Former players thread

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
He is a nice kid, but he is a one trick pony on offense, lazy and dumb defensively and turns the ball over at a huge rate. Not a good passer or shot blocker either.

Also, this is a really bad sign for him overall. That is 2 teams that got a good look at him and gave up on him very quickly. I think much like Woodbury he fits in the NBA circa 1995 but in 2019 when you have to be a 3 and D guy at a minimum, a guy that isn't great on defense and can't shoot outside of 5 feet is a dinosaur

This is sad, but I think Nicholas Baer might have as good or better of a shot long term at making an NBA roster.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I get why they didn’t understand it, but the Iowa media saying things like ‘his gamble paid off’ a couple days ago shows how worthless they are.
It is fucking infuriating. They don't even do a second of background work to figure out the logistics of what is happening and all rush to gloat and congratulate him.

You could tell Cook likely knew what was going on as he didn't tweet out anything or say anything to people congratulating him.

My stupid ass was able to figure out in 5 seconds that this likely was a bad sign for him, but not a single one of them could figure it out.

thrawn

Reaction score
I get why they didn’t understand it, but the Iowa media saying things like ‘his gamble paid off’ a couple days ago shows how worthless they are.
Iowa media on Megan Gustafson’s WNBA career is still the peak for “these guys have no perspective”

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The moment the news broke, followed immediately by learning he only started 6 games in the G League should have been the writing on the wall they needed.

They really have no reason to understand how those contracts work, but even people on here picked up on it almost immediately.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa media on Megan Gustafson’s WNBA career is still the peak for “these guys have no perspective”
The moment the news broke, followed immediately by learning he only started 6 games in the G League should have been the writing on the wall they needed.

They really have no reason to understand how those contracts work, but even people on here picked up on it almost immediately.
It's also hilarious considering there are like 15 of them and this is literally (sorry F&B) all they do and what they fucking get paid to do. They should be experts on sports in general, but instead they don't know shit, have no connections in the program, are oblivious to really simple details and even worse they bitch and moan about their "jobs" all the time.

thrawn

Reaction score

It's also hilarious considering there are like 15 of them and this is literally (sorry F&B) all they do and what they fucking get paid to do. They should be experts on sports in general, but instead they don't know shit, have no connections in the program, are oblivious to really simple details and even worse they bitch and moan about their "jobs" all the time.
yeah I don’t expect them to be experts in NBA roster rules but it takes like 15 minutes of internet searching to figure out how transactions work or what one might mean for a player.

Any of them would probably make a snarky comment about not being an expert or rules nerd but if they can’t figure these things out why should we care about their work? It’s not much different than expecting a politics report to have a general understanding of the caucuses or how the legislature works. Some of these guys make it painfully obvious they don’t know anything about sports outside the state borders.

CamelTones

Reaction score
To be fair to them, Twitter has pretty much forced them to just get news out as fast as possible. They see something and they have to retweet or post it or have people mock them for being last on the beat.

But, not researching it after the fact and then posting the implications of the roster move later that day is just lazy. There isn’t enough Iowa sports news at the moment that.

douglasbader

Reaction score
They gave him $50k before they cut him as well. It was the most they could give him and keep him eligible for the G-League team.

My guess is he will sign this initial 10 day and then end up going back to their G-League team full time (unless he gets another 10 day or is re-signed to a regular non-guaranteed contract).

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I don't know, wondering about a potential RIFT with Fran and Jok because they didn't understand how the NBA draft evaluation process had changed has got to be in contention.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Weird sort of situation for Aaron White this season. He was supposedly close to signing with Washington and playing in the NBA this summer but passed that up to sign with Olympia Milano in Italy.

Noticed that he was barely playing and averaging 2 points per game after having a nice career with Zalgaris. Then noticed in the game notes for Wisconsin that Iowa Basketball listed him as playing in Spain.

Seems that he and Olympia Milano mutually guaranteed to terminate his contract and he signed with a new team in Spain. The reason he supposedly wasn't playing is because his weight dropped and he had no lift or energy due to becoming a vegan this past summer and looks like a shell of himself. The poorly translated article seemed to put the blame on his wife for it.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Here's when he announced he was moving to a new team:

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
People can obviously do as they choose, but White with all the tatts as the dorkiest looking guy this side of Nick Baer never seemed right to me.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
If I looked as dorky as him, I’d try to hide it as well.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
He’s just trying to add some pigment

douglasbader

Reaction score
Cook won't be back in the NBA unless they give him a full year contract.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'm surprised that Uthoff hasn't gotten a 10 day yet. He is a 20 and 10 guy and should get a shot.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Weird sort of situation for Aaron White this season. He was supposedly close to signing with Washington and playing in the NBA this summer but passed that up to sign with Olympia Milano in Italy.

Noticed that he was barely playing and averaging 2 points per game after having a nice career with Zalgaris. Then noticed in the game notes for Wisconsin that Iowa Basketball listed him as playing in Spain.

Seems that he and Olympia Milano mutually guaranteed to terminate his contract and he signed with a new team in Spain. The reason he supposedly wasn't playing is because his weight dropped and he had no lift or energy due to becoming a vegan this past summer and looks like a shell of himself. The poorly translated article seemed to put the blame on his wife for it.
It’s one play, but him not dunking this is surprising.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Looking at some of the hamlets which comprise some of the 29! G-League teams, I am surprised we haven't seen a Barry Sumpter/Crazy George QC Thunder comeback.

I mean, what could Matt Fish possibly be doing these days?

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Anyone know what Brody Boyd is up to by chance?

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I think he runs some basketball training thing/coaches middle school AAU basketball.
Yeah, I was hoping one of you *INSIDERS* would post the story from TOS lounge. A poster claims he prepaid $500 for workouts with Boyd for his son - his wife drives the kid there, puts the kid through a workout and then starts texting the mom saying he wants to go get drinks and wind down with her at 11 am.

I’m skeptical, mostly because she doesn’t sound like she’s in high school.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Damn, you pay him $500 and he’ll put your kid through a basketball workout followed by fucking your wife?

Reaction score
Looks a lot better than paying thousands and having the coach fuck your son.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Someone posted an Indy Star article about his coaching stuff a year or two ago. He basically sounded like a huge Uncle Rico.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Yeah, I was hoping one of you *INSIDERS* would post the story from TOS lounge. A poster claims he prepaid $500 for workouts with Boyd for his son - his wife drives the kid there, puts the kid through a workout and then starts texting the mom saying he wants to go get drinks and wind down with her at 11 am.

I’m skeptical, mostly because she doesn’t sound like she’s in high school.
Iowa Courts Online. He’s got quite the list.

Reaction score
Uthoff gets a 10 day...

He fits:

Jarrod Uthoff
Ja Morant
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Josh Jackson
Justise Winslow
Jonas Valanciunus
Jones, Tyus
John Konchar
Jorgui Dieng