***2021 NCAAM Coaching Changes***

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
That is arguably the top job in college basketball. Going to be interesting to see who gets it.

Duke and Syracuse should be open soon as well.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Mark Few? (probably too old to make this move)

Jay Wright? (probably too old to make this move)

Tony Bennett?

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Williams was 53 when he went to UNC, Few is already 58. Might be too late for him.

thrawn

Reaction score
Is UNC hiring from UVA, a conference rival and academic peer, something that is frowned upon?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Mark Few? (probably too old to make this move)

Jay Wright? (probably too old to make this move)

Tony Bennett?
Jay Wright is 59 and in great shape, so they could get a good 10 years out of him at least.

Reactions: BBK

thrawn

Reaction score
Hubert Davis has been there as an assistant for a while and UNC sort of seems goofy with the Carolina guy stuff, so I could see him, otherwise I would guess maybe Oats at Alabama.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The other factor playing into this is that a lot of high level coaches that would usually be candidates for a job like this are all in trouble with the NCAA of FBI.

Bill Self, Sean Miller, etc....

douglasbader

Reaction score
Hubert Davis has been there as an assistant for a while and UNC sort of seems goofy with the Carolina guy stuff, so I could see him, otherwise I would guess maybe Oats at Alabama.
I can't imagine them not choosing a guy within the family. They shouldn't if someone like Jay Wright would take it, but that University is as in the family as it gets.

They also can't do anything without talking to Mike and others first.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
I can't imagine them not choosing a guy within the family. They shouldn't if someone like Jay Wright would take it, but that University is as in the family as it gets.

They also can't do anything without talking to Mike and others first.
The UNC family thing is stupid. It is how they end up with people like Bill Guthridge and Matt Doherty.

They can pretty much get anyone they want. Why limit yourself to people who played at UNC or were/are assistants there?

douglasbader

Reaction score
The UNC family thing is stupid. It is how they end up with people like Bill Guthridge and Matt Doherty.

They can pretty much get anyone they want. Why limit yourself to people who played at UNC or were/are assistants there?
I agree, especially when their coaching tree isn't exactly great. It used to be, but all of the great UNC guys are dead or retired.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If Fran left Iowa, Oats would be at the top of my personal lift for guys Barta should throw a Brinks truck at.
Speaking of, there is another good point on Iowa expectations. Fran's salary is a bargain and Oats already makes like $1m than him next season.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Speaking of, there is another good point on Iowa expectations. Fran's salary is a bargain and Oats already makes like $1m than him next season.
Correct. Ferentz too - he was highly paid for a while, but the market has outpaced him in recent years. Iowa fans seem to think our coaches are paid way more than they actually are.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Correct. Ferentz too - he was highly paid for a while, but the market has outpaced him in recent years. Iowa fans seem to think our coaches are paid way more than they actually are.
But my hard earned tax dollars!!!

thrawn

Reaction score
It’s kind of like how the best way to get a big raise is to get a new job. The new hire salaries tend to outpace extensions and new contracts for guys whose original base was 10+ years ago before the TV $ became really stupid.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Is their a former player that would be a legit candidate like Michigan did?

thrawn

Reaction score
Wes Miller at UNCG is another former player I’ve seen, although that’s a jump.

Stackhouse’s record at Vandy is probably too poor.

WestMifflin

Traitorous Wisconsinite
Reaction score
Hubert and Wes Miller at UNCG are the candidates within the family.
Yeah that was my first thought, but I doubt UNC is ready to hire him. I can't see Bennett leaving UVA. His family is pretty content and he can win.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Coaches in their 50's aren't too old to hire. Top coaches in NCAA basketball usually stick around into their early 70's. Guys like Olson, Boeheim, Coach K, Williams, Pitino (soon) etc. Hiring any top coach in their 50's will get you at least a decade of good results.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Jay Wright is perfect for Villanova and he mostly recruits regionally. He was also getting paid $2 million more than Williams.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
With things going south in Boston, I wonder if this doesn't represent a great opportunity for Brad Stevens to get back into the college game. Clearly, he would only come back to college hoops for a job like this.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I don’t see Few leaving. I think he’s a huge outdoors guy I loves the PNW