**2019 NCAA Tournament Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Selection Sunday, boyz!

Flush whatever happened at the end of the year, 22-11 and a lock even as an 8 or 9 seed is a great improvement, especially when you consider that the Big Ten will end up with 11 teams in the Top 45 of KenPom and no team lower than the Top 80. It was a brutal fucking year in the Big Ten and going to 20 games didn't help. I know I have said it before, but think they would be at 24-9 if they have a schedule in any year prior.

Maybe they will shock everyone and get a 7 seed, but I think 8/9 is a near guarantee.

If that is the case, would want either Duke or Tennessee as the #1 seed in their bracket. Do not want any fucking part of Gonzaga or Virginia.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I was pumped for the 20 games but man it might actually be too much. Just a brutal grind.

I am not as bullish on our resume as almost every bracket guy, but it seems pretty clear that we are an 8/9. A 7 would be a pleasant surprise to the upside l and I don’t think there’s any way we are left out but the lack of precedent in using the NET gives me the slightest bit of nervousness.

Reaction score
In terms of 2nd round potential, there's really no difference in 8/9 or 7/10 this year. We can't be matched with UM or MSU so that leaves the 3 ACC schools, 2 SEC schools or Gonzaga. All pretty much on the same level.

Just hoping for a good first round matchup and nothing crazy from the committee.

douglasbader

Reaction score
In terms of 2nd round potential, there's really no difference in 8/9 or 7/10 this year. We can't be matched with UM or MSU so that leaves the 3 ACC schools, 2 SEC schools or Gonzaga. All pretty much on the same level.

Just hoping for a good first round matchup and nothing crazy from the committee.
I'm thinking we end up with Ole' Miss or VCU. I really don't want Syracuse.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

I'm thinking we end up with Ole' Miss or VCU. I really don't want Syracuse.
But then we could sweep the full 2k Classic field

Sundown

Homewrecker
Reaction score
I was pumped for the 20 games but man it might actually be too much. Just a brutal grind.

I am not as bullish on our resume as almost every bracket guy, but it seems pretty clear that we are an 8/9. A 7 would be a pleasant surprise to the upside l and I don’t think there’s any way we are left out but the lack of precedent in using the NET gives me the slightest bit of nervousness.
at this point excluding the P12 a P5 team (P4?) basically just needs a winning overall record and the committee will make up whatever quadrant/NET criteria necessary. Iowa is fine.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
NM

Last edited:

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Selection Sunday, boyz!

Flush whatever happened at the end of the year, 22-11 and a lock even as an 8 or 9 seed is a great improvement, especially when you consider that the Big Ten will end up with 11 teams in the Top 45 of KenPom and no team lower than the Top 80. It was a brutal fucking year in the Big Ten and going to 20 games didn't help. I know I have said it before, but think they would be at 24-9 if they have a schedule in any year prior.

Maybe they will shock everyone and get a 7 seed, but I think 8/9 is a near guarantee.

If that is the case, would want either Duke or Tennessee as the #1 seed in their bracket. Do not want any fucking part of Gonzaga or Virginia.
Iowa is the highest 8 on Bracket Matrix. I would not be shocked if the committee placed them as a 7 and dropped a team like Wofford or Nevada to an 8.

Reaction score
It's nice to have a reason to pay attention on selection Sunday.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Selection Sunday, boyz!

Seems likely that Gonzaga has fallen off the 1 line.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Having tickets for the Final Four has me looking at this tournament completely different from previous seasons.

For example: Ordinarily, I would love to see Duke lose as early as possible. Instead, I am hoping they make the Final Four (unless Iowa is in their regional) so I get a chance to watch Zion in person.

Of course I am looking forward to Iowa shocking all of you fuckers (and that douchenozzle Hassel) in making the Final our. CCM

Hey guys!

douglasbader

Reaction score
I would love to go and watch the tournament this year, but the 1st/2nd round sites are the worst.

March 21/23 Hartford, CT XL Center
March 21/23 Salt Lake City, UT Vivint Smart Home Arena
March 21/23 Des Moines, IA Wells Fargo Arena
March 21/23 Jacksonville, FL Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena
March 22/24 Tulsa, OK BOK Center
March 22/24 Columbus, OH Nationwide Arena
March 22/24 Columbia, SC Colonial Life Arena
March 22/24 San Jose, CA SAP Center

There isn't a decent flight into any of these except for Salt Lake City and who the fuck wants to go to Salt Lake City in mid-March.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I prefer an SEC team in the first round, but I like most of the potential 8-9 match-ups.

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I would love to go and watch the tournament this year, but the 1st/2nd round sites are the worst.

There isn't a decent flight into any of these except for Salt Lake City and who the fuck wants to go to Salt Lake City in mid-March.
tulsa would be about a 6 hour drive from the greatest place to live on earth

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Which one seed do you want to see iowa matched up with?

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Iowa is going to shock the world with a hard 6
That or a 7 against, say, Oklahoma would be ideal. Then maybe an overseeded Texas Tech in round 2.

One can dream.

J1973s

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Agree for the most part excepy SLC has decent March weather. Went to the regionals there way back when we had the Todd Berkenpas team and lost to Arkansas. Sat by Frank Leyden then the SLC coach and had a nice visit. Also saw Billy Paultz ( the “ whopper”) and Mark Eaton walking outside. Paultz was about chest level to Eaton.

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
CBB is about making the tournament so I don’t give 2 shits how we got here. If we are an 8, I will pray fervently to see Kreiner try to deny Zion W

Reaction score
Which one seed do you want to see iowa matched up with?
My initial thought is UNC just because it would be a fast paced game that isn't super physical and they can struggle with size. But they can run us out of the gym.

Probably Gonzaga even though they're more talented than casual fans think. Just hope we get to that game either way.

Reaction score
This was interesting, to me at least: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/26229238/how-ncaa-tournament-look-committee-abandoned-net

The NET is better than RPI but one of the biggest criticism's is that it's kind of a mashup or resume ranking and predictive ranking. If you want to know who would rank as Vegas favorites in upcoming games, you'd use KenPom, Sagarin or other efficiency metrics which are predictive but don't consider wins and losses. If you want to reward resume's, which it seems is a primary goal, you'd use Strength of Record or Wins Above Bubble.

For what it's worth, strength of record which is on the team sheets has us at 27. So if we're a 7, that probably means they leaned more on the resume rather than efficiency rankings.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
CBB is about making the tournament so I don’t give 2 shits how we got here. If we are an 8, I will pray fervently to see Kreiner try to deny Zion W
Masochist.

Reaction score
My girlfriend got me tickets to the National Championship for Christmas this year. I'm not asking the Hawks to win the title game this year. Just that they play in it. Seems like a reasonable request.

Reaction score
Word on the street Iowa is landing the 6 seed in Hartford, trustworthy reliable source

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Word on the street Iowa is landing the 6 seed in Hartford, trustworthy reliable source
Poster of the decade if you nail this one. You would obviously have best of the best type connections to get this info.

Reaction score
LSU is heavily picked to Hartford as a 3 so a 6 would match up. Why am I doing this?

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
I do not believe that @Matt has any inside info.

Called out.

Bovert

Fat ISU Fan
Reaction score
Very heavy of brow selection show
Does Wally Zer-B-Ack have a wife or girlfriend? If so, how does she let him go out in public looking like that? Holy shit that's awful