2016 Basketball Recruiting

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Scrolling through his twitter feed, he retweets a lot about not getting respect and working hard. I like that.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
The make up of this roster is going to be unlike anything we've seen at Iowa in a while.

Ellingson and bohannon are the only players on the roster under 6"5 so there are going to be a lot of match up nightmares for oppposing teams. Let's just hope the wings can shoot as well as they seemingly can drive.

I wonder what this does to Ellingson on the depth chart? Either he shoots early or sits the rest of his career? There are a lot of players of equal calibers now.

Quick article I just found on Twitter: http://www.cleveland.com/hsrecruiting/2016/05/maishe_dailey_beachwoods_three.html

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Dailey redshirt. He has lots of potential, but his growth spurt came pretty late so he's still a bit raw and not as physically developed as others. Ultimately, it might depend on how much of a contribution the coach can expect out of Moss, Jones, and bohannon

Reaction score
"However, speculation surfaced on Twitter and discussion boards that Dailey picked Iowa because he began to follow players on social media."

:icon_wink:

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
I don't know how good the Hawks are going to be in 16-17, but it's going to be very interesting and hopefully a lot of fun watching the new talent come along.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
"However, speculation surfaced on Twitter and discussion boards that Dailey picked Iowa because he began to follow players on social media."

:icon_wink:
Great fucking job on this one Chane. That was a good find.

Slidewilly

Reaction score
In terms of the way he moves and his variety of skills, Dailey looks like a 3* version of the 5* Wayne Selden.

Edit: Minus about 45 pounds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agree, i am more excited for this upcoming hoops season than i have been for a while.

Why? Because everything and everyone is new and nobody knows what to expect. Nothing can be predicted for next year, that's for sure.

Should definitely be fun! Could we completely suck? Yeah, i guess we could, but it will definitely be interesting nonetheless.

Still worried about the lack of a good true PG tho. Oh well. Let's get it on!

Slidewilly

Reaction score
Just for fun, here's a currently baseless and wildly optimistic comparison for the other old guys in the room:

Williams, Moss and Dailey = Moncrief, Delph & Brewer

Last edited:

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Back to Dailey -- from what I got, Winthrop thought he could be an impact guy in the Big South after a year or so. My guy in Rock Hill said that if he had developed a year earlier he would have been a high major recruit last summer, and that Fran got a kid who will surprise a lot of people.

Last edited:

Slidewilly

Reaction score
Just for fun, here's a currently baseless and wildly optimistic comparison for the other old guys in the room:

Williams, Moss and Dailey = Moncrief, Delph & Brewer
That's very Cyclone Fanatic of you, @Slidewilly
Yes...except, of course, for the admission that it's currently baseless and wildly optimistic. They don't bother with fine distinctions on CF.

Reaction score
It was, and just says more about some of the people around here more than anything.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score

Can't say that's a bad move. That team will be pretty darned good next year.

And even better, we don't play against him 8 times the next four years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was at the father-son camp in Iowa City this weekend. No chance in hell Dailey is 6'6". At best he is 6'2", probably closer to 6'1".

Slidewilly

Reaction score
I was at the father-son camp in Iowa City this weekend. No chance in hell Dailey is 6'6". At best he is 6'2", probably closer to 6'1".
I'll take 6'3+ for a few sheckles.

Reaction score
Joe Henricksen has a new article out on his current list of the top 10 in the Illinois class of 2016. Moore #2, Rakocevic #5, Benson #6, Jerry Myles #10.

http://highschoolcubenews.com/2015/06/16/henricksen-look-top-10-class-2016/
Man, Jerry Myles is the name that just won't die. Been hearing about him for years as he gets some great recognition then moves/disappears for awhile, then he's back. Is he ever going to make anything of himself as a D1 player? Wonder if he still has commitable offers from Iowa or ISU? I doubt it.
Ol' Jerry Myles living the dream.

http://www.scottcountyiowa.net/sheriff/temp-inmates.php?sysid=18904018848801

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Dailey looked every bit of 6'6" when he played on Sunday. Maybe even taller than that.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
i know we have a lot of experts on here, but fran has been pretty good at identifying talent, so we'll see.

he's a white PG so that's a knock.

i remember how disappointed everybody was when we were going to have to settle for riley lachance after striking out everywhere else. then even riley turned down fran, which just made that recruiting year the most frustrating ever. anyway, the point is lachance turned out to have a really good FR season at vandy. maybe gordy's son will exceed this board's expectations too

but yah, there's no doubt that fran has yet to really land a big recruit and the options for this season are dwindling. i'm still thinking cook is lining up to be the next huge kick in the groin for iowa bball recruiting fans
Free loog!

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
@wondergrape do you know anything about the guy?
Sorry Rev, I never saw this for some reason. I did not know anything about Dailey. My main memory of his commitment was being shocked that he was from Beechwood, which is the super old, super Jewish part of Cleveland. I was unaware that they played competitive sports other than croquet and hooverball in those parts.

Last edited:

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know... really early to be posting this, but incoming freshman Ben Coupet, Jr. of Simeon Prep has named us as one of his top choices thus far per his father, Coupet, Sr. Looks to be an extraordinary talent. If we establish a relationship early on, and start winning regularly, who knows.

Just to bring the thread full circle from post 1. Ben Coupet ended up as the #234 ranked recruit in the nation after averaging 10 points and 4 rebounds as a senior at Simeon. His best offer was UNLV where he is currently averaging 8 minutes and 1.6 points per game. He's listed at 6'7" and 180 pounds.

Reaction score
Joe Henricksen has a new article out on his current list of the top 10 in the Illinois class of 2016. Moore #2, Rakocevic #5, Benson #6, Jerry Myles #10.

http://highschoolcubenews.com/2015/06/16/henricksen-look-top-10-class-2016/
Man, Jerry Myles is the name that just won't die. Been hearing about him for years as he gets some great recognition then moves/disappears for awhile, then he's back. Is he ever going to make anything of himself as a D1 player? Wonder if he still has commitable offers from Iowa or ISU? I doubt it.
Ol' Jerry Myles living the dream.

http://www.scottcountyiowa.net/sheriff/temp-inmates.php?sysid=18904018848801
Sorry to bump an old thread, just thinking it was good thing Jerry Myles did not come to Iowa.

http://www.scottcountyiowa.us/sheriff/temp-inmates.php?sysid=19275535895713

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I guess he quit basketball altogether, and now he is violating custody orders and beating women.

I'm usually for giving kids another chance (he's only 19), but that is pretty bad shit there.

I didn't realize he played for UT briefly. We've had some good basketball talent here lately.