2020 Football Recruiting

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
when was the last time Iowa had a committed HS All-American WR?

this is some rivers-of-blood-end-of-world-shit,

and i love it.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I should have phrased that differently. You guys are more (or at least you) plugged into the DSM high school football scene.

What is this kid like? He doesn’t strike me and the normal Iowa PWO

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
And by that I mean I’m pretty sure he’s black

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
How do we feel about this @Monster and @nolookpass?

Kids got a good frame and can run a little bit. it also might be a case of the Hawks looking entrench themselves in Southeast Polk as there's a couple sophomores who are going to be D1 players and a freshman who might be a top 50 player in the whole country

hawkeyealum

Reaction score
Why would Monster have an opinion on this?
I just asked because I know his kids do, or use to play high school football in Des Moines area. Wondered if he knew anything about this kid. I've never heard of him.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
From the latest recruiting article from Bain

Iowa will also need to add another punter. Gavin Meyers, a five-star punter out of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, visited Iowa last weekend.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The ranking is likely from one of the kicking camps, which favor kids that spend time with them. So they're skewed, but recruiting kickers/punters overall is such a shit show.

Think about some of the guys Iowa offered scholarships to out of high school - Trent Mossbrucker, Mick Ellis, Jonny Mullings, Connor Kornbrath. All were pretty awful. They hit on Schlichter, Kaeding, and Ryan Donahue. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but it seems they've had much more success taking several walkons and developing them.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
The ranking is likely from one of the kicking camps, which favor kids that spend time with them. So they're skewed, but recruiting kickers/punters overall is such a shit show.

Think about some of the guys Iowa offered scholarships to out of high school - Trent Mossbrucker, Mick Ellis, Jonny Mullings, Connor Kornbrath. All were pretty awful. They hit on Schlichter, Kaeding, and Ryan Donahue. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but it seems they've had much more success taking several walkons and developing them.
Right. From what I understand a lot of people feel like kids who spend more money at this specific camp are given higher rankings than they deserve.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
OL from Southeast Polk who has verbal to a directional Illinois school is still getting recruited by the Hawks and may get a late offer

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score

Bingo:
https://kohlskicking.com/player-profiles/gavin-meyers

Bob

Reaction score

I genuinely do not understand why anyone would bother offering a scholarship to a kicker out of high school, it seems like a total crapshoot. Bama has recruited a bunch of number 1 ranked kickers and it seems like their place kicking game is always a shitshow.

Even if the NFL, most of the highly drafted kickers have been trash, while the best kicker of all time is an undrafted guy from South Dakota State who started in NFL Europe. No one knows what they're doing.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score

Bingo:
https://kohlskicking.com/player-profiles/gavin-meyers
Kohl is a douche.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

I genuinely do not understand why anyone would bother offering a scholarship to a kicker out of high school, it seems like a total crapshoot. Bama has recruited a bunch of number 1 ranked kickers and it seems like their place kicking game is always a shitshow.

Even if the NFL, most of the highly drafted kickers have been trash, while the best kicker of all time is an undrafted guy from South Dakota State who started in NFL Europe. No one knows what they're doing.
Harbaugh spent the night at Nordins house and he’s only used for kicks around 50 yards.

Iowa’s has success picking up grad transfer punters, just keep going that route until some walk-on figures it out.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Is he slated for another position? Or did we just recruit another white WR?

Reaction score
Unless he can play safety, young Mr. Johnson made this decision 3-4 years too late.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
What a dipshit. He thinks there are 18 months in a year.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
So do the hawks have a chance here or is he pedo bound?

I believe he has postponed his decision. I know a few months ago, Iowa was seen as the 1B to Penn State’s 1A. I have no idea if that is still true.
He is committing on the 18th.
There’s an article on 247 from a couple days ago saying he postponed his decision. I’m not a subscriber though so can’t read it - maybe it was just a clickbait headline.

Reaction score
Yea, per the Rivals Hawkeye site, he's postponed his decision. I didn't really read very closely since I had already moved on from that kid, but it looks like he's taking an official to Michigan? I thought he had already but perhaps not.

Reaction score
Gavin Williams will be a good one from what I saw tonight.