**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

douglasbader

Thinks Joe W Has Access To The YMCA
Reaction score
It is officially the offseason, boyz. Let's flush that horrible season and look towards next year.

This is how I would shake things up for @AZmess ..... I officially want to see Ellingson / Pemsl as transfers. I still officially think Cook will come back, but let's say he leaves as well. Let's also assume that rumors are true and Dailey transfers.

That gives you the following:

Bohannon / Connor
Moss / Frederick
Wieskamp / Baer
Nunge / Wagner
Garza / Kreiner

You have 3 open scholarships at this point. I would go grab the best guard you can get your hands on and then the best defensive wing and bank the last scholarship. These should obviously be grad transfers or juco players. This means your roster looks like this....

Bohannon / Connor
Moss / *Guard* / Frederick
Wieskamp / *Wing*
Nunge / Baer / Wagner
Garza / Kreiner

I think that is actually the makings of a well balanced and tournament level team. You have 12 players on scholarship and Frederick doesn't need to play. You can keep Wagner for leadership and make him into a true garbage man when you need him. It gives you a rotation of 10 players and you can even keep Baer's minutes down and play him and Nunge at the 4 to stretch the court. Massive upgrades at the 3 position. It sucks losing Cook but spreads the floor and more room for Garza to operate. Kreiner avoids concussions and plays like he did the last few games.

Get rid of Francis and Dillard and get a seasoned defensive coach and a younger African-American coach that can recruit. Hire a new strength coach and put some muscle on these dorks. Somehow convince Carton to commit in the summer and maybe Foster as well.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Moss and Wagner hanging out with a bunch of white dudes? I don't know man. I don't feel good about any of this if Cook indeed leaves.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Imma go full retard and say Wagner finally makes the switch to football. He has no future in basketball. Has a big body and was 1st team all state in Ohio. He's a better fit for football.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
More drunk thoughts: Tyler Cook will not play a minute in the NBA, with or without a transfer to Missouri. This is not sour grapes, just reality. Of course he doesn't think that, but it is what it is.

We will all watch him on a super athletic, underachieving Mizzou team, as he ends up playing in the D-league and dissolving in Finland with my slime Melsahn Basabe.

He leaves and life will go on. Actually strangely I am more worried about Moss transferring than anything, because I have come to terms with Cook and Maishe flying out.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
cook is an undersized 4 who can't defend.

no nba for him.

StinkyMcFadden

Has Seen a Decent Number of Mexican Penises
Reaction score
It’s a worthwhile consideration: Should Iowa bring in an assistant coach with more of a defensive mindset this offseason?

It’s a moot point, as McCaffery said Thursday he expected Kirk Speraw, Sherman Dillard and Andrew Francis to return for their ninth seasons as his core assistant coaches.

“I hope one of them gets a head-coaching job. If that’s the case, they’ll be gone,” McCaffery said. “Otherwise, yeah (they’ll be back).”

===================

:icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral:

Gushawk

Hires SullCrom
Reaction score
Fran may not be the man.

What is Dailey upset about?

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Moss and Wagner hanging out with a bunch of white dudes? I don't know man. I don't feel good about any of this if Cook indeed leaves.
He said best guard and best wing available

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
What is Dailey upset about?
He should be upset that he is getting more PT than a guy of his meager skills deserves at a Big Ten school.

He probably thinks that he deserves more.

I'm reminded of an exercise that our high school coach put us through. Had us each rate the players on the team 1 - 15. He then held meetings with us individually and collectively to talk about how we rated ourselves, how our teammates rated us, and how the coaches rated us.

Huge surprise - all but one player rated himself higher than the coaches did. That guy was #1. Every other guy on the roster saw himself above where the coaches did.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Lol that doug thinks Frederick won’t play. Fran doesn’t believe in redshirts and the three point shooting in practice will be lights out

Reaction score
It’s a worthwhile consideration: Should Iowa bring in an assistant coach with more of a defensive mindset this offseason?

It’s a moot point, as McCaffery said Thursday he expected Kirk Speraw, Sherman Dillard and Andrew Francis to return for their ninth seasons as his core assistant coaches.

“I hope one of them gets a head-coaching job. If that’s the case, they’ll be gone,” McCaffery said. “Otherwise, yeah (they’ll be back).”

===================

:icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral::icon_neutral:
I have no idea what will happen but that's what coaches will almost always say. People flipped out over Kirk's quotes too before White, Kennedy and Davis were gone.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Lol that doug thinks Frederick won’t play. Fran doesn’t believe in redshirts and the three point shooting in practice will be lights out
I didn't say that he won't play.

douglasbader

Reaction score

===================

There are posts about this in the other thread, but if you actually listen to what he said vs. the writing after it sounds a lot different live.

It was the first time I ever thought Fran sounded like he will be pushing for one of the coaches to move on.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score

===================

Really though, what's he going to say? I have no expectations that Fran will shakeup the staff, but even if he has plans to he's not saying shit about it minutes after the season ends.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Also my money is on Cook coming back. He'll test the NBA waters and be back. No way he is transferring and sitting a year.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Just read the other thread where TK thinks Cook might just go ahead and sign with an agent... Why why why would he do that before the evaluation

Gushawk

Hires SullCrom
Reaction score
Just read the other thread where TK thinks Cook might just go ahead and sign with an agent... Why why why would he do that before the evaluation
See Debit’s above post

Reaction score
Because he hates college? That’s the only reason feasible. How much does Mel make a year? Maybe he’s in his ear and Tyler just wants to get paid. Doug is right as fans we should hope he goes pro and doesn’t transfer. Both options are dumb but he will get paid more IMO if he says fuck it and goes pro before he’s 21. By pro I mean overseas or g league. G league salaries have improved but are still shit.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Cook’s high school buddy is an NBA star in the making while he just went through a grinding season on an underachieving team.

No doubt that Cook sees himself as closer to NBA level talent than anyone else on the planet. Cuonzo Martin whispering in his ear and feeding his ego doesn’t help.

Tyler’s parents talking sense with him and pushing him to stay at Iowa would be the only thing that I can see keeping him in place.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Cook’s high school buddy is an NBA star in the making while he just went through a grinding season on an underachieving team.

No doubt that Cook sees himself as closer to NBA level talent than anyone else on the planet. Cuonzo Martin whispering in his ear and feeding his ego doesn’t help.

Tyler’s parents talking sense with him and pushing him to stay at Iowa would be the only thing that I can see keeping him in place.
I wonder how that whole family dynamic thing is. Tyler, like most kids in basketball who make bad decisions, listed an uncle as one of the people advising him. That never ends well.

StinkyMcFadden

Has Seen a Decent Number of Mexican Penises
Reaction score
Really though, what's he going to say?
"When you have a season like we just had, you have to evaluate everything. We'll sit back and take a look at everything we do and see what we need to tweak. We're obviously the worst defensive team in the history of basketball and it's apparent that I don't know how to coach defense and neither do any of the assistants. If I'm not going to change any of the coaches, we'll need to exclusively recruit high schools that have coaches who teach defense because they won't learn it here."

Something like that.

This fucking site won't let me fix the quote function. Fire everyone.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yeah, that seems realistic to say minutes after the season is over.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I know this seems like a trivial thing, but wondering how the end of season timeline works out this year. Curious to see if he waits until after spring break to talk to everyone and give them a chance to clear their mind after that long season or if he does it right away.

It is a unique situation to be completely done with the season on March 1st while no other conference tournaments have even started. The earliest they have been done under Fran was his first year in 2010-2011 when they finished on March 10th.

Selection Sunday isn't even for another almost 10 days. NCAA Tournament stars 2 weeks from now.

This fucking sucks.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
If Nunge can figure it out, and the game slows down for him, he will be really good.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
If Nunge figures it out him and Garza are a perfect fit on offense. Both can step out so one doesn’t clog the lane for the other. You could run a lot of high low action with Wieskamp and Bohannon shooting from the outside. Either have to hope Moss somehow figures it out or you start Connor and roll with the Aryan Race.

I still think Moss as your 5th option is ideal. Baer backs up Nunge, Kriener backs up Garza, Dailey is your 4th wing. Wagner gets spot minutes only when necessary.

Will never happen but if Pemsl stays you redshirt him to balance out the roster, he takes Baers spot the last 2 years while giving him a full year to get completely healthy and develop some sort of shot.

That’s a 9/10 man rotation with defined roles assuming Cook is gone.

Last edited:

6deuce

6douche
Reaction score
I like this fucking Camel guy.

#phrasing

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
If Nunge figures it out him and Garza are a perfect fit on offense. Both can step out so one doesn’t clog the lane for the other. You could run a lot of high low action with Wieskamp and Bohannon shooting from the outside. Either have to hope Moss somehow figures it out or you start Connor and roll with the Aryan Race.

I still think Moss as your 5th option is ideal. Baer backs up Nunge, Kriener backs up Garza, Dailey is your 4th wing. Wagner gets spot minutes only when necessary.

Will never happen but if Pemsl stays you redshirt him to balance out the roster, he takes Baers spot the last 2 years while giving him a full year to get completely healthy and develop some sort of shot.

That’s a 9/10 man rotation with defined rolls assuming Cook is gone.
:icon_neutral:

Reaction score
If Nunge can figure it out, and the game slows down for him, he will be really good.
I'm sure it has to be tough to take a step up in competition with bigger, faster, stronger athletes while also playing out of position and trying to defend guards. It made no fucking sense playing him at SF other than the fact that we didn't have one SF on the roster.

The quickness disadvantage on the defensive end had a much larger impact than any height/length advantage that it gave Iowa. Not that there was any room in the lane with Cook/Garza but if you're going to play a 7 footer at SF it be nice to post him up every once in a while so you're not just taking it in the ass on the defensive end. When he starts playing the correct position the game should really slow down for him.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
Nunge and Kriener are both perfect for the high post. Cook and Garza are studs but not the best match.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Monster likes rolls

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
Fuck I’m hungover

Here’s the other thing, and this is somewhat stupid but I assume you expect this from me. We just had a fucking horrible season. If cook bails I can totally see Pemsl and Kriener staying because they are iowa kids playing with their boy Jordan and they ain’t letting Iowa hoops go out like that. Add joe and Connor who is literally playing for his fathers pride and reputation and I think we see a feisty group next year who might need a tan but they can play.

douglasbader

Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
A huge part of Iowa's problem was turnovers, mostly because there was only one single healthy player on the team capable of handling the ball and even he was young, weak and barely healthy.

Next year you potentially have 4 guys that are capable of handling the ball. That is going to make a huge difference.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
A huge part of Iowa's problem was turnovers, mostly because there was only one single healthy player on the team capable of handling the ball and even he was young, weak and barely healthy.

Next year you potentially have 4 guys that are capable of handling the ball. That is going to make a huge difference.
If they cut the turnovers by 5 per game they will be a top 20 offensive team and be marginally better defensively, even without actual defensive improvement. I think it is almost likely when (if) Connor and Wieskamp both play.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
So it's NBA or bust. Hopefully someone talks him into holding off on signing an agent until after the eval.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yep, there it is for sure. He's going pro and the only question will he leave himself the out to come back. Either way, he isn't planning on transferring or sitting out and that is the best case scenario for Iowa when it comes to how this looks to recruits.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Fuck I’m hungover

Here’s the other thing, and this is somewhat stupid but I assume you expect this from me. We just had a fucking horrible season. If cook bails I can totally see Pemsl and Kriener staying because they are iowa kids playing with their boy Jordan and they ain’t letting Iowa hoops go out like that. Add joe and Connor who is literally playing for his fathers pride and reputation and I think we see a feisty group next year who might need a tan but they can play.
These guys won the B10 outright, followed up with B10 tournament and went to back-to-back Final Fours:

http://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?roster=28&path=mbball

It's premature but not completely insane to see some of our guys fulfilling the roles:

Kaminsky- Garza
Dekker- Weiskamp
Koenig- Bohannon
Hayes- Nunge???
Jackson- Moss/McCaffery

No one else on that team averaged more than 6 points/game. Obviously optimistic and easy to give most of the advantage to the Wisconsin guys but I doubt anyone saw those guys coming two years out. And within that time period we also add Patrick and maybe Carton. The Wisconsin teams also were not defense-optional.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
All the dumbass writers and posters who suddenly knew for months that Cook was leaving for Mizzou and it was an open secret since November need to eat some crow and then go fuck themselves hard.