***2021 NCAA Tournament Thread***

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
You're forgetting Ohio State in the worse than category, although it's not a huge gap. The gap between Maryland and Iowa (if you're talking recent success and not forward looking) is bigger than you're giving it credit for.
listen, it’s fucking hard to remember all the schools, ok?

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
While meh isn't well defined, I feel like being better than nearly half of the conference, is a good working definition. Particularly coupled with long Sweet 16 and a conference title droughts.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
While meh isn't well defined, I feel like being better than nearly half of the conference, is a good working definition. Particularly coupled with long Sweet 16 and a conference title droughts.
Yep that's about right.

While overall I would say we are in a better spot than say, Indiana, their ups have been better than ours. They have a Big Ten title (maybe 2) and 3 Sweet 16's in the last decade. Obviously, they have fallen a bit lately. Similar thing with Maryland. They have been solid but have a Big Ten title and 1 Sweet 16.

Reaction score
I get the feeling that more than a few people here think that Oral Roberts and Oregon State must have better programs and coaches than Iowa.
No but I still wonder why Fran can't land a PG like Abmas but Oral Roberts can.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
no arguing that Wisconsin has had the better decade, but I could argue that iowa is set up better for the future.

Maryland and Wisconsin both seem a bit like iowa where a vocal chunk of their fans hate their coach.
Wisconsin fans should stfu and remember where they came from (Steve Yoder).

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
No but I still wonder why Fran can't land a PG like Abmas but Oral Roberts can.
Because he wasn't like that when he was being recruited. He turned into that.

Fran should be able to land decent ones though.

Reaction score
That's not fair. It's easy to know an under recruited guy after he blows up.
I realize that. It's just frustrating to see these good PG's at these small schools while watching the likes of Gesell and bohannon at Iowa.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I realize that. It's just frustrating to see these good PG's at these small schools while watching the likes of Gesell and bohannon at Iowa.
I get it, but that is just a smaller school thing. There is a glut of guards that either are undersized or late bloomers that get overlooked and they develop like crazy their first couple years and end up being better than a whole lot of power 5 guards.

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Reaction score
I get it, but that is just a smaller school thing. There is a glut of guards that either are undersized or late bloomers that get overlooked and they develop like crazy their first couple years and end up being better than a whole lot of power 5 guards.
And they're playing other low mid-major teams who don't have the athleticism or length to defend the perimeter consistently.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
and there's a survivorship bias here. You know about Abrams because he did develop and his team advanced in the NCAAs.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
There are 250 small schools and there is a great guard play at like 5 different ones every year. The impressive thing is what loyola has done, but that coach is obviously good.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Mike Smith at Michigan has been awesome this year. He was also the starting point guard on a Columbia University team that lost something like their last 13 games last year. Sometimes guys just get put in the perfect situation and flourish. Sometimes teams just put it together at the right time and play above their skill level.

Herbie2

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
There are 250 small schools and there is a great guard play at like 5 different ones every year. The impressive thing is what loyola has done, but that coach is obviously good.
He has a weird resume....17 years as a head coach....only 4 times has he finished 4th or better in his conference...and all of those were in the last 4 years.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He has a weird resume....17 years as a head coach....only 4 times has he finished 4th or better in his conference...and all of those were in the last 4 years.
I remember when he was at IL State. They were terrible.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I think his time as an assistant for Majerus may have greatly benefited him.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
He definitely looked wobbly there for a bit.

thrawn

Reaction score
USC has looked awesome this tournament, and yet Gonzaga is just ripping them apart.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Sorry, but you don’t have to be at the top of the conference to be considered a good program when there are some elite brands ahead of you.

Reaction score
These elite eight games...woof

Hopefully Michigan/UCLA makes up for it

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
I want our whites to look and play like Jaime Jaquez.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
I do not like Dickinson. I am not looking forward to going against him next year either.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
This is the worst elite 8 game in history

Reaction score
Throwing a fit at the refs for a foul when the shooter wasn’t even touched lol

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
The “charge” calls in this game have been pathetic. Don’t get to your spot but lean into the guy and fall down? Charge! There is a 6’9 255 pound dude for UCLA that has gone down like a sniper hit him 5 times.
It’s the worst thing about college basketball. Defensive players are allowed to be physical, but also get rewarded nearly every time for flopping at the slightest hint of contact.