**2021 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Garza, bohannon and likely Wieskamp all gone. Major health concerns for Connor, Fredrick and Nunge. Unprecedented transfer rules.

I think it is obvious to say that next years team will look nothing like this years team did. Shooting and scoring will take a hit, but athleticism and defense should improve.

Here is where things would stand not including any transfers...

Toussaint / Ulis
Fredrick / Perkins
Patrick / Kris Murray / Sandfort
Keegan Murray / Connor
Nunge / Ogundele

Fran is going to have to hit the ground running and pull in at least a couple of impact transfers, especially in the post and a shooter/scorer. I also think now would be the perfect time (should have come a year ago) for Fran to shake up his coaching staff. In person recruiting is going to be huge and they need someone who is competent at teaching defense.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Adding transfers at combo guard and the post seems important.

PG play is always important. I’m most worried about that for this team.

Joe T needs to learn that in most situations a speed between zero and as fast as he can go is optimal. If he cannot do that he’s an off the bench change of pace/energy guy at best.

Perhaps Joe can evolve. Perhaps Ulis can be the guy if Joe cannot. A third option in the form of a transfer combo guard seems wise.

Last edited:

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
another bakari would be a good pickup -- let joe or ahron win the starting job, but have an experienced, stable guy who can give some minutes when joe spazzes out or ahron gets over his head

hopefully joe w gets a lukewarm eval and sees that graduation, then europe, is his future, and comes back

then you add a competent big

no stars are walking through that door -- next year will be one of those 9-9 (or 8-10, 10-8) fran teams. enough talent to not be a disaster, but also not enough to excel.

Reaction score
another bakari would be a good pickup -- let joe or ahron win the starting job, but have an experienced, stable guy who can give some minutes when joe spazzes out or ahron gets over his head

hopefully joe w gets a lukewarm eval and sees that graduation, then europe, is his future, and comes back

then you add a competent big

no stars are walking through that door -- next year will be one of those 9-9 (or 8-10, 10-8) fran teams. enough talent to not be a disaster, but also not enough to excel.
I don’t think Europe will be an option for Weiskamp next season. He has a wedding to plan for.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don’t think Europe will be an option for Weiskamp next season. He has a wedding to plan for.
graduation, then europe, is his future, and comes back

which is to say that he returns for a senior season, graduates, then plays in europe

Reaction score
Kentucky people have been speculating on it for a while. I don’t see it.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
He's a starter at Iowa. Who knows at Kentucky, but you're getting recruited over every year

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I don’t see a ton to be optimistic about. Without significant transfers in, scoring is going to be an issue. And I won’t believe they can play defense until some effort is shown. Add in some health concerns and it has the makings of a disaster, making yesterday’s flame out all the more upsetting.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Dude came to Iowa as a greyshirt over other offers, so unless he blames the training staff for his lingering leg injury, I don't see it.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
bakari was a woof

but a woof is probably what you're going to get

you need a grad transfer woof to spell the spazz and the inexperienced ulis

hawkeye basketball, baby

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Difference making P5 transfers with no connections to Iowa aren't coming. Bakari it is.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
bakari was a woof

but a woof is probably what you're going to get

you need a grad transfer woof to spell the spazz and the inexperienced ulis

hawkeye basketball, baby
How about a transfer to start over both of them? Or is this just like the Tommy Soybean safety and how things have to be?

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Who was that guy who liked to shoot long 2s and transferred to Kansas? He was less likely to transfer than CJ to Kentucky

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Difference making P5 transfers with no connections to Iowa aren't coming. Bakari it is.
Jacobson to Minnesota, AJ Green to Iowa?

Edit: Nvm missed the gopher hire

Last edited:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I think my favorite thing about being an Iowa fan is it feels like Iowa is afraid to take on a proven transfer because they’re scared they’re going to hurt the feelings of a freshman that has potential.

This is the way the game is played now, adapt or die.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Or, proven transfers don't want to come to Iowa.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I think it’s more likely they get all worked up about the academic stuff

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Or, proven transfers don't want to come to Iowa.
The only 2 that Fran has seemed to genuinely want other than Bakari (who was basically a security blanket for Bohannons injury) were Cole Huff that ended up at Creighton and the Notre Dame transfer that ended up and Vanderbilt and is transferring again. For the most part they have filled open scholarships with high school prospects like Dailey.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The only 2 that Fran has seemed to genuinely want other than Bakari (who was basically a security blanket for Bohannons injury) were Cole Huff that ended up at Creighton and the Notre Dame transfer that ended up and Vanderbilt and is transferring again. For the most part they have filled open scholarships with high school prospects like Dailey.
So, who is the weak, slow, moderately skilled yet somehow high potential 18-year-old who signs this spring?

Christian Dailey or Maishe Williams?

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
At this point who fucking knows what the team will look like next year. I’d be less optimistic if Fran hadn’t pulled the Murray brothers out of his ass.

Connor isn’t going to improve but will continue to get significant minutes.

Point Guard is going to be average at best.

Who is going to get Garza’s minutes? It doesn’t appear big Josh is going to be ready.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Connor's primary value was feeding the post to Garza, which he was better at than anyone else on the roster. Unless Nunge is a proficient low post scorer, that skill has far less value next year.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Connor's primary value was feeding the post to Garza, which he was better at than anyone else on the roster. Unless Nunge is a proficient low post scorer, that skill has far less value next year.

CJ probably had 8 of those in the last 3 games.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Since Fran’s first year these are offensive rankings nationally: 39, 58, 5, 30, 25, 43, 19, 15, 5, 2.

We’re gonna have a really good offense.
No doubt the offense will be good. I think Patrick takes a big step forward next year. He played pretty well in the last few games. I also think Nunge is really good as well.

Ulis, CJ, Patrick, Keegan, Nunge