**2019 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
It is going to be a potentially interesting off-season.

The first question hinges on Cook. He of course will declare again for the NBA Draft and it wouldn't be the most shocking thing to see him immediately hire an agent. I think he will get an invite to the combine this year as he is in multiple NBA Mock Draft's as a 2nd round pick. If he doesn't hire an agent and barring a surprising showing at the combine, he is likely back. Either way, going to be waiting this out until the last day again.

I am guessing Moss could declare again, but seems like a huge waste of time. Don't think anyone else declares.

From there you are looking at the following questions.....

- What does Dailey do? The best case scenario is he graduates and moves on, but I don't think he is going to graduate in 3 years. Maybe he will simply want to transfer and sit out a year and then play his last year somewhere else.

- What does Connor do? Maybe he has a great baseball season and they figure that Toussaint is good enough they don't really need him.

I can't see anyone else transferring. Pemsl is locked in. Nunge is locked in. Frederick is locked in. Does that mean Patrick redshirts? What the fuck does Fran do if 13 guys are on the team and nobody is redshirting?

My prediction overall is that Cook and Dailey are gone. Nunge and Pemsl will make up for Cook and the offense has a better flow. Fredrick and Patrick can replace Dailey. Connor plays but isn't relied on as much.

Bohannon / Connor / Toussaint
Moss / Fredrick
Wieskamp / Patrick
Nunge / Pemsl / Till
Garza / Kreiner

Iowa should be set up for a really nice year again.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Iowa is playing what appears to be a brutal schedule on paper next year.

If Cook comes back you’ll have a team loaded with upper classmen that should be able to handle that.

Creed

Doesn't go to the dentist
Reaction score
I think a big storyline this offseason will be recruiting considering what will need to be replaced after next year. Whether cook stays or goes, i can’t see fran filling his scholarship for next year so they’ll be recruiting 4 spots.

There is absolutely a need for a rebounding PF/C. Then you always take a ball handler, grab a wing and then the best player available. He’s got momentum to sell and some good pieces after next year’s seniors leave. Fran cannot strike out.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Also, just because a guy like Frederick becomes eligible doesn’t mean he has to play major minutes next year.

Add Nunge and Pemsl to the current team and they’ll be fine. Nothing wrong with letting guys develop while watching.

Reaction score
Also, just because a guy like Frederick becomes eligible doesn’t mean he has to play major minutes next year.

Add Nunge and Pemsl to the current team and they’ll be fine. Nothing wrong with letting guys develop while watching.
Definitely. None of us have a clue on Fredrick but I'm intrigued. He's theoretically the easiest guy to leave out of the rotation but I liked his videos and the redshirt should have helped him. He got stronger if nothing else.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Is Frederick quick? Havent watched any tapes of him.

Reaction score
If Cook comes back, and Nunge is as good as people hope, Ryan Kriener should see his minutes drop. But I don't see Fran doing that to a senior.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score

If Cook comes back you’ll have a team loaded with upper classmen that should be able to handle that.
I know I could dmofr, but what is the tough schedule everyone keeps mentioning?

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
If Cook comes back, and Nunge is as good as people hope, Ryan Kriener should see his minutes drop. But I don't see Fran doing that to a senior.
Uhl went from 18 minutes sophomore year to 5 senior year. It could happen but Kriener has proved to be serviceable at times so probably won’t.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score

The rematch against Cincinnati at the United Center will be a big one.

Reaction score

I know I could dmofr, but what is the tough schedule everyone keeps mentioning?
At Iowa State
VS. Cincinnati in Chicago
Vegas tournament vs. 2 of Texas Tech, Creighton, San Diego State. My guess is they put us and TTU opposite.
ACC Challenge on the road
Big East team in the Gavitt Games at home

The conference challenges should be vs. top half teams. That's 6 tough games plus 20 in the Big Ten then 5 buy games at home.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I think Cook comes back. Patrick should RS but who knows with Fran. Our ceiling is about the same unless we see big improvements from guys like Nunge and Pemsl.

StinkyMcFadden

Has Seen a Decent Number of Mexican Penises
Reaction score
Our ceiling isn't the same at all.

If Toussaint is a good ball handler, which I'm sure he is, and he can play even a little D, we'll be much improved and likely won't be starting our offense 35' from the basket.

Reaction score
Offense finished last year ranked 19th in the country. This year we're 14th. I think that can realsitically improve if only moderately.

Defense was 242nd last year, 109th this year which was a huge jump. Need to make another jump to top 75. The Woodbury era we ranked 24th, 77th, 34th and 30th. Fran's first year here we were 56th. Hope Garza with a full offseason can get slightly quicker and better inside. Bohannon will always be a liability on that end but maybe that can be minimized with other options.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
It’d be nice if Frederick could be a healthy Ryan Hogan type guy. Every team could use a guy like that. Fran would have to use him like that though, and not try to make him into Curry.

Pemsl can’t create like cook, but he’s a good energy guy and a pretty good rebounder. Hopefully he just plays within himself and the offense and he could be a plus for the team. Two crafty guys down low will be great with some shooters on the outside.

Nunge is really interesting. Not many guys his size with his skill, but he was soft as hell last year. Frans probably been working on his confidence hard this year. Hopefully he’s got him convinced he’s hanging a hammer.

I haven’t seen much of Toussaint, but he sounds intriguing.

Pat has better be good, or Fran’s really going to have to navigate cautiously.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
My preference is Connor and Maishe leaving

I’m indifferent on Cook. He’s a mediocre defender and a shitty rebounder. With his athleticism those to things shouldn’t be such an issue for him.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Joe Wieskamp is a fucking stud and is the type of talent that can change the mindset of the program. The way he rebounded the last 2 weeks has been overlooked. Has a similar feel for the game as White.

Once Iowa starts running their offense through him and Garza the spacing will improve.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
The only way Connor isn't back is if he's a high pick in the mlb draft in June.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
He should go play baseball if he’s the last pick of the draft

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
I don't believe he is eligible to be drafted this summer.

Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:
  • High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
  • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
  • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:
  • High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
  • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
  • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed
Connor turns 21 7/13. I think he is a junior academically due to credits he received in HS.

Reaction score
I don't get the Connor hate. Dude is a serviceable back up guard. If he can develop his 3 a bit/be willing to shoot and draw defenders out he is fine. He had to play more this year because Jbo was the only one that could handle the ball outside of him.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Joe Wieskamp is a fucking stud and is the type of talent that can change the mindset of the program. The way he rebounded the last 2 weeks has been overlooked. Has a similar feel for the game as White.

Once Iowa starts running their offense through him and Garza the spacing will improve.
I can't remember a wing who rebounds that well on the offensive end at Iowa. He's always in the mix on the glass.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Despite all of the "Fran will never bench his son!" complaints, nothing about the way Fran used Connor this year makes me think Fran will play him too much if Touissant can play.

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
I don't get the Connor hate. Dude is a serviceable back up guard. If he can develop his 3 a bit/be willing to shoot and draw defenders out he is fine. He had to play more this year because Jbo was the only one that could handle the ball outside of him.
Personally i think he is a 5-7 min a game guy who plays 20. I refuse to believe Toussiant will not be a better option but I don’t see Fran sitting his son either. That’s my main complaint

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
And if toussaint can’t play we are in trouble.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score

Nope

StinkyMcFadden

Reaction score
He's a below average PG who can't penetrate, doesn't have great handles and can't shoot. A BigTen team shouldn't have a backup PG by default because he's the only one on the team who can dribble a little.

Worst case scenario is that Toussaint comes in a little like Trigger Trey and doesn't play much and transfers when his minutes are going to a guy who can't penetrate, doesn't have great handles and can't shoot. And then coaches will be able to continue to use Connor against us with any PG for the foreseeable future when a 4-star doesn't play over Margaret and Fran's oldest son, Connor McCaffery.

The schedule won't allow Toussaint to work thru much retardation.

:)

CamelTones

Reaction score
For Iowa to take another step as a program they need to learn to play the entire game the way they did the second half. Their effort on defense was the best all season. It’s like they figured out you’re allowed to be within 5 feet of the guy your guarding.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
This needs to be Joe's team the next three years. If Cook isn't on board, he can GFH

Reaction score
My preference is Connor and Maishe leaving

I’m indifferent on Cook. He’s a mediocre defender and a shitty rebounder. With his athleticism those to things shouldn’t be such an issue for him.
This is overboard. He's not a shitty rebounder. We can think he should be better but he's solid. He averaged 7.8 per game and 10.2 per 40. In conference play he averaged 8.1 which was 6th in the league. That isn't shitty.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't want Cook back can GFT. He's a a good kid, a good basketball player and he's the type of guy that can help make Iowa into an elite team next year. Yeah, he makes mistakes and can be frustrating, but so can everyone else on the roster.

StinkyMcFadden

Reaction score
There's no way that Cook isn't completely humbled. It would be too bad if he doesn't come back because when a pro league looks at his body of work this year, so much of it is terrible. Wanting to go earn some $ now will likely end up costing him $.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
Personally i think he is a 5-7 min a game guy who plays 20. I refuse to believe Toussiant will not be a better option but I don’t see Fran sitting his son either. That’s my main complaint
HE. WAS. OUR. ONLY. OTHER. BALLHANDLER.