**2020-2021 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
The Dad also thinks the jump hook is the hardest shot in basketball so ....

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
There aren't many coaches receiving extensions because their players didn't work hard and sucked.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Fran has had quite a few hits and also some misses. But his hits have been really, really good. Most importantly, he plays to their strengths and puts guys in a system that works for them. He has vastly outperformed recruiting class rankings. It’s pretty similar to Kirk but without the breakthrough seasons once every 5 or so years. This has been one and my guess is we will get more before Frans time is up here. Overall, he’s been an excellent fit for a program like Iowa.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
How much of this does Fran specifically owe to Garza’s once in a generation work ethic?
Here is your original question.

The answer is none. Zero. Fran gets the same extension with or without Luka.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Feels like a big tournament for Wieskamp. Everyone knows Garza and nationally it has overshadowed JW’s fantastic season. Obviously NBA guys are already aware of him, but this will be a big stage for him to show the things he has improved this year

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Feels like a big tournament for Wieskamp. Everyone knows Garza and nationally it has overshadowed JW’s fantastic season. Obviously NBA guys are already aware of him, but this will be a big stage for him to show the things he has improved this year
I was told he wasn't on their radar at all.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
How much additional money would Jordan actually make?

Maybe an Iowa City car dealer would give him $10k to appear in an ad or something like that. IDK.

I do think he (and all NCAA athletes) should be able to benefit from his likeness, but I think he and I would probably differ in opinion on the amount to which he would benefit.

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Maybe an Iowa City car dealer would give him $10k to appear in an ad or something like that. IDK.

I do think he (and all NCAA athletes) should be able to benefit from his likeness, but I think he and I would probably differ in opinion on the amount to which he would benefit.
I don’t think it will be advertising like we normally think about it. I think the online stuff will provide some income. People pay to watch others play video games. I’m not going to pretend to understand it but maybe there is money to be made there.

I think a lot of college athletes will be able to make some ok money running camps in the summers. Go back to your home town and run a basketball camp, soccer camp or whatever it might be. That’s the most likely scenario for most of these kids. Actual business’ are going to be leery counting on 18-22 years not to do something stupid.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I don’t think it will be advertising like we normally think about it. I think the online stuff will provide some income. People pay to watch others play video games. I’m not going to pretend to understand it but maybe there is money to be made there.

I think a lot of college athletes will be able to make some ok money running camps in the summers. Go back to your home town and run a basketball camp, soccer camp or whatever it might be. That’s the most likely scenario for most of these kids. Actual business’ are going to be leery counting on 18-22 years not to do something stupid.
kids like Jordan think that they will make the same amount of money running a camp regardless of the school they play for. what would his likeness be worth if he had gone to Depaul? Zero.

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
kids like Jordan think that they will make the same amount of money running a camp regardless of the school they play for. what would his likeness be worth if he had gone to Depaul? Zero.
I do think he overinflates what he could make, but that's irrelevant to the point. The opportunity to do it shouldn't be illegal according to the NCAA. It's so ridiculous.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Jordan bohannon drives a Kia Sorrento?! I gotta get to my local McGrath dealer for the lowest prices of the season!

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I do think he overinflates what he could make, but that's irrelevant to the point. The opportunity to do it shouldn't be illegal according to the NCAA. It's so ridiculous.
So if it’s the jersey that is actually creating the demand, the players should get to keep it all?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
bohannon does not really bother me though. Like most kids his age he has absolutely no idea what the fuck he is talking about.

Reactions: BBK

demmert4

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
You’re right. The school matters. But that doesn’t mean the player doesn’t have value as well.There’s an easy way to do this. Just go to the Olympic model. If a car dealership wants to pay Jordan 500 bucks to sign autographs for a while who cares?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
If his name is on the jersey? Sure, I didn't say he should keep it all but it's insane that he couldn't get paid for that.
Yes. Proceeds from a #3 jersey with his name on it would have to be split between the school and the player if we are being fair.

Scheels isn’t selling a Jordan bohannon Grand View jersey

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
ok. My point is that Jordan thinks there is this large pool of money that he should be able to tap into when it isn’t the case. Actually he probably doesn’t really think that he just likes to talk about it.
That's what he thinks? Listen I'm not the biggest fan of what he's doing, but how could you posit that is what he thinks?

It seems as though he's trying to push for the ability for players to be able to make money. What pool of money did he mention?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
That's what he thinks? Listen I'm not the biggest fan of what he's doing, but how could you posit that is what he thinks?

It seems as though he's trying to push for the ability for players to be able to make money. What pool of money did he mention?
Well, I cannot read his mind, but the fact that he bitches about not being able to make money on his likeness every single day was my first hint.

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Well, I cannot read his mind, but the fact that he bitches about not being able to make money on his likeness every single day was my first hint.
Huh? The "large pool of money" would just be the world at large. Some would be good at capitalizing on it, some wouldn't.