Hawkeye football video archives

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Reaction score
It was honestly just luck and some hard working, overachieving guys with a decent strength and conditioning program and motivated coaches.

None of them were highly rated (for the most part), but a lot of them started out in different positions and were just athletes. Gallery, Clark, etc.....

Think of how rare that is today in the era of Rivals, Scout, etc. You get a few guys who switch positions, but for the most part nearly everyone is staying exactly where they were at or making very minor changes (CB to Safety).
How high was Jermelle rated? Anyone remember?
4 star I think. He was a pretty big recruit.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
It was honestly just luck and some hard working, overachieving guys with a decent strength and conditioning program and motivated coaches.

None of them were highly rated (for the most part), but a lot of them started out in different positions and were just athletes. Gallery, Clark, etc.....

Think of how rare that is today in the era of Rivals, Scout, etc. You get a few guys who switch positions, but for the most part nearly everyone is staying exactly where they were at or making very minor changes (CB to Safety).
That team only had 3 Rivals 4* or above recruits on the whole roster if I recall. Roth, Lewis and Larson.

Allen, Johnson, Sanders and Pagel probably had a combined 4 stars between them. But the coaches did an excellent job of putting guys in positions to be good. Clark to TE, Babineaux to DL from fullback, Roth to D end from LB. Almost the whole starting O-line were TE at one point. Howard Hodges was an undersized linebacker they moved to DE, an he is arguably the most under rated player in the KF era.

The one thing about that team is they stayed relatively healthy all year and it seemed like any player they subbed in for a starter played like a starter with little drop off.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Damn, those were some fun years of hawkeye football

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

Yep, I guess. And a QB who could run and throw with equal fervor behind a dominant OL. Lethal. Purdue QB draw was play of the year for that team, and no QB at Iowa since has possessed the tools to do that.
I would love to see Ferentz get at least 1 more mobile QB before he is done at Iowa. There is a kid they are recruiting out of St. Louis in the 2014 Class that could end up being that kind of player.

Reaction score

He was pretty highly regarded, I think 4 stars. Kind of a shocking huge get gor Iowa at that point.

douglasbader

Reaction score

He was pretty highly regarded, I think 4 stars. Kind of a shocking huge get gor Iowa at that point.
He was from Connecticut and I think Ferentz had some sort of connection.

douglasbader

Reaction score
gallery was a starter at TE in 2000 lol
I know I have told some variation of this story 1,000 times, but I was pretty decent friends with him (and more so his sister who was on the track team) when he got to Iowa. It was quite the transformation to see him go from a tall, fairly cut up 220 pound Freshman to a fucking hulking 300+ lb. monster in about 2 years.

Reaction score

i think there was a lot of luck, not in a bad way, just a numbers thing. recruiting ratings aren't perfect, but a 4-star recruit is 10 times (at least) as likely to be an All-Big Ten player as a 2-star. Iowa will go a couple of years without having one of them really pan out, in this case they just had a perfect storm where like 10+ did.

Reaction score

That team only had 3 Rivals 4* or above recruits on the whole roster if I recall. Roth, Lewis and Larson.

Allen, Johnson, Sanders and Pagel probably had a combined 4 stars between them. But the coaches did an excellent job of putting guys in positions to be good. Clark to TE, Babineaux to DL from fullback, Roth to D end from LB. Almost the whole starting O-line were TE at one point. Howard Hodges was an undersized linebacker they moved to DE, an he is arguably the most under rated player in the KF era.

The one thing about that team is they stayed relatively healthy all year and it seemed like any player they subbed in for a starter played like a starter with little drop off.
Hinkel from DB to WR. Solomon was a HS QB who played at WR as a true.

I do really wish Iowa could at least get the special teams shit down again. Iowa went from elite special teams in 2002-04 to passable at best now. even getting to average/above average would probably be worth a win every other year.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think that this is the year Special Teams will be back for Iowa. First of all, the new kickoff rule is going to be a big help in not giving up huge returns. Not much good ever really happens on kick-offs besides the occasional big hit.

Ferentz seems very serious about not playing a lot of true freshman this year. He played only 4 last week, and two of them (Kornbrath and Garmon) were unavoidable. The other two were at a very thin position (CB). He said this week that only Malloy and possibly only 2 others (supposedly Flemming and Smith) will even have a shot. That would be a max total of 7, so much lower than the 10 that played last year.

That means that special teams are loaded with experienced players who are used to each other instead of a bunch of true freshman.

Meyer looks very good, Kornbrath looks decent so far, the coverage (outside of 1 kick) was very good and Hyde might have returned a few good punts if the field didn't suck.

They might be the difference between complete mediocrity and a decent season.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I think that Derrell Wilson's role in Special Teams has been reduced and he has a lot more help this year.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
This entire last page should be shown to that retarded Derby kid who didn't want to switch positions.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I think that this is the year Special Teams will be back for Iowa. First of all, the new kickoff rule is going to be a big help in not giving up huge returns. Not much good ever really happens on kick-offs besides the occasional big hit.

Ferentz seems very serious about not playing a lot of true freshman this year. He played only 4 last week, and two of them (Kornbrath and Garmon) were unavoidable. The other two were at a very thin position (CB). He said this week that only Malloy and possibly only 2 others (supposedly Flemming and Smith) will even have a shot. That would be a max total of 7, so much lower than the 10 that played last year.

That means that special teams are loaded with experienced players who are used to each other instead of a bunch of true freshman.

Meyer looks very good, Kornbrath looks decent so far, the coverage (outside of 1 kick) was very good and Hyde might have returned a few good punts if the field didn't suck.

I wasn't at the game, but the one that Hyde tripped and fell on the 9" tall grass looked like he was gonna take that to the house.

CamelTones

Reaction score
This entire last page should be shown to that retarded Derby kid who didn't want to switch positions.
I think Derby is the perfect example of a guy that would have worked out in 2002 before recruiting rankings became so important to high school kids. He had convinced himself he was a QB, and a 4* one at that even though almost anyone with a pulse knew he was either a TE or LB in college.

Getting back to the 2002 team, just look at the backups at almost every position. Greenway was Worthy's backup (even though he would have been the starter and was injured), Hodge was Barrs backup. Jovon Johnson, Considine, Paschal, Roth, Solomon, Lewis etc. Now Travis Perry is a backup linebacker....the fuck?

Reaction score

I wasn't at the game, but the one that Hyde tripped and fell on the 9" tall grass looked like he was gonna take that to the house.
Maybe not the house but he was definitely clear to break it for 20+ yards.

Reaction score

Fred Russell was fun, but he got caught from behind a lot. Twice in this game. No breakaway speed.

Last edited:

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I also remember being frustrated by Russell dancing around behind the line too often.

Reaction score
I've watched all his videos but I'll be god damned if I'm gonna watch that UNI game again. If ever a win felt like a loss that was it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Some of those plays are awesome.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score

Fred Russell was fun, but he got caught from behind a lot. Twice in this game. No breakaway speed.

The run by Paki at 3:54 makes me hate him all over again.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I haven't watched the highlights of this game in a while, but what a classic Ferentz shit bag fuck around game. Spends the first half and early second half playing guys who have no business being on the field. Stanzi with the retarded turn over and Paki fucking O'mera allowed to take a hand off in a real game and then fumbles.

The worst part of course is the Defensive scheme. Iowa sits back in a zone with a 3 man "rush" and allows the QB to turn into some sort of mechanized weapon that is a cross between Dan Marino/Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Bret Favre/John Elway/Joe Montana/Warren Moon. Throw after throw with no pressure and converting 3rd and long over and over.

I love Ferentz, but man can he be a fucking retard sometimes.

Reaction score
Yea, gotta take the good with the bad...

Our recent losses up at Minnesota remind me of that..We had no business losing those games, but our offensive scheme lets way too many teams stay in the ball game.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I haven't watched the highlights of this game in a while, but what a classic Ferentz shit bag fuck around game. Spends the first half and early second half playing guys who have no business being on the field. Stanzi with the retarded turn over and Paki fucking O'mera allowed to take a hand off in a real game and then fumbles.

The worst part of course is the Defensive scheme. Iowa sits back in a zone with a 3 man "rush" and allows the QB to turn into some sort of mechanized weapon that is a cross between Dan Marino/Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Bret Favre/John Elway/Joe Montana/Warren Moon. Throw after throw with no pressure and converting 3rd and long over and over.

I love Ferentz, but man can he be a fucking retard sometimes.
Prater was suspended the first 2 games that year so Castillo and Lowe split time opposite Spievey. Paki started, Robinson barely played and I'm not sure Wegher ever got in the game outside of Special Teams. Oh, and I'm pretty sure DJK was in the doghouse and only played a few plays that game.

It's one of the weirdest games I've attended. It was almost like Iowa didn't even bother preparing for UNI and wanted to use it as a game to discipline some players only to have it backfire.

Reaction score
DJK had a few big catches in that video..

Yea, but it's the 21st century, college football is a big time business, no time for that "teaching a lesson" bullshit..

Paki had no business playing at all outside special teams. I think a lot of it has to do with Kirk's NFL mentality and extreme aversion to turnovers, which is fine, but if he recruited better athletes, we'd be able to compensate for turnovers better. We were lucky that UNI didn't really have an answer for Moeaki..probably the best athlete to ever play TE at Iowa.

I think Ferentz and staff are slowly coming around, but IMO that situation vs UNI was totally avoidable.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Prater was suspended the first 2 games that year so Castillo and Lowe split time opposite Spievey. Paki started, Robinson barely played and I'm not sure Wegher ever got in the game outside of Special Teams. Oh, and I'm pretty sure DJK was in the doghouse and only played a few plays that game.

It's one of the weirdest games I've attended. It was almost like Iowa didn't even bother preparing for UNI and wanted to use it as a game to discipline some players only to have it backfire.
I was looking at the play by play and Robinson played a lot more than I remembered, but Iowa was fucking terrible on 3rd and 4th down going 3 for 14. They were horrible at running the ball and Stanzi wasn't great either. You can see the glaring problems from the players on the field. Too much Chaney, O'Mera, Stross, Castillo, and Lowe. Can't believe in a year where they nearly went undefeated and ended up 11-2 and winning the BCS Orange Bowl, they were playing those guys that much in the first game.

The biggest difference between 2009 and 2014, no matter how good UNI is going to be, is that Iowa will have a great O-Line and a stable of running backs. If the 2009 team could run the ball in that first game they would have killed UNI. They simply didn't have anyone to throw out there at that point. It also fucked the passing game as Stanzi threw 34 times and was sacked way too much.

Reaction score
Kirk has messed with my mind on a number of occasions but I will never in a million years figure out why JV qb'd every down in 2012. And I have heard zero plausible explanations.

Reaction score

I was looking at the play by play and Robinson played a lot more than I remembered, but Iowa was fucking terrible on 3rd and 4th down going 3 for 14. They were horrible at running the ball and Stanzi wasn't great either. You can see the glaring problems from the players on the field. Too much Chaney, O'Mera, Stross, Castillo, and Lowe. Can't believe in a year where they nearly went undefeated and ended up 11-2 and winning the BCS Orange Bowl, they were playing those guys that much in the first game.

The biggest difference between 2009 and 2014, no matter how good UNI is going to be, is that Iowa will have a great O-Line and a stable of running backs. If the 2009 team could run the ball in that first game they would have killed UNI. They simply didn't have anyone to throw out there at that point. It also fucked the passing game as Stanzi threw 34 times and was sacked way too much.
I'm cautiously optimistic that the new(er) coaches will assist in making appropriate early season personnel decisions. Also cautiously optimistic that GDGD has come to understand Big 10 power football.

Reaction score
there's another YouTube account, gohawkeyes529, who has done a lot of the same thing

Iowa-Northwestern 2002, the OL is just ridiculous

1986 Rose Bowl- I had never seen any of the Harmon fumbles, they don't really look intentional (also, the rule that you couldn't advance a fumble from the ground was dumb) but holy hell did that first one in particular hurt. what a shitty run defense effort. the worst play by Harmon was the dropped TD in the 4Q at 38-17 followed by Hayden kicking a FG

Reaction score
It looks like Jeff Drost is the DL guy Hayden mentioned in his "High Porch Picnic" book that was exhibiting the defensive tendencies that UCLA picked up on...LB play was poor too. Those DE's were getting kicked out while the DTs and LBs got walled in..game over

douglasbader

Reaction score
2002 seems like it was yesterday, but the reality is we are closing in on it being 15 years ago and was in a completely different era. Grass field at Kinnick, old press box, no stupid fucking card stunts or color coordinated bullshit, awesome parking, Magic Bus, Olive Court, packed Melrose Ave. with tons of food vendors, fans allowed to rush into the end zone to celebrate after every touchdown, a 46 year old Ferentz energized on the sidelines and a whole lot of good memories.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fuck. I'm not trying to be overly nostalgic, but I wonder if at some point there will be a school with enough big donors that have fuck you money that love things to be more "college". I would love to see them rip out all the huge scoreboard, the video ribbons, the Panchero's Plaza, the sterile corporate vendors and at least get it back to a feel in the stadium that tried to match the old college experience.

Reaction score
Fuck. I'm not trying to be overly nostalgic, but I wonder if at some point there will be a school with enough big donors that have fuck you money that love things to be more "college". I would love to see them rip out all the huge scoreboard, the video ribbons, the Panchero's Plaza, the sterile corporate vendors and at least get it back to a feel in the stadium that tried to match the old college experience.
we just need to get someone here to win the lottery and then donate a fuck ton of money to cover all this.

douglasbader

Reaction score
we just need to get someone here to win the lottery and then donate a fuck ton of money to cover all this.
If I was the T. Boone Pickens of Iowa this is exactly what I would do. In the era where everyone is rushing to add on the biggest HD Scoreboard, video ribbons, luxury seating, seat licensing, donor parking, corporate tailgating, burrito lifts, etc.... the person who goes the opposite way and strips a college stadium of all this bullshit would be a hero.

There is still going to be hypocrisy with coaching salaries, but who cares. Even if the whole act of stripping it back to how it used to be is bullshit, that is still a 4 hour escape every Saturday in the Fall worth having.

Reaction score
2002 seems like it was yesterday, but the reality is we are closing in on it being 15 years ago and was in a completely different era. Grass field at Kinnick, old press box, no stupid fucking card stunts or color coordinated bullshit, awesome parking, Magic Bus, Olive Court, packed Melrose Ave. with tons of food vendors, fans allowed to rush into the end zone to celebrate after every touchdown, a 46 year old Ferentz energized on the sidelines and a whole lot of good memories.
2002 was my sophomore year at Iowa. This post may have made me miss college more than anything else in the last 10 years.

Reaction score
I would like this as well. Just go to the games and watch the game and not be "entertained" every second

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Outside of Northwestern this year there hasn't been a lot entertaining going on at Kinnick.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I was only six years old but I distinctly remember that snap going over the UCLA punter's head and my dad going bananas. Thanks for the indoctrination, pops.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
I would like this as well. Just go to the games and watch the game and not be "entertained" every second
Those days are long gone now. It's nothing but an arms race of corporate money and seat licenses where only a handful of games matter and as soon asyour team trips up the season is over.

Meaningful games against conference foes are replaced by meaningless nonconference cupcakes. They've even ruined the bowl games by allowing every average team to go to the same fucking bowls every year.

Now the tv networks are going to sell out into shills for certain conferences and teams so there won't even be interesting banter about intriguing matchups .

I feel sorry for young fans who's only way of identifying with their team is how many championships they have won. Not the culture of the university game atmosphere that is really the foundation for the greatness of college football.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Those days are long gone now. It's nothing but an arms race of corporate money and seat licenses where only a handful of games matter and as soon asyour team trips up the season is over.

Meaningful games against conference foes are replaced by meaningless nonconference cupcakes. They've even ruined the bowl games by allowing every average team to go to the same fucking bowls every year.

Now the tv networks are going to sell out into shills for certain conferences and teams so there won't even be interesting banter about intriguing matchups .

I feel sorry for young fans who's only way of identifying with their team is how many championships they have won. Not the culture of the university game atmosphere that is really the foundation for the greatness of college football.
I agree with most of it, but the bold part is wrong. If anything, conferences are getting rid of more non-conference games for a 9 or 10 game conference schedule.

The problem is the conferences expanded and now you play teams you have no familiarity with like Maryland and Rutgers.

Reaction score
there's another YouTube account, gohawkeyes529, who has done a lot of the same thing

Iowa-Northwestern 2002, the OL is just ridiculous

1986 Rose Bowl- I had never seen any of the Harmon fumbles, they don't really look intentional (also, the rule that you couldn't advance a fumble from the ground was dumb) but holy hell did that first one in particular hurt. what a shitty run defense effort. the worst play by Harmon was the dropped TD in the 4Q at 38-17 followed by Hayden kicking a FG

gohawkeyes529 has some good footage from Bret Bielema back in 1990/1991. Bret loves/loved the Hawks. Kinnick was electric in the 80's and 90's (no wi-fi or sound system either).

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Now, imagine Kyle McCann had been a junior in 2001.