2017 Recruiting Thread

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
saw on twitter that some iowa kid named connor mccaffery had 30 in a comeback win today

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Without knowing much, I'd assume he could kick Lil' Lick's ass.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Bryce was among the boy's name I liked, and mrs g told me to GFM. In retrospect, she was very right. We had a girl, so crisis averted.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Bryce was among the boy's name I liked, and mrs g told me to GFM. In retrospect, she was very right. We had a girl, so crisis averted.
I bet here name is Tanya.

Santa Anna's Leg

Went All Cash on March 18th
Reaction score
I have a brother named Bryce.

Five siblings total and the only ones who got traditional names were Alex and Amanda.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
McCaffery's backcourt mate at West and fellow 2017 recruit Devontae Lane is getting some positive reviews:

Lane

Reaction score
Pat Harty ‏@PatHarty 7 Dec
You can just tell that Connor McCaffery has a chance to be special. Moves well for somebody his size, is unselfish, versatile and a 6-5 fr.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
McCaffery's backcourt mate at West and fellow 2017 recruit Devontae Lane is getting some positive reviews:

Lane
There are some videos out there in which Lane looks pretty good, but he's playing against fellow tykes. Looks like he has the utensils, though, and I look forward to seeing how he does this season and beyond.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Pat Harty ‏@PatHarty 7 Dec
You can just tell that Connor McCaffery has a chance to be special. Moves well for somebody his size, is unselfish, versatile and a 6-5 fr.
He could end up being 6'8" or better if he is that tall at 15 years old.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Of course, but that doesn't mean what I'm reading Is accurate. I've only seen a couple of videos but he certainly doesn't look six fucking five.

Reaction score
2017 is starting to look like potentially a very strong class in-state. WDM Valley's leading scorer is a 6-5 freshman forward named Quinton Curry. Valley is 6-3, so it's impressive for Curry to be leading them in scoring in his first year of high school ball.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
2017 is starting to look like potentially a very strong class in-state. WDM Valley's leading scorer is a 6-5 freshman forward named Quinton Curry. Valley is 6-3, so it's impressive for Curry to be leading them in scoring in his first year of high school ball.

Looks a little dainty.

Mustangs989

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Admittedly don't follow this stuff as close as I used to. Does Tanner have a shot being a high major player or is he similar to his brother as a UNI type recruit? I believe he's a '16 recruit so still a couple years out

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Connor McCaffery had three points and 7 assists in Iowa City West's win over Valley in the State Championship. Pretty good season for the freshman starting point guard.

He makes some nice plays in this video:

He is #30 and makes plays at 0:12; 0:43 - 1:07 he makes two good plays and there is a Fran sighting (The play after the Fran sighting is great); 1:50; 2:04

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
I have a brother named Bryce.

Five siblings total and the only ones who got traditional names were Alex and Amanda.
Uh, your name is pretty damn traditional.
You mean "Mike"? Yeah, I don't know what Sal was going for there...the Auchland family doesn't seem to have anything prodigious about their naming prowess...

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Connor McCaffery had three points and 7 assists in Iowa City West's win over Valley in the State Championship. Pretty good season for the freshman starting point guard.

He makes some nice plays in this video:

He is #30 and makes plays at 0:12; 0:43 - 1:07 he makes two good plays and there is a Fran sighting (The play after the Fran sighting is great); 1:50; 2:04
I was 2 minutes into that video before I even realized it was Cedar Falls

/csb

Reaction score
NY2LA discusses some of the top 2017 prospects in Iowa. Chuol goes to Des Moines East, Crowley to West Des Moines Valley, McCaffery to I.C. West and McKnight to Grinnell.

LIM CHUOL - 2017 - SF - KINGDOM HOOPS ELITE
The young wing out of Iowa has a solid overall game, and at 6-3 plays even longer than his height. On offense, he is a good slasher who takes the ball to the hoop well off the bounce and has shown the ability to shoot the ball well at different levels when he gets going.
CHARLEY CROWLEY - 2017 - PF - KINGDOM HOOPS ELITE
Crowley is a heady interior player with a developing skill-set off the blocks. He can turn either way in the post to score around the basket and has shown capable of stepping away a bit and knocking down shots off the catch. At 6-6 he is long and rebounds the ball actively.

CONNOR MCCAFFERY - 2017 - F - IOWA BARNSTORMERS
McCaffery is an outstanding all-around player with great size (6-5) on the wing. McCaffery plays hard and has great instincts on the offensive end where he can beat opponents with a quick release and sharp-shooter accuracy when he gets a decent look. He drives baseline well from the wings and can finish through contact well.
CADE MCKNIGHT - 2017 - F - IOWA BARNSTORMERS
McKnight is a developing young post prospect who is improving his athleticism with his size. McKnight has good footwork inside and can turn either way in the post to score. About 6-5, McKnight has also shown he can step back and play from the elbows as well where he hunts his shot and can knock down the mid-range pull with confidence.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I thought McCaffery started at PG for west.

Reaction score
Yeah, he plays guard for West. There has been speculation though that he will eventually grow into a small forward.

douglasbader

Reaction score
He might end up being 6'7'' or so.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Just from the videos, it doesn't look like Connor will have the lateral quickness to play PG in Dad's system.

Small forward with a PGs handle and vision. Poor man's Mullin? Detlef Schremph minus two inches?

(drawing a blank on white guy small forwards who could do more than shoot since about 2000)

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
He sort of fits right into what Fran wants to do. Long, athletic, can handle the ball and shoot. Not going to be a PG, but would be a good multi-position player.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Not to compare him to a white kid, but he plays like a left handed Jake Kelly.