***2021 NCAAM Coaching Changes***

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Reaction score
It absolutely blows my mind. How the fuck can you not have everything but the signature on paper?

They have to be so arrogant they thought they would buy out Archie and coaches would be lining up for them.

For fuck's sake, just hire Alford already and get it over with.
They're the Nebrantska of CBB. Hoosier fans think recruits are still clamoring for the Coach Knight days of yore.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
They're the Nebrantska of CBB. Hoosier fans think recruits are still clamoring for the Coach Knight days of yore.
It really is the best comparison. Bobby Knight hasn't coached there in 21 years, so any kid they are recruiting was like 5 years from being born the last time he was there. Shit, their parents might have been children the last time Knight had been to a Sweet 16 in 1994.

Crean got them to a few Sweet 16's and a high ranking, but other than a couple seasons Indiana has been mediocre since the early 90's.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Indiana has a lot more reason to be good than Nebrantska football though. That poll of conference coaches ranked it the best job in the league.
Of course because their home state recruiting base is 100x greater than what Nebrantska football has. The problem is they haven’t had a coach that can keep those guys in state in awhile. Davis got them to the championship game and fans still wanted him gone.

Even with that, their roster was loaded with 4 and 5 star players the last couple years and they were still mediocre. If they’re moving on to candidates outside their top 5 wish list then they’ll likely be looking for another coach in 3 years.

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Reaction score
Of course because their home state recruiting base is 100x greater than what Nebrantska football has. The problem is they haven’t had a coach that can keep those guys in state in awhile. Davis got them to the championship game and fans still wanted him gone.

Even with that, their roster was loaded with 4 and 5 star players the last couple years and they were still mediocre. If they’re moving on to candidates outside their top 5 wish list then they’ll likely be looking for another coach in 3 years.
There's a very good reason they wanted Davis gone.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
There's a very good reason they wanted Davis gone.
LOL no shit. Indiana could’ve won ten titles with him and a large portion of their fanbase would still have wanted him fired. Something about him....

ivan_drago

Reaction score
That said, Indiana isn’t anything like Nebrantska IMO. They’ve been pretty successful recently in comparison. They fired Crean for winning two big ten titles!

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Curious, @eclone and maybe it's been talked about. Would you have rather gotten this guy? He's been on a lot of lists, has won 75 games the last three years, including 42-13 in the Mountain West. Buyout was actually less than $1 million. From the Midwest (Minnesota). Seems like he would have been a good fit for you guys.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He's had a very mediocre career at South Carolina with the exception of that Final Four run. Why did he leave K-State again?
Because his in-practice demeanor suggested that he thought Bobby Knight was a limp-wristed daisy, and everyone in Manhattan was tired of the act.

The final four run saved his job at South Carolina, but kids -- apparently -- don't wish to put up with him, so the best in-state talent goes elsewhere.

There's a lot of talent in the state, but even at the HS level, basketball is seen as a distant second to FB, so it's just not an emphasis. Between the in-state kids and the semi-sketchy diploma mills in a couple of cities, the right coach could do pretty well. But why try to fight football?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would love to be in the position to call a coach mediocre outside of a final four run.
Yeah that sounds dumb but he’s pretty much right. That’s the only tournament he’s made in 9 years there. They made the Final Four as a 7 seed.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Curious, @eclone and maybe it's been talked about. Would you have rather gotten this guy? He's been on a lot of lists, has won 75 games the last three years, including 42-13 in the Mountain West. Buyout was actually less than $1 million. From the Midwest (Minnesota). Seems like he would have been a good fit for you guys.
2 comments.
1. I did get him—Utah is my other alma matter
2. For all of the reasons you listed, he was my preferred option after Otz. Otz was clearly pollard’s #1 option. And I’m honestly good with that. I think he’s a good coach and a great recruiter. I have no problem giving him his first major college job to see if he has he chops at this level. But if that wouldn’t have worked out, I hope Smith was the next in line.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
2 comments.
1. I did get him—Utah is my other alma matter
2. For all of the reasons you listed, he was my preferred option after Otz. Otz was clearly pollard’s #1 option. And I’m honestly good with that. I think he’s a good coach and a great recruiter. I have no problem giving him his first major college job to see if he has he chops at this level. But if that wouldn’t have worked out, I hope Smith was the next in line.
Are you a weatherman? how many wives do you have?

JD720

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Jeez. He probably doesn’t even remember his playing career at Indiana.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
What a shitty hire. IU fans were convinced they would end up with Brad Stevens. Instead, they get a 62 year-old with zero college coaching experience that went below .500 as an NBA head coach.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
They definitely won’t have issues.

Reaction score
Not a good hire but if they use the resources to have Thad do some big picture stuff and hire a good staff it could work.

thrawn

Reaction score
It really is the best comparison. Bobby Knight hasn't coached there in 21 years, so any kid they are recruiting was like 5 years from being born the last time he was there. Shit, their parents might have been children the last time Knight had been to a Sweet 16 in 1994.

Crean got them to a few Sweet 16's and a high ranking, but other than a couple seasons Indiana has been mediocre since the early 90's.
Isn’t Michigan football the better comparison? They haven’t been bad generally speaking but haven’t hit their old peak in forever. It’s still a good job with good resources but changes over time have made it more like a top 15 job than a top 5 one.

Reaction score
Isn’t Michigan football the better comparison? They haven’t been bad generally speaking but haven’t hit their old peak in forever. It’s still a good job with good resources but changes over time have made it more like a top 15 job than a top 5 one.
Agreed

Reaction score
But seriously, what exactly is Mattas job going to entail?
I’m guessing he’ll be a connection point for him with AAU programs and high school coaches. Help without breakdowns and film stuff on the league. Probably avoid travel, hands on recruiting, banquets, crazy hours, real stress/responsibility but still scratch the coaching itch and get paid well.