RATT and on the record - Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz as OC

Do you believe Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz will be successful as Iowa's Offensive Coordinator?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Not to pick on @L. Wade Childress (but seriously though fuck @L. Wade Childress) why do people treat this like it's about offensive philosophy and not like it's a concern that Brian just might not actually be that good at this?

How do you watch Iowa get stuffed for no gain on every single audible out of I formation and respond "WeLl AcTuAlLy IoWa RuNs A cOnSeRvAtIvE sTyLe!"

I get that Iowa isn't going to come out running some crazy Oregon style scheme, but unless you think Iowa is trying to have a really shitty run game it's not really about style.
Well probably because the results look pretty similar but how we get there looks vastly different. That tells me it’s an issue with overarching philosophy rather than tactics.
Our 3rd down and 2 point conversion percentage indicate he is not a good play caller. I don’t think it is a “zone blocking sucks” thing.
What about last year?

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
back to back shitty years of coaching for Ferentz. 3 games left and already out of division race. No excuse with all the NFL talent

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Well probably because the results look pretty similar but how we get there looks vastly different. That tells me it’s an issue with overarching philosophy rather than tactics.
Our 3rd down and 2 point conversion percentage indicate he is not a good play caller. I don’t think it is a “zone blocking sucks” thing.
What about last year?
They were bad in 3rd and short and on 2 point conversions. They were ok on 3rd and medium/long.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Is it me, or does our running attack seem extremely easily blown the fuck up, relative to other comparable situations talent-wise? Our D certainly doesn’t seem to stack up running plays the way ours get stacked up in games against decent opponents.

I wonder how our number of rushing attempts yielding 2 or fewer yds compares nationally.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
the OL played pretty well Saturday. Wish Goodson would have got more carries. The runs Young gets 9 yards on would be 20 yards or more with Goodson running

Bob

Reaction score
Is it me, or does our running attack seem extremely easily blown the fuck up, relative to other comparable situations talent-wise? Our D certainly doesn’t seem to stack up running plays the way ours get stacked up in games against decent opponents.

I wonder how our number of rushing attempts yielding 2 or fewer yds compares nationally.
It's not you. They've been one of the worst teams in the country on third and three or less, and that's been true for several years now, so it's not just the interior line being ass this season. Everyone knows exactly what we're doing and we almost never do anything to make them pay for selling out against us.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

I personally think it has more to do with Iowa's D having less idea exactly what the fuck the other team is about to do, unlike other teams with Iowa's run game.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

Maybe it is just longing eyes and personal bias, but I they want to run the play clock and possess the ball they need to run more shifts and motions. They can still run the same shit, just slow the defense down a little (like the Rams, Packers, 49ers etc).

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
For as much time as they have spent around Belichek, the Ferentz’s have managed to pick up absolutely none of his aggressiveness.

Bob

Reaction score
Vint brought this up on Twitter but it's infuriating that they watched NDSU run all over us, were impressed enough by it to go out and hire their coordinator as OLine coach, and then instead of incorporating anything from that offense (which is awesome and could absolutely work with the types of kids we can recruit) they just told him to coach the exact same thing we've been doing for 20 years.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Vint brought this up on Twitter but it's infuriating that they watched NDSU run all over us, were impressed enough by it to go out and hire their coordinator as OLine coach, and then instead of incorporating anything from that offense (which is awesome and could absolutely work with the types of kids we can recruit) they just told him to coach the exact same thing we've been doing for 20 years.
They have incorporated some of that stuff. Not enough, but they do some of it.

Reaction score
They do a lot of Gap Power concepts and very effective at it. They have better fullbacks than we do and that’s a glaring issue with our run game.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Really doesn't make sense that they don't run out of the shotgun. To run out of the shotgun you basically have to be a zone scheme, it is set up perfect for them in their principles.

They're just too committed to the fullback I formation.

Bob

Reaction score
Really doesn't make sense that they don't run out of the shotgun. To run out of the shotgun you basically have to be a zone scheme
This isn't true! Lots of teams run power and trap plays out of shotgun now. That's one of the things I would have loved to take from NDSU.

Iowa has run a lot out of shotgun this year, it mostly doesn't work because you lose most of the advantage of running out of shotgun when the QB can't run.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Really doesn't make sense that they don't run out of the shotgun. To run out of the shotgun you basically have to be a zone scheme
This isn't true! Lots of teams run power and trap plays out of shotgun now. That's one of the things I would have loved to take from NDSU.

Iowa has run a lot out of shotgun this year, it mostly doesn't work because you lose most of the advantage of running out of shotgun when the QB can't run.
Of course teams run power and trap out of it. But almost all of them also have zone concepts mixed in. The broader point was if they refuse to get divorced from the zone scheme they can still do it out of shotgun without inviting 80% of the defensive players into the box.

Bigger picture wise they need to accept that they’re not Wisconsin. Wisconsin is light years ahead of them and they’re not going to catch them trying to play like them.

Bob

Reaction score
They're not really trying to be Wisconsin now unless you think all teams that use a fullback are the same

CamelTones

Reaction score
I’m not saying LITERALLY Wisconsin, I’m saying they think they can line up and run against 9 guys in the box.

Zone or gap doesn’t matter. There are ways to get it done in either system. Iowa has shown for about 10 years now that they can’t for a multitude of reasons. One being quality of running back.

thrawn

Reaction score
S&P+ offense ranking

2005 - 13
2006 - 27
2007 - 82
2008 - 19
2009 - 72
2010 - 19
2011 - 33
2012 - 97
2013 - 58
2014 - 45
2015 - 63
2016 - 68
2017 - 66
2018 - 54
2019 - 61

avg:
KO: 37.8
GD: 66.2
BF: 63.3

S&P+ is tempo- and opponent-adjusted so it’s a good year-to-year measure and not influenced much by protecting the defense etc

I don’t really care how they get there style-wise, but the BF offenses have been around the GD meh level. Iowa has shown they can produce much better. If they were putting up top 40 offenses like with KOK they would be winning an extra game or two most years.

2005 - 13
2006 - 27
2007 - 82
2008 - 19
2009 - 72
2010 - 19
2011 - 33
2012 - 97
2013 - 58
2014 - 45
2015 - 63
2016 - 68
2017 - 66
2018 - 54
2019 - 61
2020 - 45
2021 - 85
2022 - 98
2023 - 86, before tonight

YPP:

2003: 73
2004: 102
2005: 22
2006: 37
2007: 108
2008: 32
2009: 79
2010: 22
2011: 61

2012: 118
2013: 85
2014: 65
2015: 53
2016: 98

2017: 103
2018: 86
2019: 84
2020: 78
2021: 121
2022: 126
2023: 76, before tonight

thrawn

Reaction score
1) KOK was not great, but there’s revisionist history on him being bad or Kirk not allowing him to be good.

2) Brian was passable for three years after a tough first year (where they did have some huge games). Then the bottom fell out.

3) hard to believe the 2021 dropoff isn’t partly due to Doyle’s departure. at a minimum it’s quite the coincidence

Last edited:

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
If we’re doing a full page ad, I feel like it should be an open letter of some sort.

Perham1

Executive Level Costco Member
Reaction score
Why would any talented offensive player objectively choose Iowa? Answer: they wouldn't.

This hurts recruiting talented defensive players as well. Why go to a school with such an impotent and incompetent OC and a head coach whose loyalty lies more toward his kid than to the team and the school?

Get rid of both Ferentzes. It has to happen someday, and as Logan Ledger said, I'm gonna get over this someday I might as well get over it now.

Excise the football cancer that is the Ferentzes. Will the operation kill the patient? Maybe so, but something has to be done.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Mandel:

13. Iowa’s “Drive for 325” is becoming increasingly sad and pathetic. No. 7 Penn State shut out the No. 24 Hawkeyes 31-0 in the annual White Out game, and that bagel doesn’t even do it justice. Iowa, a purported Top 25 team, had 76 total yards and four first downs. Cade McNamara, the Michigantransfer who figured to be a big upgrade at quarterback, completed five passes. In the third quarter, Penn Statescored three TDs and held the ball for all but 13:26 of the 15 minutes. During the other 1:34, Iowa went three-and-out and McNamara got strip-sacked on the first play of a drive.

Anyway, for any sickos still tracking it, Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz is now averaging 21.3 points per game and will need to average 26.7 the rest of the season to get that sweet, sweet bonus money.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Dochterman:

When removing a competitive first quarter, it is much worse. Normally, you’d shrug off those statistics, but you can’t after a loss like this. Over the final three quarters, Iowa ran 21 plays for 10 yards and two first downs, both of which took place on the final drive with reserves in on both sides.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Dochterman:

When removing a competitive first quarter, it is much worse. Normally, you’d shrug off those statistics, but you can’t after a loss like this. Over the final three quarters, Iowa ran 21 plays for 10 yards and two first downs, both of which took place on the final drive with reserves in on both sides.
This is no fun at all. Fire these people responsible.