2013 Football Recruiting Thread

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa has offered something like 40 players so far, but they likely won't get their first recruit until sometime in April or May like they do every year.

There is actually some great talent in the State of Iowa this year, but the problem is that none of them grew up as Iowa fans.

Jon Wisnieski is a TE from WDM Dowling and he already has offers from Iowa, Nebrantska and Purdue with Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Notre Dame close to offering. TOS thinks that he may end up picking Nebrantska.

Jake Campos is a Rivals Top 250 OT from WDM Valley. Someone at TOS said that he wasn't even going to consider Iowa at one point late last year, but meeting with Ferentz a few times changed their minds. He grew up an Iowa State fan. He will pretty much be offered by everyone in the country.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Saw that Michigan picked up 4 guys from the Rivals 250 today. To-day. Must be nice.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Everyone in the Big Ten can just plan on picking up the scraps after Michigan and Ohio State have picked over every kid that they want to take. That is true in most years, but with Hoke and Meyer rolling now, it is just the ugly reality.

Michigan just picked up 4 more commitments today from Rivals Top 250 players and brings their total number of commitments to 7 in the 2013 class. They now have the number 16, 60, 77, 160, 167, and 199 rated players in the Rivals 250.

Iowa won't get it's 7th recruit until sometime in August and Michigan will have 95% of their class wrapped up by that time.

Ohio State already has 4 players. They have the number 7, 28, 41 and 130 rated players.

Unless Hoke and Meyer totally shit the bed in the coaching department, we are going to have to get used to seeing Michigan and Ohio State play in consecutive weeks for the Big Ten Championship starting in 2013. They are just racking up the talent. Even Nebrantska won't even come close to matching them in the recruiting department.

My only hope is like we have discussed before is that Wisconsin and Michigan State just get fucking crushed in the next few years by the weight of that recruiting and lack of base in the Chicago area that a team like Iowa has.

Soda Popinski

Kelly Hilpiper
Reaction score
I know I'm biased, but if I was an elite hs football player I would have no desire to play ball at either one of those fucking places.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa is going to have to fight like a mother fucker for 4* talent and even highly rated 3* players, even more than they had to in the past.

Hoke will take mostly the top players from Michigan and Ohio, but I can see Meyer stretching out nationally and leaving some very good players on the board.

They can each only take so many players each year, and with Penn State down and Wisconsin recruiting like shit, Iowa will still have a shot due to Ferentz being so well known and respected.

I think the real danger is Nebrantska. Kaz is openly going hard after Iowa players like Sam Rairdon, Wisnieski and Campos. If they start creeping in and taking the best players out of Iowa then it will be a bloody mess.

Looking at all of the coaching changes, they were absolutely necessary just to get some youth and fire with recruiting. I think if KOK and Norm had stayed and had not been able to add guys like Levar Woods and Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz this year, Iowa would really have been in trouble.

I still think Iowa is going to have to expand far beyond the midwest for a good part of its recruiting going forward.

douglasbader

Reaction score
What a fucking circus. As I was typing all of that, Michigan picked up 2 more commits.

They got Chris Fox, an OT from Colorado and the #46 rated player in the country and Taco Charlton, a DT from Ohio and the #183 rated player in the country.

It brings them to 9 recruits for 2013 and 8 of them are in the Rivals 250. Hoke is building a fucking monster up there.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
What a fucking circus. As I was typing all of that, Michigan picked up 2 more commits.

They got Chris Fox, an OT from Colorado and the #46 rated player in the country and Taco Charlton, a DT from Ohio and the #183 rated player in the country.

It brings them to 9 recruits for 2013 and 8 of them are in the Rivals 250. Hoke is building a fucking monster up there.
Which basically proves as long as you arent a fucking buffoon you'll succeed at Michigan by default. I could win there with BBK as my OC and Frodo as my DC.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
He's basically just re-building Michigan. The only thing that pisses me off about this is Iowa didn't get a player named Taco. I have no idea if they even offered.

Reaction score
Hoke was set up to succeed so well. Almost anyone replacing RichRod who embraced their tradition was going to kill it.

The amazing thing is how RichRod destroyed that program so thoroughly and quickly.

CamelTones

Reaction score
HiawathaHawk said:
Hoke was set up to succeed so well. Almost anyone replacing RichRod who embraced their tradition was going to kill it.

The amazing thing is how RichRod destroyed that program so thoroughly and quickly.
I don't know, trying to convert a pro style offense into the spread then trying to run the 3-3-5 defense in the Big Ten sounds like a disaster.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Michigan looks to be getting another commitment from a highly rated player today. Jake Butt, TE from Ohio and ranked #96 in the Rivals Top 250.

Hoke must really be hammering home to these players that if they don't commit early they won't have a spot.

I wonder if they even want Kozan now the way they are rolling. It seems like taking him would be a step back and they could get someone much better and that isn't a head case.

CamelTones

Reaction score
So Michigan has landed a Butt and a Taco?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Michigan is on fucking fire. They just picked up Logan Tuley-Tillman, a huge OL from Peoria, IL and the #109 rated recruit in the Rivals Top 250.

He is a guy that Iowa felt they might have a shot with. That brings their commitments up to 11 total with 10 of them being 4* Top 250.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
There is no fucking way they want Kozan now. They just picked up 4 OL in the last day that are all way higher rated than him.

I guess Auburn doesn't have room for him either and someone posted that he is still trying to get Ohio State to take him with their final scholarship.

Eastside Ray Ray

Cleans his ass with toilet water
Reaction score
This sucks watching UM getting all these verbals and OSU I presume doing the same.

Big 2, little 10 again.

At least we should get to see the GOAT rivalries in back2back weeks 60% of the years over the next decade.

Hopefully Danny O'Brien from Maryland doesn't transfer over to Wisconsin either. (Not 13 recruiting related, but hate seeing Bucky have success)

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score

Which basically proves as long as you arent a fucking buffoon you'll succeed at Michigan by default. I could win there with BBK as my OC and Frodo as my DC.
It's as easy as you going into some fag bar wearing assless chaps.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score

It's as easy as you going into some fag bar wearing assless chaps.
With you on my arm? You're right!! PM me?

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Carr got 14 players out of Ohio in his career. Hoke has 16 through 3 recruiting seasons.

/stolen from Twitter

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I really really really really hope that Michigan dominates that rivarly game for as long as Urban Meyer is at OSU.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
New Big Ten same as old Big Ten.

Nebbie's lunatic fringe won't allow Bo to survive much longer being third best.

Last edited:

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
New Big Ten same as old Big Ten.

Nebbie's lunatic fringe won't allow Bo to survive much longer being third best.
They'll rarely ever be even third best, IMO. Worse than third best far more often than better.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Iowa already is off to a great start recruiting. They have a highly sought TE from Iowa City coming in who caught 4 passes this year. He also finished in the top 8 in state wrasslin.
He's no Johnny Soybean. :)

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Hey Guys! Nolook doesn't like Kirk Ferentz!

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
DJK for OC!

I was thinkin Mary Ferentz.
Please publicly state your disapproval of the Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz hire.
I'm not going to do that. He may be a helluva coach. A lot of times, mediocre players who are students of the game become great coaches. But coaching is the ultimate good old boy network. otherwise a guy like Todd Haley, who never even played HS football would never sniff an nfl asst job, much less a head coaching gig.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
I'm not going to do that. He may be a helluva coach. A lot of times, mediocre players who are students of the game become great coaches. But coaching is the ultimate good old boy network. otherwise a guy like Todd Haley, who never even played HS football would never sniff an nfl asst job, much less a head coaching gig.
So your gripe is with the system, not Kirk or any of his sons, yes?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
So your gripe is with the system, not Kirk or any of his sons, yes?
not really a gripe but an observation.

Reaction score
So because he's never played the game makes him less credible as a coach? Do you have any concrete factual evidence to back this up? Or is this along the lines of "you aren't a true hawkeye if you didn't attend UI"?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
So because he's never played the game makes him less credible as a coach? Do you have any concrete factual evidence to back this up? Or is this along the lines of "you aren't a true hawkeye if you didn't attend UI"?
give me a list of every, or even better yet, any guy(who never played hs or college FB) who coached in the NFL that didn't have a relative working in a front office.

as far as one's credibility as a coach, its pretty common for big time athletes to respect a coach who never played less than one who did play. Its been widely reported this week that its an issue in LA with the Lakers.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
yes, it is truly impossible for someone to not play a sport but actually know how to play.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
Your sexual tension regarding KF is getting out of hand. Perhaps you should see a shrink?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Your sexual tension regarding KF is getting out of hand. Perhaps you should see a shrink?

your sexual tension regarding my posts is getting out of hand. Perhaps you should go back to hawkeye report?

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score

your sexual tension regarding my posts is getting out of hand. Perhaps you should go back to hawkeye report?
You're confusing Harlan with Doug.

Common mistake. ;)

Harlan

Reaction score

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Iowa already is off to a great start recruiting. They have a highly sought TE from Iowa City coming in who caught 4 passes this year. He also finished in the top 8 in state wrasslin.
He's no Johnny Soybean. :)
:D

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Reaction score
Reaction score
give me a list of every, or even better yet, any guy(who never played hs or college FB) who coached in the NFL that didn't have a relative working in a front office.

as far as one's credibility as a coach, its pretty common for big time athletes to respect a coach who never played less than one who did play. Its been widely reported this week that its an issue in LA with the Lakers.
Charlie Weis.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

Charlie Weis.

he played hs.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score

Charlie Weis.

he played hs.
The player vs non-player argument gets pretty weak if the 'player' only participated in hs, IMO.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Reaction score
Yes... one would learn much more from playing hs football than they would from talking about football and being around pro football coaches like Haley was growing up. I mean how much would a kid pick up from being in that environment - he hasn't played!!!

Harlan

Reaction score

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Yes... one would learn much more from playing hs football than they would from talking about football and being around pro football coaches like Haley was growing up. I mean how much would a kid pick up from being in that environment - he hasn't played!!!
yeah, you learn more about anything by talking about it instead of actually doing it. :rolleyes: