Former players thread

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
he posted something about Juwan Howard and that he didnt watch college hoops then some guy asked why he didnt watch Iowa. I dont think hes looking for attention.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
he posted something about Juwan Howard and that he didnt watch college hoops then some guy asked why he didnt watch Iowa. I dont think hes looking for attention.
You don’t think he stated it that way to get someone to ask why he doesn’t watch college basketball?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
He didn’t have to answer that way. He knows what he’s doing.
And Iowa didnt have to handle it the way they did. I can understand not honoring Roy Sr. But then dont claim you arent retiring jerseys anymore.

Gary "Clumsy" Barta

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
The only mistake Barta made regarding Roy was having the half assed ceremony at all.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I’m sure Barta figured he’d be long gone before Iowa had a player even worth considering for number retirement. Probably tried to worm out of it, but Fran told him go get his fucking shinebox.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Fran may choke a fool out if someone asks him about this at his next PC

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Bring more house out of retirement

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
hopefully Iowa Twitter dorks dont go after Dev and make this worse

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Harty and Howe are going to race to capture this "sensational story" and make sure it runs on Friday or the first day of the tourny.
Yep. And it will only be about feelings and will pose no question as to why the university chose not to retire Roy’s number. Maybe sprinkle in some light racism speculation.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Dev’s a young guy still mourning his dad because an event this weekend evoked emotions in him.

Let him do whatever he wants. Good journalists will just let him be. Unfortunately, we’ve got Pat Harty.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I love how Eicholt, the 25 yr old writer who spends the most time on Twitter, knows better than to get involved in this can of worms while Harty basically has to because this is the only way he gets attention. Just today that goon was saying Drake would get a 15 or 16 seed if they make the tournament. He doesn’t even know basic facts about the sports he pretends to cover.

Last edited:

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I was surprised to see the most recent basketball retirees are Lester and woolridge

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score
I’m sure that this will be a huge distraction for this year’s team and ruin recruiting for years to come and it will all be caused by a tweet from some local yahoo that seventy two old white dudes read.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
since '80

lester
stokes
armstrong
street
garza

character matters. keep your nose clean and stay out of the papers.

(for utes and woolridge, sorry, but transfers don't get retired numbers...should've gone to iowa to begin with, dudes)

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
It sucks that Fran has to answer this shit about Roy. Fran was nothing but great to Roy and was a big reason Roy got back involved with the Hawks. Plus, he loved Dev like a son (as he does basically all of his players).

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
At some point Barta is going to be forced to tell the truth. Roy Marble just wasn't the type of person or player to deserve his number retired.

Last edited:

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
At some point Barta is going to be forced to just tell the truth. Roy Marble just wasn't the type of person or player to deserve his number retired.
It was a no win situation forced by Roy facing death. Retire the number a year after domestic assault and be completely insensitive to the climate of the time. Don’t retire it and face former players and family who feel the all time leading scorer was disrespected. Probably did the right thing other than framing Duez Henderson’s jersey as a keepsake.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Fran pretty much laid this at Barta's feet today. I'm guessing he's fucking pissed about this and might even have been pissed back in 2015 about it.

Now that the media is on record with totally being for honoring Marble, my guess is they retire his jersey or do something similar next year.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Apologize...great! But why would he say he intends to "make things right" unless he will be retiring his jersey/number? That's clearly what Devyn and the family want...but I can't see that happening.
retiring the jersey would be great but I would prefer they bring him back to life.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
At some point Barta is going to be forced to tell the truth. Roy Marble just wasn't the type of person or player to deserve his number retired.
why does anyone think that Barta gives a fuck whether or not his jersey is retired?

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
why does anyone think that Barta gives a fuck whether or not his jersey is retired?
Because now it’s a pain in his ass. It’s not like anyone thinks that when Barta showed up he was like, “I know what I’ll do, not retire Roy marble’s number...” you fucking moron

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Because now it’s a pain in his ass. It’s not like anyone thinks that when Barta showed up he was like, “I know what I’ll do, not retire Roy marble’s number...” you fucking moron
that makes no sense.

ever think that there might be a little pressure from various stakeholders at the school to not celebrate a drunk, woman beating, drug abuser because he was good at sports 30 years ago?

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Not sure the comments about Marble having left Iowa 20 years before Barta arrived mean much. I would guess that often the AD that decides to retire a jersey was not at the university when the player played. Athletics history is absolutely something within the purveyance of the AD.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Not sure the comments about Marble having left Iowa 20 years before Barta arrived mean much. I would guess that often the AD that decides to retire a jersey was not at the university when the player played. Athletics history is absolutely something within the purveyance of the AD.
so why would Barta have any strong opinion on it? Since Barta arrived at iowa, marble has scored zero points and been arrested a dozen times, give or take. Why did neither of the previous AD’s do it?