***2019-2020 Iowa Basketball Season Thread***

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
to be a three or two in the NBA you either have to be real athletic or be able to really shoot it from deep. So far in his career Joe W doesn't fit either those criteria.

He can make money playing professional but I don't think it'll be in the NBA. He's a taller Matt Gatens.

But who knows, nobody thought Matt Thomas would make it either

Reaction score
Gatens was a better shooter than JW. He had a way quicker trigger.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Remember the start to Joks sophomore year? He was terrible and barely playing when everyone expected a big year.

Then mid December he started playing like the player we expected and by the end of the year was awesome.

Give Joe some time. It’s still early.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
to be a three or two in the NBA you either have to be real athletic or be able to really shoot it from deep. So far in his career Joe W doesn't fit either those criteria.

He can make money playing professional but I don't think it'll be in the NBA. He's a taller Matt Gatens.

That isn't true at all on the shoot it from deep part. Wieskamp was 43% from three and is one of the best shooters in the country.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
I thought I've read here a couple of times that bohannon had to decide on the redshirt *before* the ISU game. Leistikow's article today says he can play 10 games with the last one being the ISU game. Also confirms that he's not practicing, and was hurting for the SDSU game playing the 2nd night in a row (as assumed)

bohannon has played in seven games. He's been assured that he can play in as many as 10 and still be eligible for a medical-hardship waiver, which — if approved — would allow him to return to the Hawkeyes for the 2020-21 season.

That option has always been in the back of bohannon’s mind. And it continues to be, if the hip pain becomes too much.

In other words, bohannon can give it a go for three more games and then make a decision.

Friday: At Michigan.

Monday: Home against Minnesota.

Next Thursday: At Iowa State.

Three fun, big games.

As I said … he’s not ready to walk away just yet.
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2019/12/04/leistikow-whats-next-for-jordan-bohannon-as-he-considers-redshirt-after-hip-surgery/2600031001/

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

That isn't true at all on the shoot it from deep part. Wieskamp was 43% from three and is one of the best shooters in the country.
I hope I'm wrong and the kid does make it to the NBA. He seems like a great kid

douglasbader

Reaction score
I thought I've read here a couple of times that bohannon had to decide on the redshirt *before* the ISU game. Leistikow's article today says he can play 10 games with the last one being the ISU game. Also confirms that he's not practicing, and was hurting for the SDSU game playing the 2nd night in a row (as assumed)

bohannon has played in seven games. He's been assured that he can play in as many as 10 and still be eligible for a medical-hardship waiver, which — if approved — would allow him to return to the Hawkeyes for the 2020-21 season.

That option has always been in the back of bohannon’s mind. And it continues to be, if the hip pain becomes too much.

In other words, bohannon can give it a go for three more games and then make a decision.

Friday: At Michigan.

Monday: Home against Minnesota.

Next Thursday: At Iowa State.

Three fun, big games.

As I said … he’s not ready to walk away just yet.
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2019/12/04/leistikow-whats-next-for-jordan-bohannon-as-he-considers-redshirt-after-hip-surgery/2600031001/
He sat out a game so he can play the Iowa State game which would be Iowa's 11th but his 10th.

Reaction score
Douchebag responds to the first tweet, and in comes Pete off the top rope:

douglasbader

Reaction score
Tyler V appears to be a huge Trumptard. Shocking.

CamelTones

Reaction score
So Garza made it to 1000 points 9 games into his junior year...does he have a shot at 2000 and Marbles 2116 if he doesn’t get injured?

It would probably take a couple deep Big Ten tournament and NCAA/NIT tournament runs to get there but I think it’s possible.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
So Garza made it to 1000 points 9 games into his junior year...does he have a shot at 2000 and Marbles 2116 if he doesn’t get injured?

It would probably take a couple deep Big Ten tournament and NCAA/NIT tournament runs to get there but I think it’s possible.
~19/ppg, every game for the rest of his career. After watching last night, seems possible.

eclone

Reaction score

~19/ppg, every game for the rest of his career. After watching last night, seems possible.
If he averages 20/9 the rest of this year, gotta think he’s getting paid to play next year.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score

If he averages 20/9 the rest of this year, gotta think he’s getting paid to play next year.
In Europe?

I really have no idea about the NBA draft, but I wasn't thinking Garza would ever play in the NBA, even if he became Iowa's all-time leading scorer. I could be completely off base.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score

Not in the NBA he won’t.

I love Luka, but his game doesn’t seem to translate well to today’s NBA.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Luka would have been a lottery pick in 1986.

He's a D League guy for 2021. His game doesn't translate to today's NBA.

He could play in Europe until 35, though.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I still think Luka can possibly play in the NBA if his outside shot slightly improves. He is pretty good for his size and with some more work he could be a good pick and shoot 4 man.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
In Europe?

I really have no idea about the NBA draft, but I wasn't thinking Garza would ever play in the NBA, even if he became Iowa's all-time leading scorer. I could be completely off base.
I can't think of an NBA player that is slower than Garza. Maybe Boban or Taco but they have a defensive presence and are 7'3"+. I don't see it happening and if he left there is no way he is a first round pick.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don’t feel like getting drafted is even a big deal anymore with the G league and various contracts. Kids that have graduated are likely going to go pro or grad transfer.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I would be shocked if Luka even considered going pro unless he had a first round promise. He doesn't need the money and I think he and his family would much rather have him playing in college and being an All-American potentially as a senior.

Can't see Frank Garza traveling to G-League cities and watching games in empty arenas.

There is no benefit to him going pro unless he has some ridiculous first round guarantee, which he of course won't get.

eclone

Reaction score
I can’t fathom a major conference team giving up that many points to Syracuse.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Maybe he can be a poor mans Aron Baynes. Baynes is a little faster.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
He isn't ready, and maybe he never will be, but it is early in the season. The thought would be he would show a lot more alpha from attitude to creating off the dribble and be around that 16 an 7 level.

So far he hasn't done much of that and has looked hesitant and downright scared a few times. Maybe that is him pressing too much, having a banged up elbow or being sick, but his numbers aren't much different than his Freshman numbers. To go a step further, CJ Fredrick actually has almost identical numbers to Wieskamp and is more efficient and a better defender that is willing to drive and finish.

Small sample so far and Wieskamp could turn it on, but the most concerning thing as far as the NBA part is he can't seem to create off the dribble.

The "worst" case scenario is he is a guy that plays 4 years at Iowa and potentially a 2-3 time All-Big Ten type of player. Good for Iowa fans.
Maybe if you had been a better babysitter.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Garza was named national player of the week. First Hawkeye ever

douglasbader

Reaction score
If Iowa can beat Cincinnati on a neutral court (they will be the favorite) they will have more than done everything they needed to do in the pre-January schedule.

They would be 10-3 and if they could go 9-9 the rest of the way before the BTT they would be a lock for the NCAA Tournament.

It would be without a doubt Fran's best coaching job ever considering everything.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
If Iowa can beat Cincinnati on a neutral court (they will be the favorite) they will have more than done everything they needed to do in the pre-January schedule.

They would be 10-3 and if they could go 9-9 the rest of the way before the BTT they would be a lock for the NCAA Tournament.

It would be without a doubt Fran's best coaching job ever considering everything.
Everything, you mean like recruiting all these white dudes?

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score

Subscribe

CamelTones

Reaction score
Iowa has the number 1 offense in the country. A center averaging 21 and 10. And shooters all over the perimeter. Yet a top 100 big man, within the borders of this state, decided he wanted to play for the other team.

That’s really dumb.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa has the number 1 offense in the country. A center averaging 21 and 10. And shooters all over the perimeter. Yet a top 100 big man, within the borders of this state, decided he wanted to play for the other team.

That’s really dumb.
Lifelong Hawk fan to boot.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This has been an incredible run in the toughest X-games in a row OOC stretch - at least on paper before the season started - the Hawks have had in some time;

vs Texas Tech (in LV) - W [by 11 (a TTU who just won this past weekend @ #1 Louisville) = extra points for neutral site win + double digits]
vs San Diego St (in LV) - L
@ Syracuse - W [by 13 = extra points for road win & double digits]
@ Top5 Michigan - L
vs Minnesota - W [by 20]
@ Iowa St - W [by 16 = extra points for road win & double digits]
vs Cincinnati (in Chicago) - ??

So, 4-2 in an unfinished 7-game stretch that looked like 'murderer's row' before the season started. Even with a L to Cincy, they finish that stretch at least 1 game better than I would have predicted - especially after the Depaul game.

After Depaul, I was down in the dumps mentally on the prognosis for this team's chances of doing any sort of thing this season. Now? I'm wondering if they can garner a '2nd day start to the BTT' finish in the conference and be playing for seeding instead of helping their bubble status with a W or two by the time that the last regular season game concludes.

Brownzy

Important Backpack Wearer
Reaction score
This has been an incredible run in the toughest X-games in a row OOC stretch - at least on paper before the season started - the Hawks have had in some time;

vs Texas Tech (in LV) - W [by 11 (a TTU who just won this past weekend @ #1 Louisville) = extra points for neutral site win + double digits]
vs San Diego St (in LV) - L
@ Syracuse - W [by 13 = extra points for road win & double digits]
@ Top5 Michigan - L
vs Minnesota - W [by 20]
@ Iowa St - W [by 16 = extra points for road win & double digits]
vs Cincinnati (in Chicago) - ??

So, 4-2 in an unfinished 7-game stretch that looked like 'murderer's row' before the season started. Even with a L to Cincy, they finish that stretch at least 1 game better than I would have predicted - especially after the Depaul game.

After Depaul, I was down in the dumps mentally on the prognosis for this team's chances of doing any sort of thing this season. Now? I'm wondering if they can garner a '2nd day start to the BTT' finish in the conference and be playing for seeding instead of helping their bubble status with a W or two by the time that the last regular season game concludes.
The season is still a pretty big unknown if bohannon sits.

Trying not to get too excited until we win games with him watching in a suit.

I do still think we make the dance though

Last edited:

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
GB Jack Nunge, but his injury has been a blessing in disguise. Get to play most of the time with 4 perimeter players around Garza allowing him to beast in the paint. Also forced Fran to shorten the rotations. Man, what a turnaround from the dark days of DePaul and the Foster commitment.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I still think Nunge will be a big contributor next year, but it's going to be a long adjustment period. Longer than he was taking this year.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I still think Nunge will be a big contributor next year, but it's going to be a long adjustment period. Longer than he was taking this year.
Even just having Nunge instead of Pemsl in the game would help slow those little 4-8 point opponent runs when Garza is taking a breather.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fran needs to cull the herd next year or he is going to have too many toys to play with and it will hurt the team. 14 guys on the team next year as of now.

Pemsl has to go. The Murray twins should redshirt. The freshman shouldn't play unless they are really good.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
If we are going to play four out going forward Nunge will be effective. He looks lost as the second big man.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Fran needs to cull the herd next year or he is going to have too many toys to play with and it will hurt the team. 14 guys on the team next year as of now.

Pemsl has to go. The Murray twins should redshirt. The freshman shouldn't play unless they are really good.
Pemsl looks like he might finally realize he isn’t good. He may be okay with just getting his degree and contributing in practice or mop up minutes.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Nunge as Garzas backup, essentially replacing Kriener is perfect for him coming off that injury. I really hope Fran sees the light with this years lineup. You don't need a traditional lineup to be successful in 2019. 4 out with a dominant post is the way to play.

If bohannon redshirts I hope Patrick can go this year. They really only need 6-10 minutes a game out of him. He can redshirt next year. I'm just afraid Fran will take bohannon out of the starting lineup and replace him with Kriener.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Joe will likely start when Jordan is done. I would also like to get 6-8 minutes out of Till.

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The biggest restriction to playing 4 out in years past was simply a lack of true PGs. We will miss bohannon but I am excited to see Toussaint with more minutes.

Bob

Reaction score

I think Ogundele almost has to but otherwise yeah. They need some frontcourt depth with Kreiner graduating but they're going to be pretty set at guard and wing if bohannon comes back

CamelTones

Reaction score
He wasn’t good, but it would be nice to swap Evelyn out for Dailey.