Zone Read

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
We beat them last year with the worst QB in the country. The odds of us having the worst QB in the country again seem slim.

Hostile crowd.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
We beat them last year with the worst QB in the country. The odds of us having the worst QB in the country again seem slim.

Hostile crowd.
People act like they lost to Northern Illinois last year. Northern Illinois did lose a bunch of guys, more than Iowa did, and their QB did basically nothing against the Iowa's defense except for one play. Plus Iowa plays them at home versus Soldier Field. Iowa should be favored in that game and will likely win.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Their QB was a first time starter that game last year. They won't suck. They will be better than several other teams on our schedule. Iowa will be narrowly favored; if they weren't it would a horrible, horrible signal regarding the state of Iowa football.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the meltdown.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Iowa could absolutely lose that game. No reason to meltdown. The Iowa St game would become a must win though. Start 1-2 and it is time to meltdown.

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score
I bet there were veer playes in 1913
Almost certainly. So not "hundreds" plural since football hasn't been around that long, but a really long fucking time. And it's currently a key component for a lot of great offenses at every level and is based on fairly sound theory. It's not a gimmick in the slightest.

e: 75-25 split is like service academy territory and would be a huge disaster if we're just sticking with our current running game.
Ok Chopsy.

Reaction score
While I'd feel a little sorry for Connor Boffeli if this turned out to be the starting combo, I liked seeing the tandem of Donnal at LG and Walsh at RG in the Smith catch play. Check out Walsh's pic (#15) in the Apr 13 photos. That's a pretty good hunk of baby beef.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/view.gal?id=139824

Bob

Reaction score
Almost certainly. So not "hundreds" plural since football hasn't been around that long, but a really long fucking time. And it's currently a key component for a lot of great offenses at every level and is based on fairly sound theory. It's not a gimmick in the slightest.
BCS teams are trending away from it. Alabama has been pounding the fuck out of teams in the dynamic! SEC that have been running that shit. LSU even ran it for a bit but don't anymore. It's a gimmick offense for teams that can't throw the ball.
Alabama and LSU are not beating teams with their offenses and also have the luxury of out recruiting everyone.

It's not even an offense, it's just a type of play, and one that several recent championship teams have used effectively. You can still call pass plays and other stuff while running the occasional zone read.

e: 75-25 split is like service academy territory and would be a huge disaster if we're just sticking with our current running game.
Ok Chopsy.
I have no idea who that is

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Yeah, Alabama is pretty inept on offense, Bob.

Bob

Reaction score
Yes that is totally what I said. They're not inept but the best part of those teams has been the defense. And, again, they also have by far the best players, which means they can afford to be extremely vanilla on offense. Doesn't change the fact that lots of teams have been successful running zone reads.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
JFC. Look, the teams that have been successful in the past with running this gimmicky bullshit have had a quarterback that was probably one of the best athletes on the team. Do the hawkeyes have one of those at the quarterback spot?

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
JFC. Look, the teams that have been successful in the past with running this gimmicky bullshit have had a quarterback that was probably one of the best athletes on the team. Do the hawkeyes have one of those at the quarterback spot?
We actually might.

It's all relative though :neutral:

Bob

Reaction score
I said in my very first post that I didn't think Iowa had the QB for it on the roster right now. That doesn't make it a gimmick or something they can't look towards implementing more going forward.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
If there's one thing Iowa is known for, it's recruiting and signing great athletes. Especially at the QB position. Don't hold your breath, Bob.

Bob

Reaction score
Like I said, it would require a pretty dramatic change in the way we recruit the QB position and I'm not at all confident in Ferentz committing to it beyond a thing he busts out in practices to get people talking and then tries like three times in a game situation before completely abandoning it in favor of doing nothing but inside zone plays and hitch patterns. I just think it's a potentially good idea in theory.

Although I guess who knows maybe Jay Scheel will be really awesome in the completely imaginary world where he's not moved to wide receiver within a month of arriving on campus.

Bob

Reaction score
What exactly don't you like about it from a pure football standpoint, leaving Iowa and it's current roster out of it? So far your only argument is "it's a gimmick" with nothing to back that up besides "Alabama doesn't do it" which doesn't seem all that compelling. Lots of college teams do it and have had success (including several championship teams), it's starting to filter up to the NFL level and succeed, and there have been lots and lots of words spilled all over the internet by smart football folks like Chris Brown about why it works from a Xs and Os standpoint.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
NFL teams that use it, use it as a wrinkle in their offense for the most part. They aren't dumb enough to use it with regularity because they don't want their QBs getting murdered. It's only a matter of time until Newton gets hurt bad enough that Carolina goes away from it for the most part.

The Redskins ran this as a wrinkle last season with some regularity but guess how often they'll be doing it next season?

Look, the garbage worked in the NCAA for a little while because of parity and the fact that one dominant player can really carry a team at that level. You have to have an insanely special player to be able to run that shit to a national championship and I don't think that it would be run with the same effectiveness now as it has in the past. Traditional, pro style offenses are back in, it seems.

Florida started it with Tebow and then Cam Newton did it with Auburn but ever since those guys, I'm having difficulty thinking of a college team that's dominating with it at all. Teams adjusted to defend it and now those teams that had special players that could dominate with it, don't have those special players and now they're not nearly as relevant. Especially Auburn.

Hell Michigan used it with Robinson as long as they could, with marginal success, until the little shit was getting hurt so frequently that they went with his back up and a more pass oriented, traditional style of football.

Urban uses it a bit at OSU but he's even more of a pistol guy now running everything out of the gun, not near as much read option anymore.

You see that crap more at mid level schools now more than the big boys, it's a trickeration/misdirection offense for overmatched teams for the most part now, imo.

I hate it, it's gay and if you made a poll, I would imagine the majority of people would agree with me especially in regards to Iowa football. It doesn't make sense for this team and coaching staff and won't for as long as Kirk is the coach, imo.

Now, if you tell me we could win a national championship with a player the caliber of Tim Tebow or Cam Newton, I may be singing a different tune but you know as well as I that that shit ain't never gonna happen. ( I still wouldn't want them running it, it's gay ya know)

/biased opinion.

Last edited:

Gushawk

Reaction score
I agree, Froseph. I like teams that do it well less because of it. Iowa would not do it well, probably even with an entirely different coaching staff.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
What does Oregon run?

Gushawk

Reaction score
What does Oregon run?
Something that Jim Harbaugh, Nick Saban, Fro and Gus think makes them less respectable, and their success (except, generally, when it matters) somewhat less impressive.

I'm not going to lie - if Iowa adopting that program "personality" led to that level of success, I'd probably take it, but it would be somewhat less enjoyable because of it. It's also a ridiculous pipe dream for Iowa to even think about attempting to pursue.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
I appreciate Gus' candor.

Bob

Reaction score
What does Oregon run?
Something that Jim Harbaugh, Nick Saban, Fro and Gus think makes them less respectable, and their success (except, generally, when it matters) somewhat less impressive.
Having actually watched the 49ers play football last year I'm going to guess that Jim Harbaugh is in fact okay with the read option.

What does Oregon run?
I gimmicky faggot offense in the shitty Pac-12 that has led to zero championships. That's what, AZ.
They're still winning a whole shitload of games and have been really successful. Only one team gets to win a title every year, that's a pretty lofty standard (although several teams that use a lot of zone read concepts have won, but you've decided that they don't count now because it's been a whole like two years). Iowa is also not going to win a championship running our current offense or probably any offense at all so I guess maybe just give up and punt the ball on first down every time because life is dumb and pointless.

Last edited:

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score

Gushawk

Reaction score
The way you similarly took people to task for seeing the handwriting on the wall re Lick earlier than you did, right ;)?

Sometimes, it's plain as day from the get go that a fit is just shitty, and that more time is just going to dig a deeper hole. This is, IMO, one of those times. Last season's offensive production/performance = Lick's early recruiting efforts and results.

Last edited:

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
Bob loves him some Steel fucking Jantz. He shouldn't be allowed to post here.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Bob loves him some Steel fucking Jantz. He shouldn't be allowed to post here.
Much, much closer to what Iowa's zone read and results (in totality, not only against Iowa) would look like, BTW.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I view GDGD as the fast forward button to a head coaching change.

Perham1

Executive Level Costco Member
Reaction score
Kakert: Here's a little nugget that I will be interested to see on Sunday...my guess is we won't see much of it for public view....but, hearing they have been working extensively on the zone read on offense. A lot of it being worked in. Will be interesting to see if we see it in full view on Sunday and if it actually makes it on to the field in the fall.

Also, hearing practices have been very crispy. Lot of energy this spring. Might be attributed to some of the new coaches, but the energy level has been high in practice and guys are responding to it. More actual hitting being done than in previous years as well.
The only thing dumber is the guy's post who predicted that Iowa would only lose 4 games.

Zone read. Yeah, like Iowa has the athletes who can run that.