Rutgers @ Iowa Basketball Thread ~ 2/10/21 ~ 6:30pm ~ BTN

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
If you go back over the last 6 games, of the 4 losses they could have won @ Illinois and vs. Ohio State, but really it's both the losses to Indiana that shouldn't have happened. Win those and the other two losses have less of an apocalyptic feel to them.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
If you go back over the last 6 games, of the 4 losses they could have won @ Illinois and vs. Ohio State, but really it's both the losses to Indiana that shouldn't have happened. Win those and the other two losses have less of an apocalyptic feel to them.
Iowa lost 3 coin flip games. That sucks, but they were up 9+ in the second half in each one and all of them with CJ out.

I still think they are going to go on a run here to end the year. Garza has been off and will get back on sooner than later.

HawkBall23

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa lost 3 coin flip games. That sucks, but they were up 9+ in the second half in each one and all of them with CJ out.

I still think they are going to go on a run here to end the year. Garza has been off and will get back on sooner than later.
If CJF can stay somewhat healthy, JoeW shows out for full games like tonight, and Luka gets back to his dominant self; this team absolutely can go on a run - despite the competition and game locations.

BngHawk

Florida Man
Reaction score
Man, working in Fareway’s produce dept, I can tell you...I’ve seen some things.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’m not really sure what Rutgers offensive strategy is. They just dribble a lot.

Reaction score
Connor hardly played, I'm ok with that. He's been terrible lately. That late pass he threw up when pressed was pathetic, thankfully rutgers forced a quick shot that was an equally terrible look. Could have gotten much too close for comfort if they got that 3.

Reaction score
CJ needs to get his shit figured out after the season. Get that mfer drinking whole milk or something. Hes the basketball version of tony moeaki

Hawk4Life94

Douche4Life who uses musical Christmas lights
Reaction score
CJ needs to get his shit figured out after the season. Get that mfer drinking whole milk or something. Hes the basketball version of tony moeaki
Pretty sure it's a plantar deal. Those suck. Had it. You have to wait it out with cortisone shots in the arch of the foot, or they reattach it surgically.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
With about 8-10 minutes left, it felt like Iowa was going down the path of losing a ten point lead again. CJ got a defensive rebound off a wide open missed 3 and then got a loose ball on offense, plus two easy finds to Luka down low. Without those few plays, I’m sure buttholes would have puckered.

Connor, JoeT and Nunge barely played in the second half and that seemed okay. I do wish bohannon was off the ball more. He was a bit overmatched against that D as the PG. Glad it wasn’t something that cost the game. JoeT’s TO at the end of the first half pissed me off.

One last thing, fuck Hulu and the BTN. Had to record the game due to a church thing for my son. Got home and turned the game on and there were 4 minutes left when the recording started because the early game ran long. BTN never has 3 games in a night during the week. Of course it fucks me when they finally do it.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
With about 8-10 minutes left, it felt like Iowa was going down the path of losing a ten point lead again. CJ got a defensive rebound off a wide open missed 3 and then got a loose ball on offense, plus two easy finds to Luka down low. Without those few plays, I’m sure buttholes would have puckered.

Connor, JoeT and Nunge barely played in the second half and that seemed okay. I do wish bohannon was off the ball more. He was a bit overmatched against that D as the PG. Glad it wasn’t something that cost the game. JoeT’s TO at the end of the first half pissed me off.

One last thing, fuck Hulu and the BTN. Had to record the game due to a church thing for my son. Got home and turned the game on and there were 4 minutes left when the recording started because the early game ran long. BTN never has 3 games in a night during the week. Of course it fucks me when they finally do it.
This happened to me with YTTV. Recording started almost at halftime.

CamelTones

Reaction score
That’s pretty much when anyone not watching on the Fox Sports app started watching.

I hope when streaming becomes the norm, they just send you to another ‘channel’ to stream the game you want rather than forcing you to watch double overtime of a game you don’t want to watch.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
JoeT gets hardly any minutes anymore and Ulis played in the second half and I don’t think joe did

I still think Ulis is the starter next year but I hope Fran isn’t running Joe off. They are going to need him

douglasbader

Reaction score
JoeT gets hardly any minutes anymore and Ulis played in the second half and I don’t think joe did

I still think Ulis is the starter next year but I hope Fran isn’t running Joe off. They are going to need him
I don't think he is trying to run him off. He keeps giving Toussaint the first PG sub and minutes and Toussaint consistently keeps fucking it up the same exact way. He's had like one decent game in the last 10.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Garza needs to calm down with the pump fakes.
Also, they stopped showing his dad in the stands. Was there an attendance change for conference games?

Reaction score
I'm not going to fact check it, but someone on twitter mentioned Toussaint has committed a quarter of the team's turnovers despite being 9th in total minutes. I'm not sure that screams more playing time.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
I don't think he is trying to run him off. He keeps giving Toussaint the first PG sub and minutes and Toussaint consistently keeps fucking it up the same exact way. He's had like one decent game in the last 10.
Joe T is not nearly as good as most fans seem to think he is. He just brings something different (namely, athleticism) we aren’t used to seeing at the position so we overrate him.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I would temper any expectations for a run. As the big ten season moves on it usually gets more rapey, not less. Not particularly to our advantage.

That said, I'd bet the house on us rolling into Ann Arbor and beating Michigan. We win that game if we arent collectively broke from the outside.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Joe T is not nearly as good as most fans seem to think he is. He just brings something different (namely, athleticism) we aren’t used to seeing at the position so we overrate him.
Kinda like in Bohannons sophomore year people wanted Dailey to be the pg because he had 1 good game and they couldn’t guard anyone.

Reaction score
Right. He keeps getting first opportunity and lately he's been a trainwreck almost immediately. He's played 16 minutes the last 3 games and has 4 turnovers, 0-3 from the floor and 3 fouls. He definitely could've been credited with another turnover tonight. He's a mess right now. Everyone wants him to be good but it's tough to watch right now.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I was hoping for more from Tousaint this year. Still has a ton of potential.

Reaction score
Toussaint's offensive rating right now is 92.3. Every other player is above 111 which is remarkable. In Big Ten games his rating is 86.3 while everyone else is above 103.

He has 17 turnovers in 122 Big Ten minutes. He's shooting 37% from 2 and 0-3 from 3 plus 68% from the line with two late misses that led to a loss. Committing 7 fouls per 40 minutes.

Reaction score
With that said, bohannon was a mess for a good stretch of that game which makes Toussaint's struggles even more important. Connor is in a major funk and was hurt. I wish they trusted Ulis more but for whatever reason, they don't seem to.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I don’t mean intentionally running him off but more Joe getting pissed at playing time and leaving even though he has a path to big minutes next year.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Writing off people who have a decent history of production ranks among my favourite HaLos.
Right up there with “will never get any better!!!!”

Reactions: BBK

douglasbader

Reaction score
Garza needs to calm down with the pump fakes.
Also, they stopped showing his dad in the stands. Was there an attendance change for conference games?
I think there is a pretty clear guideline from the Big Ten to not show any fans in the stands on the broadcast now.

Reaction score
Writing off people who have a decent history of production ranks among my favourite HaLos.
If you're talking about Toussaint, I'm not sure it fits here. He's basically the same guy with the same mistakes as last year. I'm not writing him off and was hoping/expecting he'd make a leap this year. Last year he had a 93.5 ORtg, 91.1 in the Big Ten. Shot 40% from 2 and 30% from 3.

I still hope he improves next year with more regular minutes but there's reason to be skeptical and also enough to think that Ulis is the better prospect.

CamelTones

Reaction score
With that said, bohannon was a mess for a good stretch of that game which makes Toussaint's struggles even more important. Connor is in a major funk and was hurt. I wish they trusted Ulis more but for whatever reason, they don't seem to.
Well, Ulis decided to attack Johnson in the paint. It was not a great decision that ended poorly. As frustrating as it can be to watch bohannon bring the ball up against pressure, he doesn’t usually make some of the blatant bad decisions that other guys do. Only really bad one I remember was when he tried to throw a 5 foot bounce pass to a completely guarded Murray. The ball he dribbled out of bounds before the under 4 minute timeout was more fluke than anything.

I really don’t understand Frans substitutions though. Is it really that hard to stagger subs with the starters so at least 2 or 3 are on the floor at all times?

CamelTones

Reaction score
Joe T will be a much better fit on next years team that will rely more on drive and kick than the current roster that ideally works inside out.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
It's like people forget the total stiffs we've given significant minutes to over the years, even on good teams. And the amazingness that some of those stiffs have actually ended up being very good players by their senior year.

Touissant has some bad moments and I agree Ulis has a better future, but in the annals of Iowa basketball history, Touissant is deserving of reserve sainthood, and Fran should be positioning himself for a rusty trombone to bring him back.

Reaction score
I really don’t understand Frans substitutions though. Is it really that hard to stagger subs with the starters so at least 2 or 3 are on the floor at all times?
I didn't have a problem with much tonight. CJ's situation and Connor made that trickier. Otherwise Joe and Luka both played 35, Jordan played 32 so they were out there together most of the time. Keegan got 27 and is basically a starter now. I like Ulis and Perkins playing together for a couple minutes.

Reaction score
Well, Ulis decided to attack Johnson in the paint. It was not a great decision that ended poorly. As frustrating as it can be to watch bohannon bring the ball up against pressure, he doesn’t usually make some of the blatant bad decisions that other guys do. Only really bad one I remember was when he tried to throw a 5 foot bounce pass to a completely guarded Murray. The ball he dribbled out of bounds before the under 4 minute timeout was more fluke than anything.

Didn't help that Young was fouling him all the way down the lane and he was already off balance when he went up. I actually like the decision considering how aggressive Young had been playing and that Iowa was in the bonus. That's a foul a majority of the time.

bohannon's turnover was a fluke, LOL. I'm in the bohannon needs rest and Ulis is the best option camp.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
And the game to game swings. The frontrunner for the Naismith is the only guy who doesnt get a regular dose of "x should take all of y's minutes!!!"

douglasbader

Reaction score
If you're talking about Toussaint, I'm not sure it fits here. He's basically the same guy with the same mistakes as last year. I'm not writing him off and was hoping/expecting he'd make a leap this year. Last year he had a 93.5 ORtg, 91.1 in the Big Ten. Shot 40% from 2 and 30% from 3.

I still hope he improves next year with more regular minutes but there's reason to be skeptical and also enough to think that Ulis is the better prospect.
I think the bigger question is who/what is Toussaint and how does he fit in this year. On an offensive juggernaut of a team, he pretty clearly is the worst offensive player along with Connor.

The ideal role would be a backup PG that comes in and plays lock down defense, doesn't turn the ball over and gets it to the other guys and gets the fuck out of the way unless he really is needed to penetrate late in games if they are down or struggling to get by better defenders.

He plays ok defense, certainly better than bohannon, but that isn't saying a whole lot. He can't shoot. He appears to have problems dribbling and staying upright. He's the opposite of a calming force with the ball in his hands.

It's just a bad fit for this team. Next year as Camel points out he fits in a lot more when they likely will be playing a different style that fits more with a drive and kick team.

This isn't writing him off, at least not yet, but I don't think he ever is going to be the type of floor general that you need running PG. He's far too aggressive for that.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I thought it was interesting they actually had Perkins playing PG for a few possessions and bringing the ball up the court.

They have some real confidence in him and think he is going to be a hell of a player.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
All valid, Dougie.

Trying to think of better back up PGs we've had in my lifetime, however. I suppose I can dmofr.