2015 Basketball Recruiting

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I haven't looked, but did he have offers from anyone else?

castichawk24

Is Well Liked Here
Reaction score
Either Tom or Blair was talking about him kind of shutting out other teams because Iowa was basically a formality as long as the visit went fine. But Minnesota and Auburn were 2 of the high majors they mentioned.

edit - I should add that they made it sound like his JUCO was really involved and a controlling weirdo. I guess that worked out in Iowa's favor.

Reaction score
Either Tom or Blair was talking about him kind of shutting out other teams because Iowa was basically a formality as long as the visit went fine. But Minnesota and Auburn were 2 of the high majors they mentioned.

edit - I should add that they made it sound like his JUCO was really involved and a controlling weirdo. I guess that worked out in Iowa's favor.
ACT who has always nailed all of his basketball info and says he's friends with Marquis, made it sound like Jones wanted to go to Iowa, Iowa wanted him and invested the most time/built the best relationship so they basically told other schools not to bother.

Reaction score
In news that was disappointing to me, gasser said that Hutton is the most likely incomer to redshirt for "multiple reasons" and then later said that it wasn't his opinion.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
A buddy of mine played for Marquis and is still friends with him today. Said he's basically a wet dream in terms of DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY!!!!

He controls the recruiting because the majority of the kids he gets are complete dumbfucks and he protects them from the process.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
In news that was disappointing to me, gasser said that Hutton is the most likely incomer to redshirt for "multiple reasons" and then later said that it wasn't his opinion.
Hutton pretty much sucks at offense, basically. Right?

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
One or more from that group of wings probably should RS. I've been looking forward to the defensive intensity Hutton would bring, as much as anything any of the newcomers might bring. If he's likely to RS I hope it isn't due to borderline academics. On the other hand, if Iowa took a chance with him in that regard, it's best that he get off to a good start academically and not have quite as much time invested in hoops in his first year as he otherwise would.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Seems we probable have the luxury of redshirting Williams plus another if we want.

Slidewilly

Reaction score
Apparently the new slang for earning playing time is "getting tick."

Source: Barnstormers.

Reaction score
Was really looking forward to watching him next year, but he'd benefit from a redshirt year.

He's the kind of kid who could still help the team a lot, even while redshirting. He'll show up to practice everyday ready to compete, and keep the intensity level up.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Was really looking forward to watching him next year, but he'd benefit from a redshirt year.

He's the kind of kid who could still help the team a lot, even while redshirting. He'll show up to practice everyday ready to compete, and keep the intensity level up.
He also seems mature enough to not be discouraged by a redshirt year. He has a lot of athletic ability and a pretty high ceiling if he can improve his offensive game. With that talent and work ethic coupled with some of his rawness, I'm tempted to call it a slightly similar case to Gabe, though I doubt that we see a similar trajectory of improvement.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This is actually pretty good news given he is the most offensive deficient of the recruits and Iowa will need scoring and shooting coming off the bench.

Adding in Jones makes a crowded situation even more crowded. Hutton likely would have been looking at spot minutes at best as a SF, so if he is in this for the long haul, might as well redshirt.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
A buddy of mine played for Marquis and is still friends with him today. Said he's basically a wet dream in terms of DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY!!!!

He controls the recruiting because the majority of the kids he gets are complete dumbfucks and he protects them from the process.
Too bad Marquis is a flake.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Don't be jelly, ho.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score

Mike's a nice guy....guess I don't know him well enough to know whether he's a "flake" or not.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score

Mike's a nice guy....guess I don't know him well enough to know whether he's a "flake" or not.
Yeah he's definitely a nice guy. Wouldn't call him the most adept x and o's guy.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Reaction score
In all honesty it sounds like Fran knew back in 2013 and Jones may well have been part of the '14 class but for injuring his knee in Sept '13.

I get the feeling this was almost a concerted effort to keep him on the DL given a unique situation with Marquis' history w/ Iowa, Jones being from Iowa, etc.

Obvi Jones is an unknown, but I'm guessing we will be gaga based upon some PTL reports. Guy sounds like a perfect 4 in a Fran offense.

Reaction score
My pipe dream vision is for him to be a like a Cleanthony Early. Remmber playing Wichita in early 13-14 and Early was a relative unknown out of Juco and fucking torched us? Wound up not being a fluke.

Slidewilly

Reaction score
In all honesty it sounds like Fran knew back in 2013 and Jones may well have been part of the '14 class but for injuring his knee in Sept '13.

I get the feeling this was almost a concerted effort to keep him on the DL given a unique situation with Marquis' history w/ Iowa, Jones being from Iowa, etc.

Obvi Jones is an unknown, but I'm guessing we will be gaga based upon some PTL reports. Guy sounds like a perfect 4 in a Fran offense.
The bolded phrase above is the the most accurate. It was a good idea for the staff to keep an eye on an Iowa kid at Tyler, particularly since Tyler always has other DI prospects worth watching and its coach is an Iowan with good history of sending players our way. However, I doubt the staff figured they had a can't-miss prospect based on his freshman stats. His shooting percentages this year were very impressive and I'm sure that's why they offered. I hope he plays great from day one, but the odds are he's going to be a complementary player in his first season. The thing is, even more than his shooting we really need him to meaningfully contribute on defense and rebounding right out of the gate. Woody will be in foul trouble on a regular basis and he'll have to help with interior defense. I'd love to see Baer put on good weight because we may even need him to play on nights when the foul trouble spreads beyond Woody.

If Uhl is highly motivated, he should make a big jump from his freshman performance level and might start over Jones. I just don't know how badly he wants it, but the fact that he's staying at Iowa despite how boring it is could be a good sign. His raw talent is as good or better than that of anyone on the team. I hope he locks himself into the gym like White did and makes himself into an NBA player.

douglasbader

Reaction score

The bolded phrase above is the the most accurate. It was a good idea for the staff to keep an eye on an Iowa kid at Tyler, particularly since Tyler always has other DI prospects worth watching and its coach is an Iowan with good history of sending players our way. However, I doubt the staff figured they had a can't-miss prospect based on his freshman stats. His shooting percentages this year were very impressive and I'm sure that's why they offered. I hope he plays great from day one, but the odds are he's going to be a complementary player in his first season. The thing is, even more than his shooting we really need him to meaningfully contribute on defense and rebounding right out of the gate. Woody will be in foul trouble on a regular basis and he'll have to help with interior defense. I'd love to see Baer put on good weight because we may even need him to play on nights when the foul trouble spreads beyond Woody.

If Uhl is highly motivated, he should make a big jump from his freshman performance level and might start over Jones. I just don't know how badly he wants it, but the fact that he's staying at Iowa despite how boring it is could be a good sign. His raw talent is as good or better than that of anyone on the team. I hope he locks himself into the gym like White did and makes himself into an NBA player.
He wasn't in foul trouble this year, so why is he going to be next year on a regular basis?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
maybe because next year he won't have the luxury of splitting minutes with Gabe?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Woody's foul troubles have always been overstated. He's fouled at a rate of 6.1, 6.0, and 5.3 per 40 minutes in the last 3 years.

Slidewilly

Reaction score
Woody's foul troubles have always been overstated. He's fouled at a rate of 6.1, 6.0, and 5.3 per 40 minutes in the last 3 years.
Which translates to foul trouble for the reason NLP noted. Opposing coaches will also probably be making a more concerted effort to get Woody in foul trouble because the impact of him riding pine may be greater than in the past.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Which translates to foul trouble for the reason NLP noted. Opposing coaches will also probably be making a more concerted effort to get Woody in foul trouble because the impact of him riding pine may be greater than in the past.
No, it doesn't.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Not really. He's not going to get all of Gabe's minutes. He'll go from the 20 he was getting to something like 27-28, which would put him in the neighborhood of 3.5 fouls per game. Given a distribution, sure there are some nights he'll be in trouble, but it won't be a huge issue - particularly if he can show continued improvement in his foul rate like he has over his career.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Not really. He's not going to get all of Gabe's minutes. He'll go from the 20 he was getting to something like 27-28, which would put him in the neighborhood of 3.5 fouls per game. Given a distribution, sure there are some nights he'll be in trouble, but it won't be a huge issue - particularly if he can show continued improvement in his foul rate like he has over his career.
Exactly, and they are going to be hyper aware of it. He may get in foul trouble a few times like any big man, but it won't be an issue.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Looking at last year's stats, Gabe actually had the worst foul rate on the team ahead of Woody. And then after Woody's 5.3, Jok was next (of the regulars) at 3.7. In general, Iowa does a really good job as a team of not fouling.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Looking at last year's stats, Gabe actually had the worst foul rate on the team ahead of Woody. And then after Woody's 5.3, Jok was next (of the regulars) at 3.7. In general, Iowa does a really good job as a team of not fouling.
They will likely be smart with him as well. No aggressive hedging 35 feet out from the hoop would cut his foul rate down.

He is very smart defensively and is only going to get better.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
They will likely be smart with him as well. No aggressive hedging 35 feet out from the hoop would cut his foul rate down.

You have been saying this for three years. I hope this is the year he makes an offensive jump

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Dochterman said on their podcast that Fran said at the Final Four Iowa will be playing more 4 guard lineups with a guy like Uthoff playing the 5 when Woody isn't in the game.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score

Yeah, the hyper hedging 35 ft from the bucket needs to die. Woody picked up so many cheap fouls doing it and also got out of position quite a bit. Cut that out = less fouls, better defensive positioning and rotations, better overall defense.

douglasbader

Reaction score

You have been saying this for three years. I hope this is the year he makes an offensive jump
I have been correct for three years. Woodbury is a very good player on the defensive end has gotten better each year.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Yeah, the hyper hedging 35 ft from the bucket needs to die. Woody picked up so many cheap fouls doing it and also got out of position quite a bit. Cut that out = less fouls, better defensive positioning and rotations, better overall defense.
I'm 95% sure it is a Fran thing because Gabe did the exact same thing.

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score

I'm 95% sure it is a Fran thing because Gabe did the exact same thing.
Only not as well.

Reaction score
Dochterman said on their podcast that Fran said at the Final Four Iowa will be playing more 4 guard lineups with a guy like Uthoff playing the 5 when Woody isn't in the game.
Fran said Iowa is going to the Final Four? Holy crap, that's awesome. Personally, I don't care how many guards they play once they get there, as long as they get there.

Slidewilly

Reaction score
I hope we can come up with four good guards to go with Uthoff at center.