Top 10 Iconic Ferentz Games - Post 2015 Edition

Reaction score
Given its the slow period of summer (absent recruiting news) I was contemplating best wins under Ferentz. 2015 changed a lot. Arguably the loss to MSU gets some consideration for how high the stakes were and how intense the game was. Anyway, based upon an objective criteria of big wins, exciting finishes, and fucking awesome beatdowns here's my list. One reason I'm posting is that even a bit in retrospect it seems more 2015 should be on here and I'm having trouble figuring out where to rank. It's getting damn hard to limit it to 10.

1. 2005 (2004 season) Capital One Bowl - duh
2. 2008 Penn State - also duh. A re-arrival statement game.
3. 2009 @Michigan State
4. 2002 @Michigan (#9). 34-9 beatdown of top 10 team on road. Firmly announced 2002 team's dominance.
5 2009 @Penn State (#5). Clayborn.
6. 2015 Pitt. Night game, Koehn.
7. 2015. @Nebrantska. Aside from being our second win over Nebrantska this clined the best regular season in Iowa history.
8. (tie) 2004/2005 Wisconsin. 2004 clinched big ten title vs #9 Wisconsin. Emotional Ferentz. A 30-7 beatdown over Alvarez. 2005 was a disappointing year but that Wisconsin we beat Barry Alvarez in his final home game.
9. 2010 (2009 Season) Orange Bowl. BCS win.
10. (tie) 2002/2008 @Minnesota. Both signature Iowa fandom experiences.
2002: Teardown opposing teams goalposts.
2008:On here because this equals any post game message board joyousness I can recall. Utter 55-0 beatdown of legitimate rival. Shon Greene. Lois Feldman incident.

First out:
11. @2015 NW. 40-10 beatdown of what became a 10-2 team. Announced team was legit. Looked bleak after Canzeri injury and already no Daniels, but then ... Akrum Wadley.

Others to consider?:

2000 Michigan State. They were actually ranked #25. Ferentz's first b10 win. Turning point where it seemed like he might be successful. Matt Rogers was Iowa's quarterback in 90-91.
2001 Alamo Bowl. Ferentz's first bowl win (and appearance). Set tone for '02.
2002 @Penn State. Great game. Got us on the right rack. They were actually ranked #12.
Note: No Iowa State games on here, as it should be. None even really considered.
2003: Michigan. 30-27. They were ranked top ten and ultimately played in the Rose Bowl that year.
2004 (2003 season) Outback Bowl. Beatdown over an SEC team.
2004 Ohio State. We don't beat them often (this is Ferentz's only win) and this was a slaughter.
2004. @Penn State. 6-4. Quintessential Ferent game.
2009 (2008 season) Outback Bowl. Beatdown over an SEC team.
2010 Michigan State (#5). Disappointing year but we *crushed* Michigan State. This was their only regular season loss. If they won this they would have been playing for a natty. Fuck Dantonio 4ever.
2011 Michigan (#13). Good win over a decent Michigan team that only lost 2 games all year.
2013 @Nebrantska. Highly satisfying beat down win for our first win in the Nebrantska series. False start for Ferentz 3.0.
2015 @Wisconsin. Realistically our best game of the year but ugly otherwise it probably makes list.

That's 25 games and Ferent's best 25 wins - other suggestions? To channel cid, here's to many more this year.
image.jpg

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Aside: while I enjoy every Iowa foray into memory lane like this, I did have a moment where I chuckled audibly at ISU fan's putting together a top 10 wins for Rhoads where essentialyl every win over Iowa or a top 25 team was the top five and by 8 they were including wins over Northern Illinois and UNI.

Its damn nice to have actual football history and two iconic coaches in a row that go back to before most of us can remember.

Fuck, Ferentz beat Barry Alvarez in his final home game/rivalry game (Wisconsin was ranked too) and its not a top 10 Ferentz win unless you cheat like I did.
2005 was a really odd year. Played awful against OSU and ISU, somehow lost the Michigan and NW games and had 3 surprise performances against Minnesota, Wisconsin and Purdue. I believe they started the Purdue game down 7-0 after Purdue went right down the field. Then faced like 3rd and 21 that Clinton Solomon took to the house.

Matt Sherman was Iowas starting quarterback in 1997.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
We should set up a 64 or 128 game tournament bracket and decide this via polls!
@Revolver could do that and @douglasbader could bow him over 300 times for the effort.
Kirk only has 115 wins at Iowa. Which isn't the best number for a bracket...

But I can make it work.
That'd actually be fun revisiting all of the Ferentz era games, and I'd play the hell out of it should you set up the bracket.

Creed

Doesn't go to the dentist
Reaction score
Would Western Michigan in 2007 be the #115 seed?

Creed

Doesn't go to the dentist
Reaction score
Ah yes. I was thinking we'd be ranking all of his games. Your label of dumbfuck is indeed the right one.

Reaction score
2003 Michigan is probably the best Iowa game that I've seen in person, and it seems to get lost in a lot of these conversations. Michigan scored 14 pretty quickly, and it looked like Iowa was going to get run out of Kinnick that day. The crowd was electric and wouldn't let the team quit. Razor Ramon had some huge kick/punt returns that day to spark the offense, and the defense took over in the second half. When John Navarre was trying to lead them back on the final drive, it's the loudest I've ever heard Kinnick. Nathan Chandler played with some balls of steel that day, as well. Just a great game from start to finish.

CamelTones

Reaction score
2003 Michigan is probably the best Iowa game that I've seen in person, and it seems to get lost in a lot of these conversations. Michigan scored 14 pretty quickly, and it looked like Iowa was going to get run out of Kinnick that day. The crowd was electric and wouldn't let the team quit. Razor Ramon had some huge kick/punt returns that day to spark the offense, and the defense took over in the second half. When John Navarre was trying to lead them back on the final drive, it's the loudest I've ever heard Kinnick. Nathan Chandler played with some balls of steel that day, as well. Just a great game from start to finish.
Razors TD 'catch' is still confusing to me.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
My ears were ringing it was so loud in there. Isn't that also the day Bob Sanders ran down a four-star Michigan wide receiver from about ten yards behind? the most athletic play I've ever seen in person

Reaction score
I know this is HALO so it's impossible....but it would be nice if everyone u
Didn't Chandler KTFO a Michigan DB on a TD run?

Reaction score
I am amazed that it was ruled a TD in 2003, it might get the benefit of replay now but if you watch at full speed I don't see you how you can make that call.

Reaction score
I am amazed that it was ruled a TD in 2003, it might get the benefit of replay now but if you watch at full speed I don't see you how you can make that call.
I dunno...this was before all of the catch/no catch football move etc. stuff so it seemed like a pretty straight forward calll. IIRC, it looked like he had control when he crossed the goal line...the ball was stripped well after he crossed.

Reaction score
I dunno...this was before all of the catch/no catch football move etc. stuff so it seemed like a pretty straight forward calll. IIRC, it looked like he had control when he crossed the goal line...the ball was stripped well after he crossed.
he barely had possession, I can't find video, I think it was a catch, but the ref had to judge if he had possession, secured, and crossed the plane (when the play ends if he does) on the fly...tough call to make without video to confirm

Reaction score
2004 Wisconsin

Amazing energy, huge game, Big 10 Championship presentation on the field

The 2009 game at Wisconsin was awesome, just a complete beat down at all levels in the second half

2003 Michigan was very fun

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Here are highlight of the 2003 Michigan game:

LOL @ the skill position matchup(s)...

Nathan Chandler, Eric Jensen, Razor Ramon Ochoa, Antwaan Allen & Edgar Cervantes...over Breaston, Braylon Edwards, Chris Perry & Jason Avant -- not to mention the 3 NFL players in their secondary...

Reaction score

Nathan Chandler, Eric Jensen, Razor Ramon Ochoa, Antwaan Allen & Edgar Cervantes...over Breaston, Braylon Edwards, Chris Perry & Jason Avant -- not to mention the 3 NFL players in their secondary...
This was the game tailgaters were throwing full beer cans at the Michigan team bus as it drove by the Fieldhouse lot. That was the last time I tailgated there, they built the parking ramp the following year.

Reaction score
Last edited:

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score

Fred Russell????? BTW, Iowa had 3 NFL players in it's secondary as well.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score

Fred Russell????? BTW, Iowa had 3 NFL players in it's secondary as well.
Maybe I'm overstating it, but we were loaded with guys that developed into nfl players. Michigan was loaded with NFL caliber guys from the moment they stepped on campus.

Guys like razor, Antwaan, and edgar would never get a sniff from big blue...made beating them feel all that much better...

Reaction score
My top 5 wins I was at, based purely on my emotion.
5. 2002 @ Minnesota. This was just fun, especially living in Minnesota. Whenever a rodent tries to say anything I can just say "Only visiting team to ever take goalposts".
4. 2008 Penn State.
3. 2015 @Wisconsin. It was more just a feeling of relief. And in hindsight, Iowa really could have lost that game a lot of times. The fumble at the goal line was right in front of me. It seemed like the ball was on the ground for a couple minutes as I screamed "Ball! Ball!"
2. 2002 @Michigan. I stormed the field alone. Still have some grass I plucked from the field as it was about a year before they put in field turf.
1 Capital One Bowl. I did a military press of a 250 pound man after this. And I probably could not have done half that on my best day at that point.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I was watching some old Hawkeye Historian games over lunch, I enjoy watching obscure games that have no real meaning to any season. So today I watched the 2011 Purdue game.

There were about 6 LOL moments in that game:
Iowa kicks off but its a short kick to about the 30, one of the Purdue guys tries to catch it but the ball goes flying off his chest and Iowa recovers. Iowa doesn't move the ball and Mike Myer doinks one off the upright.
A couple possessions later Purdue tried that fake punt from their own 15, the punter had no shot at getting the first down so he tries punting it after being 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and its blocked. Next play Iowa hands it off to Mikail McKall who fumbles it right back to them.
Later Tanner Miller intercepts the ball at the 1, Iowa calls a terrible pass play, Vandy is sacked and fumbles in the end zone for a Purdue touchdown.
Then of course there is the Purdue QB diving for the pylon but fumbling it off the pylon for a touchback securing the Iowa win.

I also watched the 2010 Michigan game one. Michigans defense was horrid under Rich Rod. DJK and McNutt were wide open every play and they couldn't tackle Adam Robinson.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
It looks like the Hawkeye's Homecoming is gonna be a party!