2015 Basketball Recruiting

Reaction score
The fact that Fran didn't have Dale Jones committed already, especially after the Spring signing period already started indicates he is looking at better options if he can and slow playing him.
Or that he's visiting this weekend and they're both on the same page with what will happen as long as the visit goes well. Iowa hasn't even been mentioned with any '15 guys that I've seen.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Yeah, that article Harbinger posted a few days back had this quote from Jones's coach...

Marquis said recently that he requires his players to visit four-year programs before committing to them. There’s been heavy speculation that Jones might have already silently pledged to the Hawkeyes but his JUCO coach stopped short of going that far.

“(The Iowa coaches) have just done a great job with him for a long time,” said Marquis, an Iowa native who previously coached state JUCOs, Indiana Hills and Marshalltown. “I would be both sad and disappointed if Dale didn’t end up at Iowa just because of how well those guys have done with him. But he needs to go there, see all of the dynamics of the program, see how he meshes with the coaches and players while there, and make sure he’s sure it’s right for him.”

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Jones' coach doesn't allow his players to commit until they visit. This didn't come together early enough to visit before this weekend. In a way I wish it was a slow-play, but I don't think so. That doesn't mean a ride won't become available if some serious inside help should pop up.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
He does remind you of Marble build wise.....he handles the ball well...not the quickest first step, but fluid with good body control. Good size for a PG as well.
In addition to his raw talent, a few things really allowed Marble to become the great player he was. First off, he was young for his class and his body continued to mature while at iowa. I'd guess he grew about two inches and he was ae to add a lot of strength to his frame. Second, I don't recall RDM ever having any doubts about his abilities. While Moss and Williams both have similar builds and skills to the hs version of RDM, I doubt they will come in with that same confidence/maturity/bball IQ Dev did.

Seeing as Moss has never been more than a role player (not a knock, just how it was at Simeon and aau), I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we get more out of him offensively than what we got out of Uhl this year. And that should be completely ok. It will be 2016-17 when we really need these guards to become assertive.

With all of that being said, I have no idea what to expect from our freshmen next year. I think wagner will have to play, but beyond that I have no expectations. Glad we have Uthoff and three other seniors to help bridge the transition.

Reaction score
It appears they locked in on Jones and shut it down with everyone else besides the long shot prayer of keeping things alive with Swanigan. They know what role they need from him and obviously think he can fill it. He's athletic, he's got a decent frame, shot 45% on 218 3's and 84% from the line on 118 attempts.

He's their guy and there's nothing to indicate that he's a total stiff so I hope they land him this weekend.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
No way this is true, but whatever it takes to get a pharma-free boner these days, amirite?

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
freak. athlete.

wouldn't surprise me -- we has a kid like that at my school in NC, six seven forward (went to an ACC school, but ran into some academic issues), comes out for track as a senior, instantly starts killing kids who are going on to D1 programs in the 100m and the long jump.

in fran's system, wagner is going to be an off the bench beast.

Reaction score
What has me so intrigued by Wagner is that his athletic ability appears to be accompanied by a great feel for the game and a true willingness to do the dirty work it takes to win. Guys like that are hard to keep off the floor.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
freak. athlete.

wouldn't surprise me -- we has a kid like that at my school in NC, six seven forward (went to an ACC school, but ran into some academic issues), comes out for track as a senior, instantly starts killing kids who are going on to D1 programs in the 100m and the long jump.

in fran's system, wagner is going to be an off the bench beast.
This is the kind of athlete Kirk should be interested in recruiting......nah. It's going to be fun to see what Fran's teams look like five years down the road.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
What has me so intrigued by Wagner is that his athletic ability appears to be accompanied by a great feel for the game and a true willingness to do the dirty work it takes to win. Guys like that are hard to keep off the floor.
I'd take Branden Dawson, Pt. II--with a little better shooting touch.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
wouldn't surprise me
It wouldn't surprise you if an incoming Iowa basketball recruit ran a time that would have qualified him for the Olympic finals in 2012? LOL. You must be a retard!!!
I assumed hyperbole on his brother's part

it wouldn't surprise me at all for a kid that size to be able to run a fast 100m --10.8-11.8 range. seen it before.

and gfy

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
If he can rebound and alter shots similar to Basabe, he will be a very important piece for us immediately. I suspect that he will end up better than MB was, and I think he will really help us with our transition game as well

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I'd take Branden Dawson, Pt. II--with a little better shooting touch.
Let's hope so. Although I think Tyler Cook is a lot more comparable with Dawson than Wagner is.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
wouldn't surprise me
It wouldn't surprise you if an incoming Iowa basketball recruit ran a time that would have qualified him for the Olympic finals in 2012? LOL. You must be a retard!!!
Did Haluska run in the Olympics?

100 METER DASH
Iowa State Meet Record: 10.5, Treye Jackson, Newton, 1981 prelims
100 Yd. Dash: 09.5 (10.4), Clyde Duncan, Des Moines North, 1964; James Kirby, Des Moines, North, 1967
Iowa All-time Best: 10.1, Adam Haluska, Carroll, 2002

Hand-timed. Tailwind. I know.

castichawk24

Is Well Liked Here
Reaction score
wouldn't surprise me
I assumed hyperbole on his brother's part

it wouldn't surprise me at all for a kid that size to be able to run a fast 100m --10.8-11.8 range. seen it before.

and gfy
1. I was just joking around
2. I was talking about 10 seconds flat, not 11.8 seconds.
3. Relax. I love you. I love everybody here.

Reaction score
Sidenote: Kim Deal (Pixies, Breeders) and Kelley Deal (Breeders) also attended Wayne High School.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Adam Haluska was extremely athletic and could shoot the ball, not a common combination.

Reaction score
I know from Fran himself that we got a "Big Recruit" over the weekend. Don't know if that means Jones or not.

Reaction score
wouldn't surprise me

100 METER DASH
100 Yd. Dash: 09.5 (10.4), Clyde Duncan, Des Moines North, 1964; James Kirby, Des Moines, North, 1967

There is a difference between a Meter and a Yard.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
I know from Fran himself that we got a "Big Recruit" over the weekend. Don't know if that means Jones or not.
without specifics, you're risking liar and scumbag.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score

100 METER DASH

There is a difference between a Meter and a Yard.
Are you fucking serious?

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
without specifics, you're risking liar and scumbag.
By "big", Fran could mean tall and or physically big. Although knowing fran that's not what he meant. Either way, I'm sure Jones is the only commit we are getting right now. I like getting Jones. I think he fits and has some skills that can help us. I will say though that he is probably the least recruited guy fran has gotten at least as far as we know. I'm sure he had interest from other schools, but it doesn't seem to have gone public at all. Oh well, think he can help us so I'm for it.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
hopefully, a rebounder who can shoot the 3

iowa kid -- so a nice bonus, keeps the aau ties

adds to jok with the jr. class

nothing but likes here, under the circumstances

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This is like a @BBK wet dream. 2016 roster so far is 8 black guys (Jok, Jones, Uhl, Hutton, Wagner, Moss, Williams, Pemsl) a Puerto Rican (Fleming) and a lilly white cracker (Ellingson).

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
I know it's Ha Ha White People time, but I'd take the Debbie Downer scenario.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score