RATT and on the record - Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz as OC

Do you believe Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz will be successful as Iowa's Offensive Coordinator?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Have they elaborated any further on the administrative side of this? I personally don't give a fuck but there is no way that you can just hire your son without a search for a half mil position without following due process. Is this going to be considered an "emergency" hire and it's filled for a year officially?
A. Barta is BF's boss so likely was the one who officially hired him.

B. UI hiring policy states that if an internal candidate meets the qualifications for the position (and it can be documented) and the supervisor wants to hire that person, no search is required.

MickerHawk

Drives a 22R
Reaction score
I perceive him as capable of recognizing and adopting good ideas, I just don't really trust him
to effectively revamp a passing game that's this fucked up mostly on his own and with reference primarily to his own knowledge base. And I know the good new ideas aren't coming from anyone else currently on the staff.
I think he'll be a big improvement over GD if just for the fact of his work with the Patriots and the (record setting) TE passing game, which in spots like 3rd down is probably more important than getting the WRs open, since it penalizes stacking the box against the run.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Have they elaborated any further on the administrative side of this? I personally don't give a fuck but there is no way that you can just hire your son without a search for a half mil position without following due process. Is this going to be considered an "emergency" hire and it's filled for a year officially?

B. UI hiring policy states that if an internal candidate meets the qualifications for the position (and it can be documented) and the supervisor wants to hire that person, no search is required.
That's it? No meltdowns or insults or anything?

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

That's it? No meltdowns or insults or anything?
Not my style. Sipping a nightcap and feeling good.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I couldn't find the article on Google, but I swear that GDGD was hired under similar circumstances. Like his position not officially permanent for a year or something.
correct.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2012/03/06/Sports/27342.html

also, Philbin nearly hired Davis as his OC with the Dolphins, so the blood of the last five years is on his hands.
This completely changes my opinion of Philbin. I didn't realize he was retarded.

LOL at Greg Fucking Davis coaching in the NFL let alone being an offensive coordinator. Regardless of how much money Vince Young has made, he deserves about 80% of what that fat shit has made over the past ten years.

Reaction score
Fat old men sitting at Hy-Vee and Casey's having a cup of coffee in their overalls. Dorks that work at Wells Fargo who have a man cave filled with memorabilia.

Blue collar Joe's driving all around back roads to make shitty little small dollar deals listening to local sports radio drinking their 4th cup of shitty coffee and having a dip.
You're from Muscatine, Iowa.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Fat old men sitting at Hy-Vee and Casey's having a cup of coffee in their overalls. Dorks that work at Wells Fargo who have a man cave filled with memorabilia.

Blue collar Joe's driving all around back roads to make shitty little small dollar deals listening to local sports radio drinking their 4th cup of shitty coffee and having a dip.
*Mousecatine

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
I don't care, but I'd be shocked in Ryan Foley doesn't write an article questioning it, I think he thinks AP regents reporter is going to give him a pulizter

Edit: scooped by castic, a far superior interwebz poster

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

Exactly, hence why I am so accurate in my description.

Unlike you I am not still sitting there like a turd.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Was Brian that horrible yesterday? I’m not his biggest fan but a lot of this seems to be Stanley.

though maybe that means he should know Stanley’s limitations but now...dammit

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Stanley is a cunt. Brian is a cunt enthusiast.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Was Brian that horrible yesterday? I’m not his biggest fan but a lot of this seems to be Stanley.

though maybe that means he should know Stanley’s limitations but now...dammit
Nate Stanley and Jack Nunge may be products of the same robotics lab that produced Herman Munster.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I’m not sure I wouldn’t have run that draw less successfully than Nate. He’s not exactly instinctive.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
what boggles my mind is Wisconsin has been so much better at running back over the last 10 years. Now Illinois and Minnesota are too. Fuck.

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Those teams have all been notably worse at QB too, but ferentz won't get credit there. This season is another 8-4 dog-turd . Oh yay, we don't totally suck!

With Iowa's vanilla pro-style offense, is it just easier to recruit high end pro-style, immobile QBs, whose options at the college level might otherwise be limited? Seems like we've had some statues here, good and bad. It would be nice to see an Iowa offense with a highly mobile QB again.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Those teams have all been notably worse at QB too, but ferentz won't get credit there. This season is another 8-4 dog-turd . Oh yay, we don't totally suck!

With Iowa's vanilla pro-style offense, is it just easier to recruit high end pro-style, immobile QBs, whose options at the college level might otherwise be limited? Seems like we've had some statues here, good and bad. It would be nice to see an Iowa offense with a highly mobile QB again.
Name the other statues

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score

Name the other statues
Vandenturd, Rudock, Christensen, Chandler to some extent, McCann

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
Looking at his winning percentage Brian is doing fairly well.
He has been handed 3-0 out of conference records due to ISU being our closest thing to a challenging game. 4-5 and 5-4 in the douche isn’t anything anyone besides a department sycophant would love. I’d love to see 6-3 in the conference this year, but I think the Ferentz normal of 5 (or god forbid 4) conference wins is more likely.

I also think Saturday is on the offense despite the 300 rushing yards given up by the d. If the offense moved the ball in the first half and doesn’t treat 3rd down like a shitty high school team afraid to pass, maybe we put Wiscy in a place where we’re not essentially begging them to do what they do best.

Good coaches figure out what their weapons are each year or each week or each series and then make that weapon their focus. Kirk has decided that the only weapon an Iowa team will ever have is a defense and Brian hasn’t figured out how to put an offense together to change his mind.

Besides a bowl game, we haven’t beaten a team to whom we were expected to lose for two years now. Losing all three games in that category this year (so far), and losing them with an offense that looks like what we had in 2007 and 2014, is pretty disappointing. It’s difficult to see a Brian-led offense taking us to the douche title game right now.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Getting to iowa’s level is so easy that I am surprised there are so many job openings every season.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Ken O’Keefe: sucked
Greg Davis: sucked
Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz: sucks
Next OC: will suck

RiotFan

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
A wildcat look with Goodson at QB and a jet sweep option/action with Tracy would be a nice look. Maybe even a good 2 point conversion play? You know, get the ball to your best weapons...A defense seeing that out of Iowa might shit their pants.

You don’t have to have a wholesale change in philosophy. You don’t have to make coaching changes. Just be flexible enough in your coaching and schemes that try to free up your play-makers to make plays.

And for the love of GOD get to the LOS with more than 10 seconds on the play clock.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
Assuming that Brian is hired as HC and assuming he continues to implement the same basic schemes as Kirk (with similar results),we could be looking at 40 years of some variation of this offense. So in 2039, when I’m 59, I could be watching Iowa inexplicably run off-tackle to the short side of the field.

At some point, the risk of trying someone/something new and have it fail is more appealing than watching the same thing for 3-4 decades.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Assuming that Brian is hired as HC and assuming he continues to implement the same basic schemes as Kirk (with similar results),we could be looking at 40 years of some variation of this offense. So in 2039, when I’m 59, I could be watching Iowa inexplicably run off-tackle to the short side of the field.

At some point, the risk of trying someone/something new and have it fail is more appealing than watching the same thing for 3-4 decades.
I have no idea why people worry about shit like this. The odds of Brian even following Kirk, not to mention him also continuing to do the same stuff as head coach, are next to nil. But by all means, let’s continue to use it as a negative talking point in the present day.

Kirk will likely be here longer than the current AD.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Not to pick on @L. Wade Childress (but seriously though fuck @L. Wade Childress) why do people treat this like it's about offensive philosophy and not like it's a concern that Brian just might not actually be that good at this?

How do you watch Iowa get stuffed for no gain on every single audible out of I formation and respond "WeLl AcTuAlLy IoWa RuNs A cOnSeRvAtIvE sTyLe!"

I get that Iowa isn't going to come out running some crazy Oregon style scheme, but unless you think Iowa is trying to have a really shitty run game it's not really about style.

BngHawk

Nextdoor Mod
Reaction score
Brian is not very good at it and neither is his supervisor. He’s running iowa’s offense with the skills of a DMV employee.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Not to pick on @L. Wade Childress (but seriously though fuck @L. Wade Childress) why do people treat this like it's about offensive philosophy and not like it's a concern that Brian just might not actually be that good at this?

How do you watch Iowa get stuffed for no gain on every single audible out of I formation and respond "WeLl AcTuAlLy IoWa RuNs A cOnSeRvAtIvE sTyLe!"

I get that Iowa isn't going to come out running some crazy Oregon style scheme, but unless you think Iowa is trying to have a really shitty run game it's not really about style.
Well probably because the results look pretty similar but how we get there looks vastly different. That tells me it’s an issue with overarching philosophy rather than tactics.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
The only teams to score more against wisconsin this year are Ohio State and Illinois, who both played in their home stadiums.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

Well probably because the results look pretty similar but how we get there looks vastly different. That tells me it’s an issue with overarching philosophy rather than tactics.
Our 3rd down and 2 point conversion percentage indicate he is not a good play caller. I don’t think it is a “zone blocking sucks” thing.

thrawn

Reaction score

S&P+ offense ranking

2005 - 13
2006 - 27
2007 - 82
2008 - 19
2009 - 72
2010 - 19
2011 - 33
2012 - 97
2013 - 58
2014 - 45
2015 - 63
2016 - 68
2017 - 66
2018 - 54
2019 - 70 (can only find through week 9)

avg:
KO: 37.8
GD: 66.2
BF: 63.3

S&P+ is tempo- and opponent-adjusted so it’s a good year-to-year measure and not influenced much by protecting the defense etc

I don’t really care how they get there style-wise, but the BF offenses have been around the GD meh level. Iowa has shown they can produce much better. If they were putting up top 40 offenses like with KOK they would be winning an extra game or two most years.

Last edited:

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Right, the Hayden and KOK years were not this level of offensive sub mediocrity. Brian has been modestly better than Greg in terms of passing game design, but only modestly and that’s it in terms of the upgrade, imo. I was hoping for more.