- Dec 30, 2013
- Reaction score
Given its the slow period of summer (absent recruiting news) I was contemplating best wins under Ferentz. 2015 changed a lot. Arguably the loss to MSU gets some consideration for how high the stakes were and how intense the game was. Anyway, based upon an objective criteria of big wins, exciting finishes, and fucking awesome beatdowns here's my list. One reason I'm posting is that even a bit in retrospect it seems more 2015 should be on here and I'm having trouble figuring out where to rank. It's getting damn hard to limit it to 10.
1. 2005 (2004 season) Capital One Bowl - duh
2. 2008 Penn State - also duh. A re-arrival statement game.
3. 2009 @Michigan State
4. 2002 @Michigan (#9). 34-9 beatdown of top 10 team on road. Firmly announced 2002 team's dominance.
5 2009 @Penn State (#5). Clayborn.
6. 2015 Pitt. Night game, Koehn.
7. 2015. @Nebrantska. Aside from being our second win over Nebrantska this clined the best regular season in Iowa history.
8. (tie) 2004/2005 Wisconsin. 2004 clinched big ten title vs #9 Wisconsin. Emotional Ferentz. A 30-7 beatdown over Alvarez. 2005 was a disappointing year but that Wisconsin we beat Barry Alvarez in his final home game.
9. 2010 (2009 Season) Orange Bowl. BCS win.
10. (tie) 2002/2008 @Minnesota. Both signature Iowa fandom experiences.
2002: Teardown opposing teams goalposts.
2008:On here because this equals any post game message board joyousness I can recall. Utter 55-0 beatdown of legitimate rival. Shon Greene. Lois Feldman incident.
11. @2015 NW. 40-10 beatdown of what became a 10-2 team. Announced team was legit. Looked bleak after Canzeri injury and already no Daniels, but then ... Akrum Wadley.
Others to consider?:
2000 Michigan State. They were actually ranked #25. Ferentz's first b10 win. Turning point where it seemed like he might be successful. Matt Rogers was Iowa's quarterback in 90-91.
2001 Alamo Bowl. Ferentz's first bowl win (and appearance). Set tone for '02.
2002 @Penn State. Great game. Got us on the right rack. They were actually ranked #12.
Note: No Iowa State games on here, as it should be. None even really considered.
2003: Michigan. 30-27. They were ranked top ten and ultimately played in the Rose Bowl that year.
2004 (2003 season) Outback Bowl. Beatdown over an SEC team.
2004 Ohio State. We don't beat them often (this is Ferentz's only win) and this was a slaughter.
2004. @Penn State. 6-4. Quintessential Ferent game.
2009 (2008 season) Outback Bowl. Beatdown over an SEC team.
2010 Michigan State (#5). Disappointing year but we *crushed* Michigan State. This was their only regular season loss. If they won this they would have been playing for a natty. Fuck Dantonio 4ever.
2011 Michigan (#13). Good win over a decent Michigan team that only lost 2 games all year.
2013 @Nebrantska. Highly satisfying beat down win for our first win in the Nebrantska series. False start for Ferentz 3.0.
2015 @Wisconsin. Realistically our best game of the year but ugly otherwise it probably makes list.
That's 25 games and Ferent's best 25 wins - other suggestions? To channel cid, here's to many more this year.