**2015-2016 Iowa Hawkeye Basketball Season Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
3 weeks and 2 days until the first game, boyz.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
I LOVE IOWA BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially seasons like this where there are gonna be a lot of new faces contributing.

douglasbader

Reaction score
3 weeks and 2 days until the first game, boyz.
Keep us posted
Only if you keep us posted on your wonderful player evaluation skills, like how Marcus Paige isn't good enough to play at North Carolina.

Have you been doing jaw exercises so you can fit Peter Jok all the way your mouth in this year?

Last edited:

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Only if you keep us posted on your wonderful player evaluation skills, like how Marcus Paige isn't good enough to play at North Carolina.

Have you been doing jaw exercises so you can fit Peter Jok all the way your mouth in this year?
What's the weather like today?
Pretty nice out, great for peeling potatoes in the mess hall for the rest of the troops.
If I'd have been a cook, you'd have a point. Get me a large popcorn, plz

douglasbader

Reaction score
Nolookpass really making an effort in this thread. We get a "keep us posted", "weather" and "popcorn" joke and only 12 posts in.

Awesome contribution.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Nolookpass really making an effort in this thread. We get a "keep us posted", "weather" and "popcorn" joke and only 12 posts in.

Awesome contribution.
I know I've said this before, but....

douglasbader

Reaction score

Awesome contribution.
Great, you got me. Can we stop with this stupid shit now before I take off the gloves and you get all offended and weird?

You started this one in this thread for no reason, so let's just call this one a win for you. Feel better?

V

valp0

Great, you got me. Can we stop with this stupid shit now before I take off the gloves and you get all offended and weird?

You started this one in this thread for no reason, so let's just call this one a win for you. Feel better?
http://hawkcentral.com/wp-content/gallery/bkc-ui-vs-Nebrantska/0127bkciowa018.jpg

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
Gonna be kind of weird not seeing Aaron White out there. I really rarely miss graduated seniors in that way, but I will miss him. I guess maybe because he kind of defined our resurgence.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Gonna be kind of weird not seeing Aaron White out there. I really rarely miss graduated seniors in that way, but I will miss him. I guess maybe because he kind of defined our resurgence.
Agreed, but the good thing is Fran has the program right now at the point where more and likely better talent feeds right in behind it. I think it is another year as with Gatens/Marble before they don't really miss Aaron White overall. Uthoff will likely flourish even more, Woodbury/Gesell/Clemmons/Jok/Uhl should all be improved and motivated and the new guys can fill the last 2 or 3 backup roles.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
It's interesting that it has been almost twenty years for Iowa to have a "wait your turn" class like this one. Even in Alford's "prime", freshmen and sophomores were heavily featured in the rotation. This year reminds me of the late 80s, early 90s where a young flock would pretty much just sit for a year or two. I take this as a good sign.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
To go along with the previous posts, one of the most exciting parts about this season to me will be trying to predict who might be our next impact player after the group of upperclassmen are gone. The early money would probably be on Moss, but there's a chance a guy like Fleming or Williams could really figure out the college level like Gatens and Marble did. Should be fun to watch the new group carve(r) their niches in the program. Hopefully we don't see a ton of minutes for the freshmen, but enough to get a feel for talent and skill sets

douglasbader

Reaction score
To go along with the previous posts, one of the most exciting parts about this season to me will be trying to predict who might be our next impact player after the group of upperclassmen are gone. The early money would probably be on Moss, but there's a chance a guy like Fleming or Williams could really figure out the college level like Gatens and Marble did. Should be fun to watch the new group carve(r) their niches in the program. Hopefully we don't see a ton of minutes for the freshmen, but enough to get a feel for talent and skill sets
The media guys seem not to have a clue who will play or redshirt either. I saw one writer who thought Moss is the most likely to sit out this year while I would think he is in the best position to play. I thought Jones would be a lock to start or play huge minutes, but listening to Fran they almost sound disappointed in him so far. Fleming could be the best given the team he played on last year and his shooting and Williams could redshirt or they could want him to play a bunch so he is ready to be the PG next year.

Who knows, and that is a pretty interesting thing.

Reaction score
I have no idea what to expect from Moss but my guess at most minutes for the frosh

1. Hutton (defense intangibles on wing)
2. Fleming (shooting / swarthy Kingsbury factor)
3. Wagner (only one who can play inside)
4. Moss (???)

I doubt the other two see more than small minutes unless Ellingson's shot is really good and he beats out Fleming.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I can't wait for teams to start hating Fleming.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Really love the set up of the non con schedule this year. Whereas some non cons seem to drag on forever, ours is going to fly by this year. Iowa is @Marquette the third game of the year. Will be a great early challenge and a chance for a decent resume win. Probably the perfect tune up before Iowa heads to Orlando one week later.

When Iowa gets back, it's ACC Big Ten right away with FSU. That's going to be a really fun two week (five game) stretch -albeit a very important one. We will probably know after those five if Iowa is a big ten top tier contender.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Random thoughts for me going into the season:
1) A senior PG/Center tandem usually means pretty good things
2) Is Jok ready to increase his role? I think he is.
3) Uthoff will be a 1st team Big Ten selection
4) A lot of newcomers. I'm excited about every single one of them as I think they call can play ans contribute in some way.
5) Who will redshirt? Just from sheer numbers you gotta think someone will. The obvious choice is Williams but I've seen Moss' name thrown out there too.
6) Is Uhl ready for Prime Time? If he makes a big jump that could mean big things for the team.

I'm excited about this team. I think they're going to be VERY underrated.

edit: FWIW peace

Last edited:

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
Random thoughts for me going into the season:
1) A senior PG/Center tandem usually means pretty good things
2) Is Jok ready to increase his role? I think he is.
3) Uthoff will be a 1st team Big Team selection
4) A lot of newcomers. I'm excited about every single one of them as I think they call can play ans contribute in some way.
5) Who will redshirt? Just from sheer numbers you gotta think someone will. The obvious choice is Williams but I've seen Moss' name thrown out there too.
6) Is Uhl ready for Prime Time? If he makes a big jump that could mean big things for the team.

I'm excited about this team. I think they're going to be VERY underrated.

edit: FWIW peace
I think Uhl will be the key whether this team is average/good or really good.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This will be the best shooting team at Iowa under Fran. There will be a decent amount of games where they will smoke people because nearly everyone on the floor can shoot. Gesell, Jok, Uthoff, Jones, Fleming, Ellingson, etc....

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Gesell is huge. he needs to be an 11 ppg guy and shoot 36ish% from 3 on fewer attempts while continuing to attack. he needs to be a dorky dajuan wagner.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Gesell is huge. he needs to be an 11 ppg guy and shoot 36ish% from 3 on fewer attempts while continuing to attack. he needs to be a dorky dajuan wagner.
I have been down on Gesell as a PG, but I think he and Uthoff both naturally benefit from graduating early and having nothing to do but concentrate on playing basketball. I would guess that Gesell knows this is his last year to play any meaningful basketball and will play his ass off.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I'd like to see them honor Marble early in the season and also wear those sweet script throwbacks

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
Any preseason prediction stuff out yet? Curious how under the radar Iowa will be. Losing White and Gabe is huge but neither is really irreplaceable really.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
I'm all in.

Early conference struggles and some freshman growth pains precede a senior-led run to the sweet 16.

GFY if you predict otherwise.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Any preseason prediction stuff out yet? Curious how under the radar Iowa will be. Losing White and Gabe is huge but neither is really irreplaceable really.
Nothing yet other than a few people have said Iowa could be a sleeper team.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I figured that Uhl was a lock to start but Petes comments about playing the 3 make me wonder what Fran has in mind. certainly wouldn't mind Moss or Fleming starting with Uhl and Sapp first off the bench.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Jok looks stacked in that Moss video. Hope it doesnt mess with his shot.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I figured that Uhl was a lock to start but Petes comments about playing the 3 make me wonder what Fran has in mind. certainly wouldn't mind Moss or Fleming starting with Uhl and Sapp first off the bench.
I've said this before, but I don't think Petes comment was anything more than Fran telling him early in the off season that he will have to play some minutes at the three, because Iowa isn't going to have the depth at 4 and 5 to consistently have Uhl playing the 3. Uhl playing the 4 will shift Jok to the 3, and he is going to be on the floor a lot with Gesell (or Clemmons) and one of the young guards.

I don't think it had anything at all to do with some little inkling we should have been picking up on regarding the starting lineup way before practice even started.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I've said this before, but I don't think Petes comment was anything more than Fran telling him early in the off season that he will have to play some minutes at the three, because Iowa isn't going to have the depth at 4 and 5 to consistently have Uhl playing the 3. Uhl playing the 4 will shift Jok to the 3, and he is going to be on the floor a lot with Gesell (or Clemmons) and one of the young guards.

I don't think it had anything at all to do with some little inkling we should have been picking up on regarding the starting lineup way before practice even started.
I think you are transposing Uthoff and Uhl. Uhl will be the 4 of they are on the floor together. not that it matters that much but if makes the rotation look different in that Pete is the off guard in that group. which is why I'm trying to interpret Petes comments from this summer.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score

I think you are transposing Uthoff and Uhl. Uhl will be the 4 of they are on the floor together. not that it matters that much but if makes the rotation look different in that Pete is the off guard in that group. which is why I'm trying to interpret Petes comments from this summer.
It really doesn't matter. When Woody gets tired or in foul trouble, Uhl and Uthoff are the big guys. Jok will move to the three at that point. If Woody, Uhl, and JU are in together (this will happen a lot), then Pete is the two.

When the game is on the line, will Fran prefer Clemmons or Uhl? That decision will determine how much time Jok sees at the three this year.