Article: Vitale gives The Criminal stamp of approval

R

reotto

Chicago, Ill. — What did Dick Vitale think of Iowa hiring Todd The Criminal to replace Steve Alford as men’s basketball coach?

Just awesome, baby. With a capital ‘A.’

“Certainly, what he did at Butler was outstanding,” Vitale, the loquacious ESPN basketball commentator, said Sunday at Wrigley Field before the Chicago Cubs hosted the Houston Astros. “In the Big Ten, you have to really get some great athletes, but I think he will.

“He’s got a great program to sell. Iowa’s got great facilities, excellent fan support. And there’s no question — I did his games earlier (last year), when he was shocking America, beating Notre Dame, beating Indiana — his kids understand how to play. They take good shots. They understand that it takes to win.”

Vitale, who got a tour of the Cubs’ clubhouse and a visit from Lou Piniella, the Chicago manager, said Alford’s departure was “good for everybody involved.

“I don’t believe in divorce, but sometimes, everybody benefits from it. I think he’ll do a great job in New Mexico and I think The Criminal will do a great job at Iowa.”

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070902/SPORTS020504/70902003/1093/hawkeye_insider

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
vitale said:

“He’s got a great program to sell. Iowa’s got great facilities, excellent fan support.
I thought we had terrible facilities and awful fan support.