**2022 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Trace Jackson Davis returning to Indiana for his senior year. I'm sure it's to finish his degree and not bcuz he was promised a fat wallet.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
He’s getting a 6 figure payment to be the most recognizable player on a college campus where basketball is king while taking next to 0 classes. Oh and his game doesn’t really translate to the next level. Why would he not return?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
He’s getting a 6 figure payment to be the most recognizable player on a college campus where basketball is king while taking next to 0 classes. Oh and his game doesn’t really translate to the next level. Why would he not return?
His most likely option to play pro basketball next year was a 2 way contract. He'll easily make more than that now.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
He is also the perfect application of NIL. I know all of the recruiting and transfer shit is dumb, but he is a proven player who has invested time with the school. This doesn’t bother me at all.

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Oh yeah im all for it. We are between eras it feels like. 10 years ago the options for a TJD type player was either be a premier amateur and make no money, make shit money in the g league, or make somewhat ok money Europe. You will see more 4/5 year players now for sure.
Guys like Aaron white, marble, gatens, woody and gesell would have made $100k a year at least in this environment.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Oh yeah im all for it. We are between eras it feels like. 10 years ago the options for a TJD type player was either be a premier amateur and make no money, make shit money in the g league, or make somewhat ok money Europe. You will see more 4/5 year players now for sure.
Guys like Aaron white, marble, gatens, woody and gesell would have made $100k a year at least in this environment.
Those guys all played 4 years anyway, though. The ones it might make a difference on are the Tyler Cooks and Joe Wieskamps.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I HAVE NO IDEA IF MATT GATENS IS A GOOD ASSISTANT BASKETBALL COACH. Thank you.
I don’t either and I think it’s silly for people to get mad.

I do, however, have a general belief that when considering the applicant pool for a coaching position at the University of Iowa, the odds that a beloved former player happens to be the most qualified candidate are likely low.

But also whatever, he’s just an assistant. And Fran has shown over the years that it’s not like he’s going to use an assistant position on a bag man. So my level of caring is low.

MisterFalcon

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I also have no idea whether or not he'll make a good coach. But much like on the football side of things, the question becomes, are they seeking the best coach or the most malleable option.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I also have no idea whether or not he'll make a good coach. But much like on the football side of things, the question becomes, are they seeking the best coach or the most malleable option.
It’s never been a true “application” process and it’s not an iowa thing. HC’s hire assistants 99% of the time based on a recommendation. They all have their own networks and subnetworks. If they worked with a guy 10 years ago, or a player played for a guy that worked with a guy type of thing.

It’s never been about hiring the best person available.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
It’s never been a true “application” process and it’s not an iowa thing. HC’s hire assistants 99% of the time based on a recommendation. They all have their own networks and subnetworks. If they worked with a guy 10 years ago, or a player played for a guy that worked with a guy type of thing.

It’s never been about hiring the best person available.
Thanks for the inside scoop Az.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I don’t either and I think it’s silly for people to get mad.

I do, however, have a general belief that when considering the applicant pool for a coaching position at the University of Iowa, the odds that a beloved former player happens to be the most qualified candidate are likely low.

But also whatever, he’s just an assistant. And Fran has shown over the years that it’s not like he’s going to use an assistant position on a bag man or someone that coaches defense. So my level of caring is low.
Fixed.

J1973s

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
When does Kris Murray have to make a decision re the draft?

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
They are set. Had their end of the year "reviews" with the players and suggest that Ogundele transfer.

Went after multiple big men in the portal. Got close on the Louisiana kid, but Ole' Miss bought him by paying him and hiring his coach. Fran then went to Ogundele and told him to come back. He came back.

The only thing left is Kris coming back, which is virtually guaranteed now.

Bowen / Ulis
Perkins / Dix / Kingsbury / Nimmers
Patrick / Sandfart / Laketa
Kris / Connor
Rebecca / Ogundele / Mulvey

Going to be like a #8 in the Big Ten and bubble team most likely. Can go to the top half and solid #7 seed if Kris is really good and Bowen is a game changer.
Mulvey will jump Josh.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Saucy
Sandfart
Pat
Kris
Rebecca

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
For those who think Bowen starts, who do you pull?

Sandfart? He might end up being our best player on offense next year. Pat isn't going to happen. Do you decide to go small and go with Kris at the 5 and no Rebecca?

douglasbader

Reaction score
For those who think Bowen starts, who do you pull?

Sandfart? He might end up being our best player on offense next year. Pat isn't going to happen. Do you decide to go small and go with Kris at the 5 and no Rebecca?
Sandfart isn't likely to start either way is my guess. The only way that happens is if Tony Perkins is the PG.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Sandfart isn't likely to start either way is my guess. The only way that happens is if Tony Perkins is the PG.
That sucks tho. Man that dude has a lot of potential.

Obviously in a perfect world if Bowen is really good, it's Pat who sits. But that just isn't going to happen unfortunately

douglasbader

Reaction score
That sucks tho. Man that dude has a lot of potential.

Obviously in a perfect world if Bowen is really good, it's Pat who sits. But that just isn't going to happen unfortunately
Fran would need to do the following to make Sandfart a starter....

Perkins
Sandfart
Pat
Kris
Rebecca

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Fran would need to do the following to make Sandfart a starter....

Perkins
Sandfart
Pat
Kris
Rebecca
That's my suggested lineup above.

It's what I want if Bowen isn't ready.

It's also our best 5 returning players from an advanced stats standpoint

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I also think Ulis just had a down year last year and will be way better.

But I'm not sure how that translates to more minutes unless he's way ahead of Bowen or Connor is broke again for much of the season

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
I'd be concerned about Murray being in foul trouble at the 5. He already fouls too much.

B19Rob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Are we totally sure Fran doesn't start Connor? He's started 67 games in his career