2015 Basketball Recruiting

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
They will likely be smart with him as well. No aggressive hedging 35 feet out from the hoop would cut his foul rate down.

He is very smart defensively and is only going to get better.
Yeah, the hyper hedging 35 ft from the bucket needs to die. Woody picked up so many cheap fouls doing it and also got out of position quite a bit. Cut that out = less fouls, better defensive positioning and rotations, better overall defense.
I'm 95% sure it is a Fran thing because Gabe did the exact same thing.
I actually felt like Woody did a great job with the hedging this year and - though he picked up a cheap one on occasion - overall it was valuable to the defense.

Reaction score
Yeah, the hyper hedging 35 ft from the bucket needs to die. Woody picked up so many cheap fouls doing it and also got out of position quite a bit. Cut that out = less fouls, better defensive positioning and rotations, better overall defense.
I'm 95% sure it is a Fran thing because Gabe did the exact same thing.
I actually felt like Woody did a great job with the hedging this year and - though he picked up a cheap one on occasion - overall it was valuable to the defense.
Gonzaga destroyed Iowa on the hedge. Absolutely destroyed them.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Reaction score
Gonzaga destroyed Iowa on the hedge. Absolutely destroyed them.
In fairness, Gonzaga destroyed Iowa at every spot on the floor.
Primarily because of the hedge. Leaving their skilled big men open in order to hedge 35' from the basket was probably not a good idea in hindsight.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Reaction score
My pipe dream vision is for him to be a like a Cleanthony Early. Remmber playing Wichita in early 13-14 and Early was a relative unknown out of Juco and fucking torched us? Wound up not being a fluke.
Huh? I'm pretty sure he was a 2-time JuCo Player of the Year.
He wasn't hugely ranked... His Juco was a DIII juco POY not that huge a deal.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
* late bloomer
* nba frame
* skilled handle
* shooter's touch
* floor burns
* open court athlete

perfect for what fran wants to do

Ben Kenobi

Definitely Needs to GFH
Reaction score
The most exciting highlight was around the :14 mark. If Fran can keep recruiting guys who can execute in that situation on regular basis, Iowa will be just fine.

douglasbader

Reaction score
He has the best frame of any of the incoming recruits. He looks to be a stronger, more athletic Devyn Marble.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I too get more excited about moss the more I hear and see of him. Just like RDM, the key for him will be shooting it well enough (3s and mid range) to keep defenders honest, which it sounds like he is more than capable of doing. He looks to be a really good finisher and doesn't look like he lacks a feel for the game. I'd be pretty surprised if the other freshmen guards get more time than moss does next season.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
That should lead to warm-and-fuzzies between Izzo and Painter.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Bet he ends up with Cuonzo Martin at Cal, which will result in a killer recruiting class for them

douglasbader

Reaction score
So, if most are listing him at 6'5'', it means he is 6'4''.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Hutton is most definitely a tweener. Not quite big enough to be a 4, but doesn't have the shooting or ball skills to be a starter at guard as of now. If he continues to develop in those areas, he can play the three. But with Fran's desire for length at the forward spots, ideally Hutton continues his offensive development and can fit in on the wing who can guard 1 through 3.

As most on this board have already said, Hutton is probably a developmental type of guy but with a whole lot of subside. A really good get for fran. If you're going to gamble on guys who have major deficiencies (Huttons offense, supposedly), then you might as well take a really athletic guy with long arms and a ton of desire. I think this type of thinking will hold true throughout Frans time at Iowa.

BLSardo

BSLardo, Carnie
Reaction score
What's the deal, g rape? This doesn't seem worthy of a JFC spell out scenario.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Who cares? Of course he's not 6'6" but neither are any of the players on other teams listed at 6'6".

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
What's the deal, g rape? This doesn't seem worthy of a JFC spell out scenario.
School year's winding down. WG needs summer break more than any of us could ever know. I feel you, bud.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
wasn't fatrick the last recruit in that situation?

what's the deal? didn't graduate? family shit?

uh-oh....

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Isaiah Moss, one of six new recruits joining Iowa's basketball program this season, will not enroll in summer-school classes starting June 15 or play in the Prime Time League.

Moss, who played at Simeon High School in Chicago, must complete some academic work before coming to Iowa City. Iowa coach Fran McCaffery would not discuss the Moss situation specifically.

"I expect him to enroll for the fall semester," McCaffery said.

McCaffery said the other incoming recruits — Andrew Fleming, Ahmad Wagner, Brandon Hutton, Christian Williams and junior college transfer Dale Jones — will enroll in summer school and play in the Prime Time League.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-men/2015/06/02/isaiah-moss-iowa-basketball-prime-time-league-academics-fran-mccaggery/28368377/

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
when this happens what exactly does the player have to do? earn credits to graduate? pass an ncaa core class?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
This probably has a lot to do with why he was in Iowas range for recruiting, right?