***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

Bob

Reaction score
For DJ Carton? Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, or Connor.

Unless he really is a huge POS, in which case none of them.
Yeah the only guys on the team I'd really be concerned about losing for him would be Garza, Weiskamp, and CJ. He obviously wouldn't impact the first two and if he eats into CJ's minutes at all it wouldn't be significant. I like Toussaint and he showed some promise but he's not even close to the same level of player. If Carton is in a good place mentally he's probably like their third best player at worst and he brings an all around skillset they don't really have right now. They should be doing everything they can to get him if there's any interest. He's a legit NBA talent, we haven't had a guard like that in a really long time.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
He'll be at Nebrantska, Iowa State, or Michigan. Maybe Creighton.

The kid had legit nba dreams, he ain't going to a fucking mid-major. He'll go to Europe or the G-league before he does that.

CurdMan

TurdMan
Reaction score
A flake? I mean maybe he is but it’s almost like some of you have no clue what depression, anxiety, and mental illness is like. Him leaving OSU to get right doesn’t make him a flake and some kind of locker room cancer. I mean Sean Welsh left Iowa and was away from the team while they were working their asses off getting ready for the season. And KF speaks of him about as highly as anyone I can remember. Try to have some kind of awareness and compassion for people going through things that maybe you haven’t experienced before writing him off as a flake

CurdMan

TurdMan
Reaction score
Seems like Carton really liked Ohio State and the guys. Wouldn’t make sense to transfer unless he actually really intends to get closer to home. My guess would be Iowa, Wisconsin, or Marquette. Another thing- pretty sure in-person recruiting (on campus and home visits) is off the table right now due to Coronavirus. Could see him focus on coaches and schools he got to know well in the past. Otherwise it could be months before he could meet coaches and see schools he isn’t familiar with.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
A flake? I mean maybe he is but it’s almost like some of you have no clue what depression, anxiety, and mental illness is like. Him leaving OSU to get right doesn’t make him a flake and some kind of locker room cancer. I mean Sean Welsh left Iowa and was away from the team while they were working their asses off getting ready for the season. And KF speaks of him about as highly as anyone I can remember. Try to have some kind of awareness and compassion for people going through things that maybe you haven’t experienced before writing him off as a flake
:roll: :roll: :roll:

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
He isn't a flake because he took time to work on his mental health. He is a flake because he basically said he was coming back and all in on Ohio State and now the first chance he gets he enters the portal and word is he is looking at Creighton as his first option.

That is fucking flaky as shit.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
god forbid he changed his mind. He probably did have all intentions of going back to OSU. Things change. Maybe he'd LIKE to stay but it'd be better for him if he was closer to home.

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
god forbid he changed his mind. He probably did have all intentions of going back to OSU. Things change. Maybe he'd LIKE to stay but it'd be better for him if he was closer to home.
I know when I want to stay close to home, I consider transferring 4 hours away to Creighton.

AZmess

Reaction score
Like anyone fucking knows. No one knows. Someone could have pulled creighton out of their ass for all you know.

I don’t know man. Y’all can downplay the mental health stuff if you want.

Reaction score
With the timeline Carton gave for his mental health issues, he would have been going through it during his high school recruitment. That just makes it weirder that he didn’t even have Iowa as a finalist.

• GFY
Reactions: BBK

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
Like anyone fucking knows. No one knows. Someone could have pulled creighton out of their ass for all you know.

I don’t know man. Y’all can downplay the mental health stuff if you want.
I accept your white flag of surrender.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
So if Kakert is to be believed that would have required either Iowa to reach out to Carton or Carton to reach out to Iowa.

Given he didn’t make his announcement until today (sure there was probably some behind the scenes chatter) and him saying they mutually agreed it’s not the right time that probably means he reached out to Iowa and Fran said ‘no’

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
So if Kakert is to be believed that would have required either Iowa to reach out to Carton or Carton to reach out to Iowa.

Given he didn’t make his announcement until today (sure there was probably some behind the scenes chatter) and him saying they mutually agreed it’s not the right time that probably means he reached out to Iowa and Fran said ‘no’
That was pretty much the interpretation I thought earlier as well. Seems the most face saving answer for Carton.

Wild times if that is the case and Iowa is in the position to tell him no.

Reactions: BBK
Reaction score
Why would you take anything Kakert says as gold? Hes missed Iowa basketball scoops left and right. 5 guys leaving Iowa didnt happen. Cooks possibly done for the season last year.

He has as many sources as we do.

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
Why would you take anything Kakert says as gold? Hes missed Iowa basketball scoops left and right. 5 guys leaving Iowa didnt happen. Cooks possibly done for the season last year.

He has as many sources as we do.
I am skeptical of Kakert scoops, but he legit had this one before anyone else. He also said that the same person that told him Carton would be in the portal also told him about Iowa and Carton mutually deciding it wasn't the right time or fit.

Reaction score
Iowa saying no would also make sense with the Barnstormers smiley face. (How’s that for a weird sentence?)

Barnstormers may have heard that Carton wanted to come to Iowa and not known Iowa’s level of interest. It wouldn’t make sense the other way around.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
That was my point about Kakerts insight. Iowa moving on within about an hour of Cartons announcement is either irresponsible or complete bullshit. Iowa had no reason to say no today. He won’t be able to visit anywhere for at least a month.

Reaction score
That was my point about Kakerts insight. Iowa moving on within about an hour of Cartons announcement is either irresponsible or complete bullshit. Iowa had no reason to say no today. He won’t be able to visit anywhere for at least a month.
100 percent agree. Considering the injuries Iowa dealt with this season, and the uncertainty with Garza/Weiskamp/Nunge/Bohannon/Pat McCaf, etc., no way in hell Fran told 4-star/almost 5-star kid from Bettendorf to go fuck himself at this point.

Reaction score
Big man depth is a big need (and Nunge is a Brommer level player anyways), he would make a very good team a little better. But Carton at his potential......lawd Jesus. Iowa would be a legitimate contender.

That being said, chemistry is a real life consideration, and Fran has a tough decision to make if Carton actually wants to come here.
Did you just say Nunge is Brommer level? I’m sorry, but that’s retarded.

Reaction score
You do have to wonder where he is mentally.

He's basically missed two straight seasons.

Reaction score
If Fran truly thinks he’d fuck up the chemistry or not be worth the effort I’ll trust him. Carton is very talented but it would be extra hilarious for Iowa to have a great season without him. Not to mention Foster, who will likely be languishing in Ames absent a coaching change.

douglasbader

Was RATT
Reaction score
If Fran truly thinks he’d fuck up the chemistry or not be worth the effort I’ll trust him. Carton is very talented but it would be extra hilarious for Iowa to have a great season without him. Not to mention Foster, who will likely be languishing in Ames absent a coaching change.
The players all appear to have gone home. I'm sure that Fran has commitments on who is coming back.

If pretty much everyone is coming back, there is no room.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I’d welcome Carton.

No thanks on Foster. I’m fine with him in Ames.

I’ll be surprised if Patrick ever plays.

Not so deep thoughts.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Patrick will play and he will be fuckin good.

Toussaint will have a better career than Carton.
Yeah all three of those could easily be the exact opposite of what I posted. Probably why I’m not a coach.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Why alienate a guy like Touissant who looked really promising as a freshman and has been your guy from day one for a guy who is either flaky or totally has mental health issues?

With the type of dude Fran is, I'm sure it was exhilarating for him to have the privilege of telling DJ to GFH.

We don't need him.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I never thought Iowa basketball would be in the position where there's an argument about not wanting two top 50'ish type players.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I don’t agree with Beebs that Joe T will have a better career than Carton, but I also don’t want to have to take Carton if it means pushing Joe T out.

This is like where you couldn’t find a girlfriend and there was no one, then you find a girlfriend and all of a sudden all these suitors come out of the woodwork.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
I don’t agree with Beebs that Joe T will have a better career than Carton, but I also don’t want to have to take Carton if it means pushing Joe T out.

This is like where you couldn’t find a girlfriend and there was no one, then you find a girlfriend and all of a sudden all these suitors come out of the woodwork.
Right. Stick with the ug what loved you first.

Reaction score
I just don't know how long Carton plans on being in school.

Would I trade two years of Carton for three of Joe, yeah. But 1 for three, no.

AZmess

Reaction score
Why alienate a guy like Touissant who looked really promising as a freshman and has been your guy from day one for a guy who is either flaky or totally has mental health issues?

With the type of dude Fran is, I'm sure it was exhilarating for him to have the privilege of telling DJ to GFH.

We don't need him.
:roll:

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
For like 8 years we've bitched about Fran not getting quick guards and next year we're going to have three who are all super capable.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
As long as Luka is playing for them the hawks have a clear offensive identity and I’m not sure Carton could/would buy in. Bohannon on the other hand is a very good and willing post entry passer.

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
Ya Joe T isn't as talented but if I had to choose 1 or the other, give me Joe T over Carton. Joe T wanted to come here, he has a year in the system and has shown the quickness and toughness Iowa has lacked at PG for years. Bailing mid-season freshman year isn't a great sign for Carton.