Trains leavin

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
No way Rudock starts this year. He wasn't even good enough to play last year.
You gotta admit there was really no reason to not play Rudock at certain times last year. If he truly is/was the 2nd best QB on the team, it's idiotic. There were plenty of times where he wouldn't have just had to hand off to run out the clock and could have actually gotten some experience. It obviously wouldn't have been against a D that was going balls out, but it also wouldn't have been against the same D he saw every day in practice. When every single other D1 program has played more than 1 QB by week 6 or so (whenever that became official), then something doesn't quite make sense.

We've been through all this before. I was honestly hoping that one of the redshirts was that much better because then not playing him would have at least made a little sense. I'm no chopsy, but Rudock still being #1 this year makes last year mind bottling.
I've never argued against this fact. You guys were just making yourself crazy by trying to use logic to explain why Rudock wasn't playing last year. All I ever said last year was that Rudock was going to be the starter this year.

And 94 is a Neanderthal.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Kirk will always, always defend high character players regardless of how shitty they are on the field. He takes the blame for everything.

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
If KF said JVB's play was anything existing in the same fucking universe as "high level" he is a dissembler or delusional. LAX or someone showed statistically it was one of the worst performances by a D1 QB in the modern era. Like 3rd worst across D1 over the last 15 yrs or so. That's what made the 100% snap allotment ever so much more outrageous. Unless, of course, Rudock is complete dogshit and worse than one of the worst QBs in the last 20 yrs.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I just read Kirk's two hour interview from Media Day last week. He certainly sounds optimistic about everywhere except for WR. I'll largely table my negativity until the Northern Illinois game, but if we lose that one, I may have to bring the 40 days of negative series back in the middle of the season.

Reaction score
I would love to sit down with KF and GDGD and hear an honest explanation why Rudock got 0 snaps last year.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I agree that it was baffling at least until I heard the story about changing his throwing motion. I can't verify that as fact but it makes perfect sense.

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
I agree that it was baffling at least until I heard the story about changing his throwing motion. I can't verify that as fact but it makes perfect sense.
I confess I did not hear that story. But he was still the only option last season and one snap away from starting. So whatever the fuck his throwing motion was, it doesn't really change things at all. 3rd worst in 15 yrs of D1 CFB. Throwing motion my balls.

Reaction score
I confess I did not hear that story. But he was still the only option last season and one snap away from starting. So whatever the fuck his throwing motion was, it doesn't really change things at all. 3rd worst in 15 yrs of D1 CFB. Throwing motion my balls.
It just blows my mind the dude they couldn't trust to take ONE snap last year as a back up is going to be the starter this year.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
If KF said JVB's play was anything existing in the same fucking universe as "high level" he is a dissembler or delusional. LAX or someone showed statistically it was one of the worst performances by a D1 QB in the modern era. Like 3rd worst across D1 over the last 15 yrs or so. That's what made the 100% snap allotment ever so much more outrageous. Unless, of course, Rudock is complete dogshit and worse than one of the worst QBs in the last 20 yrs.
Iowas' wide recievers sucked and were evidently poorly coached last year. In addition, for much of the year, the team had neither a functional line nor a functional running back. Lastly, G Davis sucked last year. Not sure Ruddock would have helped.
This year, Ferentz seems to be indicating that Davis "gets it" as far as what he can do with his scheme given Iowas talent deficiencies. THis ain't Texas or Georgia. He has a healthy line and running backs that should hopefuully be at middle of the Bigten in quality. And he has a WR coach who should at least have a better coeffiicent to give a shit that last years' coach. So maybe a better offense this year. That is, unless a shiity talent pool at WR is a killer, because that wasn't fixed I don't think.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Iowas' wide recievers sucked and were evidently poorly coached last year. In addition, for much of the year, the team had neither a functional line nor a functional running back. Lastly, G Davis sucked last year. Not sure Ruddock would have helped.
This year, Ferentz seems to be indicating that Davis "gets it" as far as what he can do with his scheme given Iowas talent deficiencies. THis ain't Texas or Georgia. He has a healthy line and running backs that should hopefuully be at middle of the Bigten in quality. And he has a WR coach who should at least have a better coeffiient to give a shit that last years' coach. So maybe a better offense this year. That is, unless a shiity talent pool at WR is a killer, because that wasn't fixed I don't think.
If anything, our WR corp is worse than last year.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Kirk also talked about the need to build schemes around the type of talent (OL, not WR or dual threat QBs) the program can consistently land, which to me really begs the question "why GDGD?"

Reaction score
Kirk also talked about the need to build schemes around the type of talent (OL, not WR or dual threat QBs) the program can consistently land, which to me really begs the question "why GDGD?"
GDGD is as baffling a hire as not giving your back up QB a single snap in an entire season.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
lol you poor guys. The season hasn't even started.

lilzaphod

He Probably Hated You, Or Would Have
Reaction score
It's like he really was just hoping to coast until his boy was going to take over the reigns. If that ends up being the case, that would be the biggest tragedy of it all.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Due to his extensive baseball career he was throwing too far over the top and giving the defense time to jump routes. They shortened his motion and didn't want to throw him into live action and revert to bad habits.

Last edited:

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
It's like he really was just hoping to coast until his boy was going to take over the reigns. If that ends up being the case, that would be the biggest tragedy of it all.
I would much rather he just give the gig to BF immediately and endured the howls of "Nepotism!!1!" than suffer through the agonies of GDGD schemes. BF was coming from one of the most dynamic offensive systems in the football universe w/ far more energy and fresh perspective than the rusting old wreck GDGD.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Due to his extensive baseball career he was throwing too far over the top and giving the defense time to jump routes. They shortened his motion and didn't want to throw him into live action and revert to bad habits.
This really sounds like something you're just totally pulling out of your ass.

Gushawk

Reaction score
We don't need a robot playing QB with this offense. Not saying this kid is a robot, but there some warning signs, IMO.

Reaction score
We don't need a robot playing QB with this offense. Not saying this kid is a robot, but there some warning signs, IMO.
I don't see how anyone can have any kind of preconceived notion of what Rudock (or Beathard or Sokol) would be like as a QB. we have nothing to go on besides HS highlights and internet scuttlebutt.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can have any kind of preconceived notion of what Rudock (or Beathard or Sokol) would be like as a QB. we have nothing to go on besides HS highlights and internet scuttlebutt.
And 2 open practices, where IMO Sokol looked the most gunslingy, Ruddock looked the most cerebral and polished, and Beathard looked the most athletic (and raw).

I agree that it's limited information, but it's not a complete vacuum.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
That's what a was told and then someone posted something similar on TOS. I already admitted that it could be bullshit though.

drbutkus

A little saying
Reaction score
I have yet to believe that Morris sees angles well. Haven't seen it IRL.

Vepr

Ignorant Slut
Reaction score
I really want to jump on the bandwagon but after last season I feel we are completely hosed. This won't stop me from cheering on the Hawks at every embarrassing turn but I feel we are going to be pummeled like helpless toddlers even against craptastic Big (what ever the fuck our conference is now) competition.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
His biggest problem, imho, was being sucked into the line scrum with his initial reaction, which was exacerbated by our horrible DL and the scrum being 2 yards farther downfield than it should have been.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
I think it has EVERYTHING to do with our DL the last 2 years. Look at how good he looked as a true freshman.

drbutkus

A little saying
Reaction score
His biggest problem, imho, was being sucked into the line scrum with his initial reaction, which was exacerbated by our horrible DL and the scrum being 2 yards farther downfield than it should have been.
Correct. See Lynch, Northern Illinois TD run.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
I hope Sokol at least gets a chance if Ruddock struggles. Hell even if he doesn't struggle I still want to see what Sokol can do. Although it is always tough to trust someone named Cody.

Vepr

Ignorant Slut
Reaction score
I am still waiting for James Vandenberg to release the pictures he has of Sally Mason with Ferentz. That is the only thing that would explain him taking every snap...

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I hope Sokol at least gets a chance if Ruddock struggles. Hell even if he doesn't struggle I still want to see what Sokol can do. Although it is always tough to trust someone named Cody.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Given that he wears his watch on his right hand, and that he appears to be entirely comfortable holding the shaft of that bottle with his left hand, I feel it fair to deduce that the guy is a southpaw jerker.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Sal doesn't always hike in the Spanish mountains, but when he does, he makes sure his hat and shirt match.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
The more I drink each night the more I think this might be one of those surprising seasons. They aren't winning at OSU but otherwise they "should" have a shot at every other game. 8-4 is not out of the question and would get some positive momentum going for the program again.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Given that he wears his watch on his right hand, and that he appears to be entirely comfortable holding the shaft of that bottle with his left hand, I feel it fair to deduce that the guy is a southpaw jerker.
I first learned that he was left handed during the great double-belt disaster of 2012.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
The more I drink each night the more I think this might be one of those surprising seasons. They aren't winning at OSU but otherwise they "should" have a shot at every other game. 8-4 is not out of the question and would get some positive momentum going for the program again.
You've been drinking.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
Had an additional IPA tonight. May have talked myself up to 8-4 plus a bowl win.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa is back this year, boyz.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Thinking back, are there any seasons other than '99 and '00 (for the most part) where Iowa has actually met expectations, good or bad? I'm starting to get the feeling that they're going to exceed expectations by all measures this year.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Thinking back, are there any seasons other than '99 and '00 (for the most part) where Iowa has actually met expectations, good or bad? I'm starting to get the feeling that they're going to exceed expectations by all measures this year.
CFS

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score
It's August, time for get overly optimistic in order to maximize the frustration around October.