St. Louis Recommendations

Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow for St. Louis for Covid Relief Support. Be down there a week staying near the airport (Berkeley). What are must sees and place to eat (I can expense all food).

I want to try Chuck-a-Burger as it is close. What else? I heard St. Louis pizza sucks but still want to try different things. I heard Bogarts BBQ but bot sure I want to venture downtown.

@coff
@Reggie Dunlop

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
You should probably head over to the main forum. I think you might get better responses over there.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Sugarfire is good BBQ with several locations.

Bogarts also good but understand if you don’t want to go downtown.

Don’t get IMO’s pizza under any circumstances. Plenty of others good shit though. Dewey’s is great and Sauce on the Side has the best calzones I’ve ever had and it ain’t close.

No idea what’s close to where you are staying, but post here whatever you are considering and we can give it a thumbs up or down.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I love St. Louis and people clown me for it.

Eat some great Italian food on the Hill and head over Laclede's and get your stanky leg on.

Reaction score
Working an extremely shitty shift of starting at 1700 starting Monday. Really limits night life options. Almost everything I do needs done daytime with limited drinking.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Working an extremely shitty shift of starting at 1700 starting Monday. Really limits night life options. Almost everything I do needs done daytime with limited drinking.
Sounds serious if military time is being used.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Not going to be the same with Covid anyway. Only so many places allowing people. May have to be more delivery/carry out options unfortunately.

Also, Pastaria in Clayton is fan fucking tastic. Worth a carry out if dine in isn’t available.

Reaction score
Nah I do payroll on military time to avoid fuckups (I once paid someone 100 hours in a week for not putting in a "P" into Kronos so he got paid from 0700 to 0300 for 5 days. Never made that mistake again. Plus my brother's military. The 24 hour clock is far superior and I use it constantly.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
Not going to be the same with Covid anyway. Only so many places allowing people. May have to be more delivery/carry out options unfortunately.

Also, Pastaria in Clayton is fan fucking tastic. Worth a carry out if dine in isn’t available.
but you better go now.You don’t know the long term effects Covid will have on them.

coff

Strip Mall Attorney & Scholar
Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow for St. Louis for Covid Relief Support. Be down there a week staying near the airport (Berkeley). What are must sees and place to eat (I can expense all food).

I want to try Chuck-a-Burger as it is close. What else? I heard St. Louis pizza sucks but still want to try different things. I heard Bogarts BBQ but bot sure I want to venture downtown.

@coff
@Reggie Dunlop
Sugar Fire (several locations) is better than Bogart's. Bogart's is in Soulard, not really downtown. If you go to Soulard there is a good Mexican joint called Chavas. Since you are staying in Berkely (shithole) you are not far from the Ferguson Brewery, which is a very good spot. Chuck-a-Burger is okay, but there is a hot dog joint called Woofies that is better, and near where you are.

Right now is not the best time to really explore and enjoy St. Louis, but have fun, and PM me with any questions.

Reaction score
I’d recommend staying somewhere else.

Pastaria is great and just down 170. Get a reservation online, it’s easy. You’ll have to mask up there for sure, the owner is very vocal about it. It’s the financial district so fairly open parking in the evening. Quite safe as well. Park in the garage above the restaurant and they will validate.

Reaction score
Work booked and paid for the hotel, so else where isn't an option.

I will try to hit up Pastaria, Woofies, and Sugar Shack the next few days. All three seem really close (<10 minutes), and all have lunch options some of the days.

Thanks to all.

coff

Reaction score

I will try to hit up Pastaria, Woofies, and Sugar Shack the next few days. All three seem really close (<10 minutes), and all have lunch options some of the days.

Thanks to all.
Sugar Fire

Reaction score
Damn. I wanted to hear a report on the Sugar Shack.

coff

Reaction score

Thanks to all.
How about an update? What places did you try? I hope you made it to the Ferguson brewery.

Reaction score
How about an update? What places did you try? I hope you made it to the Ferguson brewery.
The whole trip was basically a fiasco. Work booked my room for Sunday through Friday night, and I was going to extend it a day on my own and see some sites Saturday afternoon/night. As mentioned, I was working a late second-shift so couldn't see/do much other than food during the week.

Monday I did Chuck-a-burger, Tuesday Sugar Fire (it was very good and reasonable, thank you for the recommendation). I was going to do Woofies Wednesday, Pastarias Thursday, and Imo's (was recommended by people at work) on Friday. Saturday I was going to visit downtown on my own and also the Ferguson Brewery, then head back Sunday. Wasn't to be.

Late Tuesday I was called by my boss that Tuesday was my last night, as we had to support Cedar Rapids who was without power and hadn't worked in two days, and I was necessary back home for smooth operation. So I worked Tuesday night, slept a little, and headed back Wednesday.

We were booked through work at The Renaissance St. Louis Hotel, which seemed nice enough, but as you said the area is a shithole. On Tuesday I saw a nicer SUV with plastic over a window in the hotel parking lot, and when I got to work Tuesday night I was told by others who were staying at the hotel through work that one of them had a window smashed along with other vehicles.

I do plan on going back to visit sometime, probably as a mini-vacation with the family in the next year. I saw enough to know I would like to see more. I do thank all for the recommendations, and will revisit this thread when I return.

Last edited:

Has His Own Office
Reaction score
This is all I need to know about you, poser.
I have tried narrow gauge multiple times and was never impressed. But if your subpar palate says it's tasty, well then more power to you.

Has His Own Office
Reaction score
I have tried narrow gauge multiple times and was never impressed. But if your subpar palate says it's tasty, well then more power to you.
Now Side Project sours? mmmmmmm

Reaction score
Bogart's>Sugar Fire>Pappy's imho. although Pappy's girls all had very nice yoga pants. fyi: its been a couple years since ive been to stl.

if someone ever tells you to order Imo's, just punch them in the face. dont say anything, just punch them!

coff

Reaction score
Bogart's>Sugar Fire>Pappy's imho. although Pappy's girls all had very nice yoga pants. fyi: its been a couple years since ive been to stl.

if someone ever tells you to order Imo's, just punch them in the face. dont say anything, just punch them!
Uh, No. Bogart's is not better than Sugar Fire.

thrawn

Reaction score

thanks, who r u