Former players thread

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’m not sure it matters who the AD would be, this is one situation where they were put in a no win situation.

No one would even talk about this if his son didn’t end up playing here. No matter what Iowa does from this point on it won’t feel right. It’s like Ron Santo finally getting into the HOF after he died.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
As much as I liked watching Devyn and empathize with his perspective it would look pretty weak to try to retire Roy’s number at this point (and his family would see it for the half empty gesture it’d be). Sadly it’s also pretty telling they didn’t do it with Armstrong’s back in 1992 so anyone pulling the race card on Twitter is a fucking moron.

The right answer was to do it right away like they did with Luka. That’s obviously ancient history, so at this point I think all they can do is hope Fran gets Devyn to drop it or just let him go off feeling butthurt. Retiring that number next year would feel pretty hollow and they’d be basically forced to retire several others with it.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
He’s saying if they wanted to retire marbles they would have done it at the same time.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Iowa did the right thing in not retiring his number. The little ceremony thing they did where they presented him a framed jersey they had laying around was low budget and poorly handled.

Barta saying they were done retiring numbers was also dumb.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Iowa did the right thing in not retiring his number. The little ceremony thing they did where they presented him a framed jersey they had laying around was low budget and poorly handled.

Barta saying they were done retiring numbers was also dumb.
Not really though. The odds were incredibly long that that would ever come back to bite him once, let alone twice.

If I'm Barta, I'm standing in front of the mirror saying "I don't envision us wining any national championships" and "I don't envision me banging a supermodel".

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Nah, it was dumb. He wasn't simply saying it wasn't likely to see a player worthy of the honor, he was implying a choice to stop retiring numbers. He said what he said in order to avoid hurting feelings. That worked well.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I guess it depends if you heard what you want to hear, or if you listened to the actual words that he said.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
None of this matters. At all. There's no *actual* pressure on Barta to do anything. A half-dozen dipshit reporters spent an idle day or two talking about the hurt feelings of a guy's kid, who just happens to be a former player, and who 90% of Iowa fans were never going to think about again anyway. The school won't lose a single dollar or ticket-sold to this. It's nothing. Nobody outside a 3 hour drive from Iowa City even knows it ever happened.

Gametime on Friday makes this completely disappear.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
Nah, it was dumb. He wasn't simply saying it wasn't likely to see a player worthy of the honor, he was implying a choice to stop retiring numbers. He said what he said in order to avoid hurting feelings. That worked well.
It didn't, but I don't recall much criticism of his statement from 2015 to March, 2021.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think more than Iowa fans are aware of the situation.

My hope is that the announcers have enough restraint to not discuss during games in the upcoming weeks.

Last edited:

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think more than Iowa fans are aware of the situation.

My hope is that the announcers have enough restraint to not discuss during games in the upcoming weeks.

Shockingly, this story and any others forthcoming will probably skip over Marble being an overall shitbag human being.

I feel sorry for no one other than Luka.

HiG 2.0

DolphinAngerHawk
Reaction score
My buddy in Connecticut was asking me about the Marble stuff so I think the story is a little more exposed than we might like.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
Just got an ESPN alert on my phone about this story. Super.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I too am outraged that Iowa basketball fans are talking about a story involving Iowa basketball. I will post mutliple times about how unimportant it is, because I am above it and totally not a weirdo.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
90% of people that visit Yahoo and ESPN are not reading those articles. Those articles will be replaced with something else dumb by tomorrow. This story really is a nothing.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Jesus Fuck, you guys. Just last week Greg McDermott mentioned “the plantation” when addressing his team and it is over now. Calm down. This isn’t a big deal and will blow over.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Jesus Fuck, you guys. Just last week Greg McDermott mentioned “the plantation” when addressing his team and it is over now. Calm down. This isn’t a big deal and will blow over.
Having said that, if you’d like to drag the beat writers, I’m on board with that.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The one thing Barta could do better is be more frank and less of a softy when making his decisions. Don’t say stuff like you don’t envision retiring numbers. Own your shit.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
The one thing Barta could do better is be more frank and less of a softy when making his decisions. Don’t say stuff like you don’t envision retiring numbers. Own your shit.
Agree and would add that he/the department could stand to be a bit more prepared. Maybe goes hand in hand.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Everyone sort of has a point here including @Fair and Balanced , but it is sort of stupid how quickly this shit escalates off of a single tweet.

For whatever reason, Iowa has gotten hit multiple times in the same sort of sequence of events.

In this case, some twitter moron asks Devyn a question. He clearly is fuming and hurt inside and decides to air it publicly. From there a few people respond, others re-tweet and ultimately a guy who should know better like Pat Harty amplifies it.

That causes more people to see it, more bad actors in the Iowa sports media to start responding, now others are responding to them, former players see it, fans of other programs with shitty intentions see it, everyone involved does little to no research and a day later local reporters are asking the AD and head coach about it and by that night the national media is running with it.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
How it should have gone is Devyn shouldn't have responded publicly. If he does respond, then every single Iowa media member should have known well enough to leave it alone and know the situation. It should have ended right there and faded into twitter history.

Nope, all it took was Farty being a total burnout dumbfuck.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
How it should have gone is Devyn shouldn't have responded publicly. If he does respond, then every single Iowa media member should have known well enough to leave it alone and know the situation. It should have ended right there and faded into twitter history.

Nope, all it took was Farty being a total burnout dumbfuck.
Farty is indeed a burnout. All of these assholes covering the football issue got a taste of power and will forever chase these types of (non)stories going forward.

Reaction score
Harty, Howe, and Hlas don’’t give a shit. They want the traffic to their website/column. They take something thats stupid (Marble tweet) and turn it into a story.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I’ve seen the argument about retiring numbers such that we don’t know how Luka is going to turn out and Marble’s number should be retired based on what he did at the University. If Luka turns out to be a drug abuser alcoholic with multiple arrests and history of domestic assault, don’t you think they will cancel him nullifying his number retirement?

Marble shouldn’t have his number retired. Quit trying to make this a race issue, woke journalists. If Marble was a decent person, we wouldn’t be having these discussions.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Was Armstrong in the summer '88 rehab group? That was Marble, Horton, Cuthpert iirc....

I suspect the nose candy may have had something to do the with Marble's number not being retired in the 90s.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Dochterman got his half-woke bullshit into The Athletic.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Was Armstrong in the summer '88 rehab group? That was Marble, Horton, Cuthpert iirc....

I suspect the nose candy may have had something to do the with Marble's number not being retired in the 90s.
IIRC the rehab group was Marble, Horton, and Moe.

JamesMouton

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That story is crazy. I can't imagine trying to expose a person in rehab.