**Texas Tech vs. Iowa Basketball Thread - 11/28/19 - 7pm - FS1**

Reaction score
I imagine Fran has high blood pressure looking at how red he gets and stressed out during games. Sitting and staying relaxed as much as possible was probably advised by his doctor.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
This win essentially completely erases the loss to Depaul.

It also helps that Depaul is looking great. They play Texas Tech at home next week.
DePaul is pretty damn good. Good athletic bigs, they can shoot and they have a great PG. I think they make some big noise this season.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
90% of HaLo would have swallowed a sword to keep this game within 10 points pre-game. Post-game huge win...90% of HaLo bitching about one player than had a great first half that helped the team win the fucking game.
Nah, it is a discussion board and most of us are discussing. Everyone agrees he had a great first half and then had a dogshit end of the game. It happens.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
90% of HaLo would have swallowed a sword to keep this game within 10 points pre-game. Post-game huge win...90% of HaLo bitching about one player than had a great first half that helped the team win the fucking game.
You could have saved a lot of typing

“HaLo”

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This might be nothing, but has anyone else noticed that Fran is basically sitting throughout the entire games this season? It stood out to me during the home games, thought maybe it was just cupcake game stuff. One of the games, Speraw was up and doing more communicating. Tonight he was still making some calls but hardly ever got up during live ball situations.
Speculation as to the reason?

I've noticed it, but not especially so until your mention. His face has seemed much less red (so far) this year.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Couldn't have opened this 7-game stretch of brutal schedule difficulty any better.

Not sure I fully agree with the hyperbole the announcers used that the game "felt like an NCAA Tourney game in November", but it was a really good game with a great fucking outcome.
it felt exactly like a tourney game. Both fanbases were drunk and into it. Entertaining game with lots of big plays.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This win essentially completely erases the loss to Depaul.

It also helps that Depaul is looking great. They play Texas Tech at home next week.
DePaul is pretty damn good. Good athletic bigs, they can shoot and they have a great PG. I think they make some big noise this season.
DePaul is a good team, and Iowa played like shit.

shoot-the-three

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Nice win, I thought Iowa would get smoked. As mentioned Garza is a stud and I hope JBo plays all year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Garza emerging as this much of a stud is also going to really open things up for shooters, especially if Iowa continues to go small. He is going to be getting doubled all the time.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Garza emerging as this much of a stud is also going to really open things up for shooters, especially if Iowa continues to go small. He is going to be getting doubled all the time.
Assuming bohannon shuts it down I’m not sure you can go small as often. Neither touissant or Connor can shoot

Reaction score

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Assuming bohannon shuts it down I’m not sure you can go small as often. Neither touissant or Connor can shoot
If Touissant had any kind of shooting touch, he'd be impossible to keep off the floor.

When he adds a shot to his repetoire, watch the fuck out.

Reaction score
Quit being a bitch

douglasbader

Reaction score
Couldn't have opened this 7-game stretch of brutal schedule difficulty any better.

Not sure I fully agree with the hyperbole the announcers used that the game "felt like an NCAA Tourney game in November", but it was a really good game with a great fucking outcome.
it felt exactly like a tourney game. Both fanbases were drunk and into it. Entertaining game with lots of big plays.
I fucking love these tournaments and everyone has so much fun at them. Was going to take the family to Las Vegas for this but knew the shit with my mom was coming.

Hopefully they go somewhere great next year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Can we also talk about how much better Iowa looks when Fran is only able to play 7-8 guys?

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Can we also talk about how much better Iowa looks when Fran is only able to play 7-8 guys?
True.

That JoeT-Evelyn-CMac-Pemsl-Kriener lineup in the 1st half was 'woof' though, at least in terms of effective shooting percentages across the board.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Was just going to post this. I don’t think he’ll do it but if Fran would just throw out that 12 minute to 8 minute lineup in the first half the team would be so much better in the long run.

I get wanting to get guys rest, but you don’t have to put in 5 guys that don’t fit together at the same time. The best 3 point shooter in that group is Kriener.

Revolver

Reaction score
CJ Fredrick’s defense was as much of a key to the victory as anything else. Then he hit the most important shot of the night to seal it. That guy is going to be a star at Iowa.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
TTEch lost a ton of talent from last year, but beating them was still a very nice achievement. Looking like the second game will be against SD State. They're long and will present a challenge for our perimeter shooters, but we've definitely got a shot. It was fun to watch Wieskamp, Fredrick and bohannon all hitting from 3 in the first half.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Was just going to post this. I don’t think he’ll do it but if Fran would just throw out that 12 minute to 8 minute lineup in the first half the team would be so much better in the long run.

I get wanting to get guys rest, but you don’t have to put in 5 guys that don’t fit together at the same time. The best 3 point shooter in that group is Kriener.
I also want to talk about the refs in this game. Watching parts of the game again and fuck them, they were horrible.

3:30 left in the 1st half and they completely blow a 10 second violation by nearly 3 seconds. Iowa bench and fans were going nuts. Then a guy on that same play blatantly travels in the lane and the bench goes nuts again. Then they follow it up with missing a 5 second call that was legit over 5 seconds.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score

And he took one! That lineup was really bad. Can’t take all the shooter off the floor at the same time

Revolver

Reaction score

And he took one! That lineup was really bad. Can’t take all the shooter off the floor at the same time
Have you said anything positive about the win?

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Fran surprised me by limiting Evelyn and Kriener to 8 minutes a piece so he deserves credit for that but I agree that you need to get away from that lineup. This is when I wish Fran would use his timeouts and substitutions before media timeouts more strategically to find rest outside of game time.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
Even still, AZ is desperate for a sword in his mouth.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
Of fuck off. Joined the discussion like an hour after the game and i was responded to a specific post.

Tomorrow I’ll be sure to post “yeah thst was awesome” first just to make you feel good

douglasbader

Reaction score
Ok, one other thing I notice about Wieskamp is he really is taking some stupid Moss type shots. He shot 4 jumpers in this game that were off the dribble and 1 step inside the three point line.

He made 2 of them, but that is just a terrible shot in 2019. If he is going to take mid-range jumpers, get in closer or take a three.

Revolver

Reaction score

Have you said anything positive about the win?
I DMOFR. The answer is no.

Miserable AF!!!

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

I fucking love these tournaments and everyone has so much fun at them. Was going to take the family to Las Vegas for this but knew the shit with my mom was coming.

there are a fucking shitload of iowa fans here. I am the only one double fisting at the creighton game posting on halo.

We were first row and even as TTU ground down the lead the iowa kids never looked nervous. Garza was getting absolutely destroyed under the hoop. He’s just tough as fuck. The players were all feeling the emotion from the fans and vice versa. I winked at Connor and he smiled at me.

Reaction score
Great win, surprised they hell out of me. Garza has the heart of a lion and that shot by Frederick towards the end was filthy. The defensive play appeared to be greatly improved.

Go Hawks

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
These guys love to play together and there’s something to be said about that.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

there are a fucking shitload of iowa fans here. I am the only one double fisting at the creighton game posting on halo.

We were first row and even as TTU ground down the lead the iowa kids never looked nervous. Garza was getting absolutely destroyed under the hoop. He’s just tough as fuck. The players were all feeling the emotion from the fans and vice versa. I winked at Connor and he smiled at me.
Please kindly tell all the jayskers to GFT. TIA!

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Great win, surprised they hell out of me. Garza has the heart of a lion and that shot by Frederick towards the end was filthy. The defensive play appeared to be greatly improved.

Go Hawks
I wouldn't say the actual defense itself was great, in terms of technique, its just that they decided to play defense and keep playing it. Even just a little bit effort makes a lot of difference.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Has there been any word where they are going next Thanksgiving? They have done this one in Las Vegas, Battle 4 Atlantis, the Madison Square Garden one, Cayman Island and Emrald Coast and Orlando recently.

Wonder if they might be in line to go to Maui next year.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score

Has there been any word where they are going next Thanksgiving? They have done this one in Las Vegas, Battle 4 Atlantis, the Madison Square Garden one, Cayman Island and Emrald Coast and Orlando recently.

Maui already announced their field. Indiana is going next year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Here are other possible options....

Myrtle Beach
Charleston Classic
U.S. Virgin Island Paradise Jam
Air Force Reserve Hall of Fame (Uncasville, Conn)
MGM Resorts Main Event in Las Vegas
NIT Season Tip-Off (Brooklyn)
Fort Meyers Tip-Off
Roman Legends Classic (Brooklyn)
Hall of Fame Classic (Kansas City)
Cancun Challenge (think they were here in 2012)
Wooden Legacy (Anaheim)
Diamondhead Classic (Hawaii in December)

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Fran subbed way better in the second half.

Didn’t go with the zero post presence surrounded by dudes who can’t shoot lineup at all.

It’s easy to criticize Joe for disappearing in the second half but that was a fast, physical defense and the refs were, uh, letting them play.

I also thought Connor was good. He probably shouldn’t shoot threes for another year though. He, JoeT and Frederick add some toughness to the perimeter that Iowa has been missing in the past few years.

Trying not to get too excited but that was fun.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I believe they were in the Paradise Jam recently as well.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I believe they were in the Paradise Jam recently as well.
2010 was the last time I think. Was that the one that had the ridiculous local island announcers that was on a stream?

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Maui already announced their field. Indiana is going next year.
Fuck Indiana.

Can't wait for Iowa to go back to that event.

Maui will always be the 'granddaddy' of preseason tourneys.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Watching the stone cold nuts shot by CJ Fredrick and there are some fun things going on during that whole sequence. First, the bench of course goes nuts. Till holding Austin Ash like a child is pretty funny.

Pemsl had the best moment though. He grabbed the airball by bohannon and made a great save out to Fredrick (reminded me of when he was a freshman and did something similar at Wisconsin that allowed bohannon to hit the three). Then he screams, points and talks shit to those couple of dorks that were wearing Texas Tech jerseys sitting courtside they kept showing on tv.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention Fredrick making the "three" sign and smiling to Bobby Hansen who was pointing right back at him and nodding his head.

That kid is a fucking player. What a great find by Fran.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Even still, AZ is desperate for a sword in his mouth.
Nope. You are.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
I’m starting to believe CJ had a bigger impact on Moss leaving than the Moss family did

He’s easily been the biggest surprise

douglasbader

Reaction score
It was cool to see @eclone come into chat and even he said he already has changed his mind on Fredrick.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Whoever placed Luka's sutures sucks at suturing
To be fair, probably difficult to do when he can’t remain still, ever.

That hyper son of a bitch is a treat to watch. As is CJ.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It is fun having a bunch of guys who have some balls on them. bohannon, Garza, Fredrick, Toussaint, Connor and even Wieskamp (despite an off night in that category). I guess you can add in Pemsl and Kreiner to a lesser extent.

Nice change from years of having a lot of guys that would wilt more often than they should have.