***2024-2025 Iowa Men’s Basketball Season Thread***

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,133
Reaction score
1,553
You also give an opportunity to current players to leave without meeting the new coach. In the off-season you might have a shot at bringing some of them back but mid season, you'd lose them all. Similar to the guy Iowa just got from Miami
good.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,133
Reaction score
1,553
I agree. But we all know there is zero chance Fran is not finishing the season
I would argue that he’s already quit. It reminds me of my last corporate gig where I was so frustrated by the decision making that I basically asked them to fire me.
 

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Joined
Feb 14, 2010
Messages
16,726
Reaction score
9,148
You also give an opportunity to current players to leave without meeting the new coach. In the off-season you might have a shot at bringing some of them back but mid season, you'd lose them all. Similar to the guy Iowa just got from Miami
That’s even better. Let the new guy fill out the roster
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,644
Reaction score
-14,440
I think maybe people are just maybe talking abt level of caring.
Yep, I’m not comparing the team to a Criminal team but I have season tix and it is hard for me to even get excited to watch a game on tv let alone drive to and from the games. I cannot even give the tickets away for the most part, either. I have season tix to women’s, as well, and someone always wants those. Better seats in section A at the men’s games and no interest.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,133
Reaction score
1,553
We are obviously a much better team than the lick years, but the level of apathy and general lack of hope is certainly approaching it
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,600
Reaction score
4,432
There is no one currently on our roster that we 100 percent can't afford to lose.
Which is entirely different than wanting the next coach to have the opportunity to speak to the current players.

You don't make coaching decisions based on a player or recruit. But that doesn't mean bringing Dix back wouldn't be beneficial.
 

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
49,588
Reaction score
35,017
You don't make coaching decisions based on a player or recruit. But that doesn't mean bringing Dix back wouldn't be beneficial.
I don't disagree. I definitely want Dix and Freeman back next year. But the problems and solutions are much larger than if they return or not.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
Dillard may have the best job on the planet. He’s never done shit. One of Fran’s many fuckups is the complacency he’s had with his assistants.
What’s this tremendous mess bring to the table? I certainly hate looking at him, especially during blowout losses when I tend to transfix on him as an avatar of all that is wrong with Iowa basketball.


IMG_1106.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,600
Reaction score
4,432
Harding yes. I don’t hate Pryce…yet. Freeman is the disappointing one of the whole bunch.
I don't hate Pryce or Harding. Harding is just too small and Pryce is too weak.

Typically, when Freeman is standing in the paint with his thumbs up his ass watching the other team grab multiple offensive rebounds, Pryce will fly in and try to grab the rebound. It usually results in a foul or him getting out-muscled, but I have no problem with the effort.

I'm just tired of watching Iowa trot out guys incapable of competing from a physical standpoint.
 

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
49,588
Reaction score
35,017
Fortunately they're also woefully undercoached on what to do on defense as well
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
The S&C program must be an absolute joke.

it is not hard to put significant muscle on an 18-22 year old male with any sort of decent diet and weight lifting regimen

yet we have guys like fart senior who might be slimmer/leaner than when he got here but not stronger in any way that moves the needle for him
 

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
49,588
Reaction score
35,017
The S&C program must be an absolute joke.

it is not hard to put significant muscle on an 18-22 year old male with any sort of decent diet and weight lifting regimen

yet we have guys like fart senior who might be slimmer/leaner than when he got here but not stronger in any way that moves the needle for him
That's on fran, yes?
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,014
Reaction score
10,777
Dix and Freeman are the only players you would even remotely care about losing. It’s also possible the new coach brings in guys that are just as good as them.

The non competitive games are just inexcusable at this point. Purdue has held Oregon without a point for 7 minutes yet Oregon is only down 6. If Iowa was held without a point for 7 minutes they would completely quit. That’s all coaching. Purdue has 4 white guys in the floor and that doesn’t seem to hurt them in defense.

He’s been bad but start Traore and move Harding to the bench. Traore at the top of the 3/4 court press is the only way that press works. Would give you more athleticism to for rebounding. Thelwell, Dix, Payton, Traore, Freeman. Bench of Harding, Pryce and Mulvey. Encourage Ladji to portal down a level.

Then completely reset the program. Who cares if you lose any recruits. It’s just time.
 

BillyBob

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Feb 25, 2018
Messages
5,335
Reaction score
3,962
What’s this tremendous mess bring to the table? I certainly hate looking at him, especially during blowout losses when I tend to transfix on him as an avatar of all that is wrong with Iowa basketball.


View attachment 59699
I’m paraphrasing, but someone here said something like “I’m afraid Al Siebert may legitimately just be the video coordinator”

it’s clever, and sums up the Fran era
 

Herbie2

knows things he probably shouldn’t know
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
7,101
Reaction score
4,422
I’m paraphrasing, but someone here said something like “I’m afraid Al Siebert may legitimately just be the video coordinator”

it’s clever, and sums up the Fran era
 

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
11,237
Reaction score
8,048
That comeback vs Indiana was probably in my top 3 favorite CHA moments . That, the win vs Kansas, and beating Larry Eustachy’s (or whatever) ISU team when he proclaimed “I hate this place” in the postgame.

All three during the Alford Era. I know he sucks, but he did have some great moments
Not CHA obviously, but Alford beating UConn in his first game really seemed like great things were coming. Instead….decades of dogshit.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,847
Swarm Brad thinks DeVries would jump at the Iowa job if it opened this year. I’m not seeing that unless he really hates living in Morgantown.
Of course he would take it. He'd get the same or better money and be close to home as his dream job. I hope Fran leaves and Iowa gets him.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
Beth seems to realize the support for MBB is unacceptable and something needs to be done. At least that’s what I gleaned from her taped interview with Leistekow
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,866
Reaction score
3,109
Beth seems to realize the support for MBB is unacceptable and something needs to be done. At least that’s what I gleaned from her taped interview with Leistekow
Link please.
 

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
46,026
Reaction score
43,246
Would Fran accept being forced to hire a new assistant or two like Kirk was with the offensive coordinator? I don’t care either way I’m just curious
 

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
49,588
Reaction score
35,017
Anything about remodeling carver? They've been dragging their feet on that.
 
Top