**2021 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Oh, I now see some were appropriately outraged by this yesterday. Good.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Despite iowa being a consistent upper division big ten team and making the tourney 6 of 8 years, people still seem to be questioning Fran’s roster construction.

call me crazy but it seems like some of you guys want iowa to get to “the next level”

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Despite iowa being a consistent upper division big ten team and making the tourney 6 of 8 years, people still seem to be questioning Fran’s roster construction.

call me crazy but it seems like some of you guys want iowa to get to “the next level”
I think there's definitely no room whatsoever between complete and utter fealty to every single thing anyone in any position of authority within the Iowa Athletics Department and questioning or being worried about anything. Great point.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Almost as strong as the "since Fran has been coaching for 30 years everything is fine because once coaches coach 30 years they never have bad teams" point from yesterday.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I think there's definitely no room whatsoever between complete and utter fealty to every single thing anyone in any position of authority within the Iowa Athletics Department and questioning or being worried about anything. Great point.
theres definitely no room between what is actually being discussed and this ridiculously stupid post.

Fran is with these kids every day. He is comfortable with what he has, relative to what’s available in the portal. This isn’t some crazy assertion.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Ash will get the scholly for a year and move on. Fran likes loyalty and stability. He'd also rather get another kid in the '22 class than a transfer. Let's see who gets that ride.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Anyone that is looking at Ash as a “portal pickup” rather than “throwing a bone to a Gray teamer” is fucking stupid.

Jorbo was our portal pickup. Not only that, but he’s a better addition than probably anyone out there. We don’t need 13 good players.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Anyone that is looking at Ash as a “portal pickup” rather than “throwing a bone to a Gray teamer” is fucking stupid.

Jorbo was our portal pickup. Not only that, but he’s a better addition than probably anyone out there. We don’t need 13 good players.
Just 1 good big.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Seems like Fran is good with his post options on the team next year so keeping the scholarship to give to a 2022 kid is the key. Joe T also.

Gushawk

Reaction score
Wade got a lot of faith in Rebecca it seems.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
he hasn’t played against quality competition and I have no idea whether he’s a quality Big Ten level player.
You could say that about any top 5 high school recruit also. But Rebraca at least has some sort of a track record in college. Rebraca played well against conference teams and had solid games against high majors the last couple years - Minnesota, Nebrantska, Gonzaga.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
theres definitely no room between what is actually being discussed and this ridiculously stupid post.

Fran is with these kids every day. He is comfortable with what he has, relative to what’s available in the portal. This isn’t some crazy assertion.
The point is that this is a really stupid response to someone who would like Iowa to sign a better center, for example.

Gushawk

Reaction score
getting another 6’7” + player who isn’t light in the cakes feels like prudent if not essential insurance to me

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
our other option(s) at PG is/are considerably better/more ready, imo
I hope so, but that's more of a guess than an opinion.

As pointed out yesterday, this Ash thing isn't a big deal because Iowa still has a scholarship or two to work with.

I do think the logic of not wanting Iowa to get better because you can only play so many guys is not good.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
yes we saw how little Garza improved from his 2nd year..
Garza's offensive rating by year:

Year - Rating - Usage
2018 - 122.3 - 23.9%
2019 - 117.0 - 24.3%
2020 - 117.0 - 31.2%
2021 - 123.9 - 30.4%

What was more impressive was that he maintained his efficiency while increasing his utilization so substantially.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I think JT is ready to be the guy. Probably a little more erratic than you’d want your PG to be but that can be minimized SOME with experience and PG is probably the position where experience matters the most.

Reports are the Ulis is the real deal and will turn heads next year.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
So now we need a Center? Iowa Fan! and there are plenty of them here were drooling over the smaller, quicker teams during the tournament. “Why can’t we be more like them?” It seems like the 2021-2022 roster is leaning more that direction yet now it’s a bad thing?