2015 Basketball Recruiting

Reaction score
Problem is a grad transfer doesn't really work for Iowa right now. They need depth at 5 but then they'd still need an immediate contributor in 2016.
I agree. Grad transfer doesn't work for us, and it likely doesn't work for the grad transfer. Most grad transfers are looking for a place where they are practically guaranteed to start. And Woody is practically guaranteed to start at the 5 for us next year (about the only thing that would keep Woody out of the starting lineup is an injury or a rape charge)
Well, if you hadn't noticed, there is a gaping hole at the 4 position waiting to be filled. This is a popular name and he is being thrown out there for the heck of it, but someone like Jameel Warney from Stony Brook would be the best thing Iowa could ever hope for.

You would have him step right in for Aaron White, let Dom Uhl play 20+ minutes off the bench and Wagner fill in the rest. Suddenly you are a top level Big Ten team again next year.

I have said all year that Fran should be desperately trying to get a guy like that and Iowa would potentially have no drop off and might even be improved.
I agree. I'm just saying it's very unlikely we will get a grad transfer at the 5. I think we could very well sell a grad transfer at the 4 on the idea of coming to iowa and having a very very good shot to start. but the downside, as others have pointed out, is that part of fran's pitch to guys like uhl and wagner is probably that he doesn't do this Freddie shit, so if he starts doing it this year, that promise is going to look like a lie

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Ahmad Wagner was a major player on football and basketball state title teams. Virtually unheard of in the state of Ohio, especially in division 1. He and Trice will be legends in this state for the rest if their lives.

Nate Kaeding 2.0.
So he will choke on big field goals?
Not getting the bows. Did he not miss a couple chip shots in the playoffs?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Ahmad Wagner was a major player on football and basketball state title teams. Virtually unheard of in the state of Ohio, especially in division 1. He and Trice will be legends in this state for the rest if their lives.

Nate Kaeding 2.0.
You get the bows because he was a great Hawkeye, the second most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL and the thing you go to is he missed a 40 yarder to lose a game and a 54 yard attempt.

Pretty much standard nolookpass.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Did anyone get a chance to watch Oak Hill/Fleming tonight? They won and Fleming had 9 points. They are on ESPN2 tomorrow at 4 pm central time playing for a national championship.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Saw most of it. Fleming showed what he's showed in previous videos--he's a good three point shooter (hit one of two while I was watching), good FT shooter, took it to the hoop effectively against very good athletes, and showed a flair for passing, although a couple of pretty good passes weren't caught that should've been and he was a little too aggressive with a pass or two. He's probably not an outstanding man-to-man defender but he isn't bad. He should play as a freshman, and certainly shouldn't be intimidated by Big Ten athletes given the schedule Oak Hill plays and the quality of competition he faces in practice.

Whatever scout it was who was doing color complimented Fleming for his three point shooting and his ability to get to the hoop but said he needs to develop a midrange game. I'm not sure he has a chance to demonstrate a midrange game given how he's used by Oak Hill. I don't think he's going to be a dynamic shot creator inside the three point line, but he is strong enough to take some contact and I'm sure he can shoot in that range.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
You get the bows because he was a great Hawkeye, the second most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL and the thing you go to is he missed a 40 yarder to lose a game and a 54 yard attempt.

So, he missed the 2 biggest kicks of his career. Ok

Reaction score
One other thing that I would add about Fleming is that although he came off the bench yesterday, Coach Smith had him on the floor for a lot of the more crucial minutes of the game. I think that says a lot.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I watched about 10 minutes of it, saw Fleming use his body to get a basket inside, the announcer remarked that he did something similar in the first half.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score

Sometimes I think you're on the tail end of a very dedicated 15 year troll.

douglasbader

Reaction score

He should be so embarrassed missing a FIFTY FOUR yard attempt.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
Did Kaeding miss many big kicks when he was playing for the Hawks? Maybe it's because I was there, but his Alamo Bowl performance is the first thing that pops into my head when I think about him attempting pressure kicks. Not his NFL career.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Did Kaeding miss many big kicks when he was playing for the Hawks? Maybe it's because I was there, but his Alamo Bowl performance is the first thing that pops into my head when I think about him attempting pressure kicks. Not his NFL career.
He missed like one big kick his Freshman year and was the best fucking kicker in college football after that.

This is pretty much classic nolookpass. I'm sure it has something to do with him being from Iowa City, or somehow a coach that reminds him of Kaeding passed him over as a kid or one of his family members, Kaeding didn't give him an autograph once.

Now, if he was from SEP or the greater Des Moines area, the looker would have a framed jersey hung up in the basement.

douglasbader

Reaction score
HE'S THE SECOND MOST ACCURATE KICKER IN NFL HISTORY. IN ALL THE HISTORY OF THE GREATEST FOOTBALL LEAGUE IN THE WORLD!!!

Fuck, he would be the most accurate in history if it wasn't for a desire to come back with a bad groin and he missed a couple of kicks and it dropped him .2 percent out of first place.

Not in a single year the second most accurate, but over a 9 year career. In NFL History.

Slidewilly

Reaction score
So I saw a story the other day about Kelly Olynyk catching a nasty elbow from Shavlik Randolph--a name I hadn't heard in years--and was surprised to learn that he's in the NBA after a less than overwhelming career at Duke. I ran his name through Google Images with "Duke" and on the first line up pops this image, which instantly reminded me of Doug's new pic. Is this a trend or something? I admit I'm out of touch with what's cool, or goofy, as the case may be.

Reaction score
So I saw a story the other day about Kelly Olynyk catching a nasty elbow from Shavlik Randolph--a name I hadn't heard in years--and was surprised to learn that he's in the NBA after a less than overwhelming career at Duke. I ran his name through Google Images with "Duke" and on the first line up pops this image, which instantly reminded me of Doug's new pic. Is this a trend or something? I admit I'm out of touch with what's cool, or goofy, as the case may be.

He's just your everyday, garden-variety white guy who is trying to better relate to the black cultural experience.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
Bullshit. You said something stupid and got called out on it.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Anyone watch the game? I forgot it was on

Slidewilly

Reaction score

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Caleb Swanigan committed to MSU today. 5 star big man who iowa recruited but never had a shot at. Huge get for the Spartans. Think this makes puts them at or above marylands level next year

Slidewilly

Reaction score
Nebrantska apparently thought they had a shot. Better Georgia than them.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Caleb Swanigan committed to MSU today. 5 star big man who iowa recruited but never had a shot at. Huge get for the Spartans. Think this makes puts them at or above marylands level next year
Is he a one and done type or what?
I don't think he's one and done personally. But he's really good and with Izzo's coaching I'm sure his talent will be maximized. If I had to guess I'd say MSU will have him two years

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
we still need post players in the 2016 class but I like the fact that nobody we brought in is (allegedly) shorter than 6-5.

Reaction score
we still need post players in the 2016 class but I like the fact that nobody we brought in is (allegedly) shorter than 6-5.
I occasionally see Fleming listed at 6'4". Everyone else is def at leat 6'5" although I like to joke about Hutton shrinking and being 6'2" by the time he gets on campus.

Reaction score
Got some decent Fran go to hyperbole re: Williams

Christian is an incredibly versatile player who can play three positions. He’s a terrific athlete with great length. He’s a phenomenal passer and a proven winner.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
Williams appears to be the ideal redshirt candidate and selling 2016 PGs on the idea of competing just with him

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Christian Williams is officially a Hawkeye. Signed his NLI this morning..

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041515aac.html
They say they see him as a point, but the fact that they've already offered about 3 dozen PGs in the 2016 class is telling. Need more bodies.

It would be good if he's a serviceable option, but he can't be the only PG on the team in 2016.
I don't remember who it was but I liked the theory that offering him as a guy who can play point but isn't a pure PG leaves them open to going after some higher rated guys for 2016. That sounds best for Iowa, so I'll stick with that.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Once talked about Tony Anderson just decommitted from Toledo 10 days after verbally committing to them. Not likely we're still in on him (not sure we're in on anybody but Dale Jones at this point), but figured I'd pass along the info.

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/503818

Reaction score
I know we are likely done with Jones coming on board but Kyle Washington (who is originally from Minenapolis) is transferring from NC State. Hope he doesn't wind up on a Minnesota or Nebrantska.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The fact that Fran didn't have Dale Jones committed already, especially after the Spring signing period already started indicates he is looking at better options if he can and slow playing him.