Trains leavin

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Thinking back, are there any seasons other than '99 and '00 (for the most part) where Iowa has actually met expectations, good or bad? I'm starting to get the feeling that they're going to exceed expectations by all measures this year.
I'd say 01 was about what most of us expected.

03, in the wake of 02, was not entirely unexpected.

A .500 season in 07 was about the right expectation.

2011 went about according to script.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Thinking back, are there any seasons other than '99 and '00 (for the most part) where Iowa has actually met expectations, good or bad? I'm starting to get the feeling that they're going to exceed expectations by all measures this year.
I don't think it has any bearing on things, but there aren't many seasons where it has been all that close. The margin of error seems to be at least 2-3 games.

Perhaps 2011 is about the closest it gets. I think most thought it would be a 8 win season and they won 7. This year the majority of people are thinking 5 wins is where they will end up at.

If they get to 7 wins I will be more than happy moving forward with this team, but I think they can get to 8 wins.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I don't think it has any bearing on things, but there aren't many seasons where it has been all that close. The margin of error seems to be at least 2-3 games.

Perhaps 2011 is about the closest it gets. I think most thought it would be a 8 win season and they won 7. This year the majority of people are thinking 5 wins is where they will end up at.

If they get to 7 wins I will be more than happy moving forward with this team, but I think they can get to 8 wins.
Agreed.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It has been said about 50 times now, but at least we don't have to wait around to see if this season is worth watching or not. Win at home against Northern Illinois and on the road at Iowa State and I would say the odds are that Iowa is back on the right track.

Do that and you are 4-0 heading into Big Ten play with a lot of winnable games.

It is going to be crushing if they lose any of the first 3 games, especially the opener at home.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
It has been said about 50 times now, but at least we don't have to wait around to see if this season is worth watching or not. Win at home against Northern Illinois and on the road at Iowa State and I would say the odds are that Iowa is back on the right track.

It is going to be crushing if they lose any of the first 3 games, especially the opener at home.
Saw a tweet yesterday that Lynch was 71% of NIU's offense last year. Seems like it should be a fairly simple game prep. Either you kill the guy and win or don't and lose.

I don't think NIU is nearly as successful this year. I'd also be suprised if Lynch makes it the whole season.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Northern Illinois will be the tell. Lose, and the season spirals into the toilet. Win convincingly, and this is a decent bowl team. Eke out a win like last year, and the jury's to some extent still out (especially if QB play has potential and room for significant further improvement), but very likely we won't be .500 in the league as at least 6 of our opponents are significantly better than Northern Illinois.

Iowa State will be significantly less indicative of where the season is headed, IMO, win or lose. What they are isn't as clear (I suspect they'll be pretty bad), and the "rivalry road game" aspect does inject more randomness and unpredictability.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Saw a tweet yesterday that Lynch was 71% of NIU's offense last year. Seems like it should be a fairly simple game prep. Either you kill the guy and win or don't and lose.

I don't think NIU is nearly as successful this year. I'd also be suprised if Lynch makes it the whole season.
I agree. They have their 3rd new coaching staff in the last few years, lost most of their defense and they aren't going to surprise anyone. Lynch also has a lot of pressure on him to repeat what they did last year.

Hoping this is a case where expectations for Northern Illinois and supposedly the good chance to get revenge on Iowa blow up in their face and Iowa knocks the shit out of them.

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the less NIU concerns me. Their D is wiped out and Iowa will be hyped up for the home opener. Iowa's O-line and running game will be way too much for NIU.

The biggest thing to watch is Iowa's D Line. Most agree there is talent and potential on the D Line, the question is have they progressed enough to make an impact this year. If we see similar D line play from last year, the ceiling for this team is 5 wins.

Gushawk

Reaction score
It will be a great early test/challenge for whoever is playing defensive end.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
NIU is actually one of the 4 games I think Iowa will win. ISU on the road in the fading sunshine of a 5 p.m. kick just reeks of ambush. I feel like it's already 14-0 and the game is 5 weeks away yet.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
NIU is actually one of the 4 games I think Iowa will win. ISU on the road in the fading sunshine of a 5 p.m. kick just reeks of ambush. I feel like it's already 14-0 and the game is 5 weeks away yet.
Fuck you Verbal. You reek of Busch.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the less NIU concerns me. Their D is wiped out and Iowa will be hyped up for the home opener. Iowa's O-line and running game will be way too much for NIU.

The biggest thing to watch is Iowa's D Line. Most agree there is talent and potential on the D Line, the question is have they progressed enough to make an impact this year. If we see similar D line play from last year, the ceiling for this team is 5 wins.
It is cliche to say that the Lines are what actually matter, but it is the truth when it comes to Iowa. Skill positions are never very talented for the most part throughout the year when compared to other teams and they take care of themselves for the most part.

I think on size alone the D-Line will be better this year, and you have a couple guys with some real talent and a nasty streak. Carl Davis is a key, if he plays like he did in the Spring Game where he was kicking guys ass and not easily moved or blocked, then that is a huge step forward. I think that Darian Cooper is going to be a stud this year and LTP as some ass kicking to him. Get anything from the ends and Iowa is in business.

The biggest problem is the D-Line got pushed around the last couple years and couldn't push others around. I think that changes this year.

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is a likely scenario.

A couple of things give me some hope.

1) It's the third game of the year for both teams. ISU won't be able to hold much back against Tulsa so Iowa should have decent tape.

2) This is a stretch, but perhaps the new coaches will be better at motivating the team for this game. ISU ALWAYS plays this game with a much higher level of emotion. I'd like to see Iowa match.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score

1) It's the third game of the year for both teams. ISU won't be able to hold much back against Tulsa so Iowa should have decent tape.

2) This is a stretch, but perhaps the new coaches will be better at motivating the team for this game. ISU ALWAYS plays this game with a much higher level of emotion. I'd like to see Iowa match.
This is sad on some levels, but I do think that Iowa is actually going to be the more fired up team playing with less pressure and ISU is going to be feeling the heat from their fans.

It isn't also a stretch to think that Iowa State could be 0-2 going into that game.

Gushawk

Reaction score

I don't think this is true. I think ISU has UNI and bye before Iowa game.

Reaction score

I don't think this is true. I think ISU has UNI and bye before Iowa game.
Shit, you're right. ISU has UNI, bye, Iowa, then Tulsa.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I sort of like having two real live games to their one, given the fact that both teams will have quite a few important newbs and will be working out the kinks.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fuck, that is correct. Oh well, they might be 0-1 and have a ton of pressure on them either way.

Reaction score
UNI will give ISU trouble and could steal one. Mark Farley always has his guys ready to play that first game of the year.

Reaction score
Iowa State has a weird schedule

- week 2 is a bye
- week 4 is a bye
- they will go nearly a month (Sept. 14 to Oct 12.) without playing on a Saturday. they play on just two of the first six Saturdays since Tulsa and Texas are on Thursdays
- Homecoming is November 9, after Parents' Weekend and one one before Senior Day

douglasbader

Reaction score
UNI has been on the verge of winning their first game of the year against a BCS program the last 4-5 years. Lost to Iowa on a couple blocked field goals in 2009. Fucked up a game at Iowa State in 2011 and lost 20-19. Had a chance to beat Wisconsin last year right at the end of the game.

I think they steal one this year.

Gushawk

Reaction score
A QB who is contained but unharried might as well not be contained at all, particularly if he plays for Northwestern, and unless his name is Denard or Taylor.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If Iowa starts 3-0 I will drink a bottle of my own piss.

Gushawk

Reaction score
They need to and should.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Bring it the FUCK in!!!!!

It will be a happy Fall if that happens.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I also think if Iowa starts 3-0, then they start at least 5-1 if not 6-0.

Reaction score
UNI has been on the verge of winning their first game of the year against a BCS program the last 4-5 years. Lost to Iowa on a couple blocked field goals in 2009. Fucked up a game at Iowa State in 2011 and lost 20-19. Had a chance to beat Wisconsin last year right at the end of the game.

Popular opinion on Cyclone Fanatic is that ISU wins by 3 TDs.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I think that more - perhaps significantly more - than half of the BCS conference coaching staffs in the country would have this roster sitting at 3-0.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score

I'd take that bet and I don't gamble.

UNI is salty this year, ISU is replacing a ton and the ISU and Iowa games have been full of poopy pants moments for both D1 schools vs little brother.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

I'd take that bet and I don't gamble.

UNI is salty this year
AZ just starting texting me with all sorts of uni questions

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
I am not sure how the Big Ten schedule will go but Iowa is not losing to NIU and they will win in Ames. Mark the fucking tape!

Reaction score

They may not equal the 7 wins of 2011, but the roster is stronger at most positions. Vandy had some good and bad games. This year's top 3 guys clearly trump the '11 top 3. Aside from McNutt being really good, receiver is at least deeper now. TE is way better now, RB is better (Coker was a fat turtle early on, got big yards in a few games and not many in some), OL is at least deeper and bigger. DL is bigger, better and deeper. LB is better (same guys with 2 years of experience and maturity). The starting corners were better then, although Prater got embarrassed a few times that year. Whipping boy Miller should be better at FS. Bernstine did some good things, but wasn't exactly a complete safety.

The main thing to me is that the depth is much better. Most backups are pretty respectable now and some are pretty darn solid. True freshmen won't be thrown out on STs or barely played to "get ready for next year faster".

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
No idea where to put this post, but did anyone see the register this morning? Rodney Coe, page 1 at the top with a headline of something like "isu's season depends on coe"

That's right, a late qualifying, unproductive at juco, questionable decision making kid with no other bcs offers makes the front page of the register.

Oh yeah, he just happened to originally sign with iowa.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
No idea where to put this post, but did anyone see the register this morning? Rodney Coe, page 1 at the top with a headline of something like "isu's season depends on coe"

That's right, a late qualifying, unproductive at juco, questionable decision making kid with no other bcs offers makes the front page of the register.

I had the same reaction as you. Never had another offer...but it's all up to him.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

The Rag is definitely trolling.

Reaction score
Coe as ISU's defensive savior is coming from Chris Williams as well as the coaches.

I'm not sure how much of this hype is knowing that if he isn't effective they have zero chance of having a decent defense or if he really has developed into a good DT.

Watch him have the game of his life against Iowa and than sucks the rest of his career.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I feel it in my bones, boyz. This Iowa team is going to be good and surprise the fuck out of everyone leading to another 3 year run.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I just watched the video again too doug

I find it very hard to believe that we don't have the staff in place to bounce back to the top, or close.

Vepr

Ignorant Slut
Reaction score
Where did all this hope come from? It is pissing me off. You fuckers need to stop snorting Prozac and remember Greg Davis. Greg fucking Davis. Not to mention a head coach who thinks a screen pass is going for broke. We could go 3-0 to start and it won't mean dick because of who we are playing. We also have a QB that the coaching staff did not trust to take one snap let alone throw a fucking pass last year. There are motherfucking kickers, place holders, and running backs returning for some teams that have more game time passes than our QB.

Greg Davis... that is all.

:p

douglasbader

Reaction score
Where did all this hope come from? It is pissing me off. You fuckers need to stop snorting Prozac and remember Greg Davis. Greg fucking Davis. Not to mention a head coach who thinks a screen pass is going for broke. We could go 3-0 to start and it won't mean dick because of who we are playing. We also have a QB that the coaching staff did not trust to take one snap let alone throw a fucking pass last year. There are motherfucking kickers, place holders, and running backs returning for some teams that have more game time passes than our QB.

Greg Davis won a fucking National Championship, coached in another and won a Rose Bowl.

Fuck yeah!

Vepr

Ignorant Slut
Reaction score

Greg Davis won a fucking National Championship, coached in another and won a Rose Bowl.

Fuck yeah!
From the Purdue game last year...

"Vandenberg threw 1-yard pass to Zach Derby, turning the ball over on downs."

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
I really have no idea how Iowa will do. Just looking forward to watching the game Saturday with some good people and enjoying the season!