Hawkeye football video archives

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
I would love to see Ferentz get at least 1 more mobile QB before he is done at Iowa. There is a kid they are recruiting out of St. Louis in the 2014 Class that could end up being that kind of player.
How many quarterbacks will iowa have on scholarship? They are taking three this year already.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
I agree with most of it, but the bold part is wrong. If anything, conferences are getting rid of more non-conference games for a 9 or 10 game conference schedule.

The problem is the conferences expanded and now you play teams you have no familiarity with like Maryland and Rutgers.
I already dislike Maryland.

Reaction score
How many quarterbacks will iowa have on scholarship? They are taking three this year already.
We always have a shitload of kids that played QB in high school. I was thinking a few years back there were 18 kids that were HS QBs on the roster.

Reaction score
Now, imagine Kyle McCann had been a junior in 2001.
Watching the 2001 videos, McCann was better than Rudock - of course his offensive line was better, but mechanics/mobility, etc all better.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Watching the 2001 videos, McCann was better than Rudock - of course his offensive line was better, but mechanics/mobility, etc all better.
Probably did have more natural gifts. Kirk didn't love him quite as much, though, as Banks won far more snaps with a healthy McCann than second good quarterback Beathard has with a healthy Rudock.

Reaction score
Probably did have more natural gifts. Kirk didn't love him quite as much, though, as Banks won far more snaps with a healthy McCann than second good quarterback Beathard has with a healthy Rudock.
Bad things in games aren't Jake's fault. They're the result of all 11 guys not executing.

Reaction score
the more official beginning of Ferentz teams being good (after November 2000), have we seen the opposite bookend?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
the more official beginning of Ferentz teams being good (after November 2000), have we seen the opposite bookend?

My boy Jeremy Allen was a STUD. He was Weisman on steroids.

Gushawk

Reaction score
He's very sated now, certainly. No changes whatsoever to an old and unsuccessful staff.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Loved Jeremy Allen. He was a weapon as a FB. Something we have never had or tried to have since he graduated.

Reaction score
Loved Jeremy Allen. He was a weapon as a FB. Something we have never had or tried to have since he graduated.
Edgar Cervantes was pretty useful, just fewer TDs:

Allen 2000-01: 86 carries, 4.4 YPC, 4 TD, 29 catches, 298 yards, 4 TD
Cervantes 2002-03: 57 carries, 4.6 YPC, 1 TD, 18 catches, 142 YD, 0 TD

they had a great fullback the last three years...

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Brad Banks wearing #10. Don't remember that.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score
Where in god's name did all that talent come from during the dark ages of Iowa football? Those guys were thick, talented, and hungry.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
KF actually had a pretty good staff his first few years.

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
He's very sated now, certainly. No changes whatsoever to an old and unsuccessful staff.
They don't need to change anything, Gus. Just do the same thing more... better...

Reaction score
Brad Banks wearing #10. Don't remember that.
Got a nice close pic of him in a red 10 from spring ball, back when they let you mill around on the field after the scrimmage. Couldn't imagine such a teeny little fellow playing in the Big 10. That, and he was (as John Kerry would say) utterly and profoundly clueless in the scrimmage. Then somehow he was ahead of the Future 4 months later.

Imagine what Ladell Betts could have done for the 2014 team. Or even Touchdown Greving.

douglasbader

Reaction score

My boy Jeremy Allen was a STUD. He was Weisman on steroids.
I was surprised he never had a shot in the NFL.
He did have a shot. Signed with the Vikings and made the practice squad then was with Atlanta. He had bad shoulder injuries from High School that ended up being a problem.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That's too bad. Hell of an athlete. He had a bit of a shake n bake to him for a bigger guy
He was an absolute freak. I have seen him do incredible things that still can't believe sometimes.

Not only was he a very good football player and world class thrower, but I saw him once beat Tim Dodge and Tony Branch (very fast Iowa track guy) in a 30 yard dash on the track. Threw a pass to him where he windmill dunked on a guy despite only being 6'1''. Barely an ounce of fat on the guy and legs so big he had to buy jeans 6 inches too big and have someone take the waist in so his legs could fit.

If it wasn't for nagging injury, especially his shoulder, he would have been a world class Olympian.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I forgot he was on the track team. It's been 14-15 years! Was he a Fry recruit?
He was a Fry recruit. Carl Jackson I believe was his main recruiter. Redshirted his first year under Fry, played his second year and then Hayden retired.

The link to his bio is pretty great to read. He smashed records, was the Big Ten Indoor and Outdoor Freshman of the year and the first weightman in history to do that.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/allen_jeremy00.html

douglasbader

Reaction score
Looks like he's got his own fitness company and judging from the pics, he hasn't lost much

http://jeremyallenfitness.com/
He lives in Dallas now.

I have mentioned it before, but I lived a door down from him and Tim Dodge in Quad as Freshman. Jeremy, Tim, Tony Branch and myself lived in an apartment by Carver-Hawkeye the next year until Jeremy and Tim moved into Pheasant Ridge. I didn't have the same hook up as them. =)

We had a pretty good floor in Quad. In addition to those guys, Jason Dwight was the next door down. Ricky Davis and Dean Oliver were right around the corner on the same floor and a bunch of other wrestlers, track guys, etc....

The best were these 2 guys from Canada on the track team. Dan and Nick. Can't remember their last names, but like most Canadians they were complete alcoholics before they even got to college. Fun guys.

Tim and Jeremy were both the sons of preachers. Both were fun guys, but very straight laced virgins. No drinking, smoking or anything like that. They were in FCA and things like that. Didn't take long for college to loosen both of them up. They were both still good guys, but changed pretty drastically by the time they were half way through their Sophomore year.

/csb

Reaction score
Looks like he's got his own fitness company and judging from the pics, he hasn't lost much

http://jeremyallenfitness.com/
He lives in Dallas now.

I have mentioned it before, but I lived a door down from him and Tim Dodge in Quad as Freshman. Jeremy, Tim, Tony Branch and myself lived in an apartment by Carver-Hawkeye the next year until Jeremy and Tim moved into Pheasant Ridge. I didn't have the same hook up as them. =)

We had a pretty good floor in Quad. In addition to those guys, Jason Dwight was the next door down. Ricky Davis and Dean Oliver were right around the corner on the same floor and a bunch of other wrestlers, track guys, etc....

The best were these 2 guys from Canada on the track team. Dan and Nick. Can't remember their last names, but like most Canadians they were complete alcoholics before they even got to college. Fun guys.

Tim and Jeremy were both the sons of preachers. Both were fun guys, but very straight laced virgins. No drinking, smoking or anything like that. They were in FCA and things like that. Didn't take long for college to loosen both of them up. They were both still good guys, but changed pretty drastically by the time they were half way through their Sophomore year.

/csb
I get along with Canadians very well for that reason

Gushawk

Reaction score
I'll take AZ's bow to mean he's sated too.

Reaction score
Loved him as a football player but I wonder how good he would have been if he'd concentrated on track instead of football
Calvin Davis and Don Shumpert would have been well advised to concentrate on track, too. Each might have had shots at Big 10 titles in the 400.

Reaction score
For some reason I have a glaring memory of Allen fumbling (untouched) in the open field.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Was Hillcrest not around back then? I know football players used to live in Slater, then Quad and now almost every athlete is in Hillcrest.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Was Hillcrest not around back then? I know football players used to live in Slater, then Quad and now almost every athlete is in Hillcrest.
Hillcrest was the primary athlete dorm when I was in school back in the 80's

CamelTones

Reaction score

How in God's Earth did we get to the point where the current team looks like it's standing still compared to that one?
and look at how fucking fast they were a year later

Lol they had some dude named Ronnie Daniels starting at center over Bruce Nelson.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 1981 MSU game was broadcast/videotaped?

Been looking for that for years - it's more or less my Hawkeye football video Holy Grail.

Reaction score
82 minute broadcast of #3 Penn State @ Iowa 2008

The fumble recovery call at the start of that game would be known as one of the worst calls in Iowa history if Shonn Greene hadn't finished the sequence off with a TD anyway. There is not one solitary shred of evidence that anyone had the ball at the ½ yard line, least of all Penn State.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Reaction score
I just watched the 2002 Michigan game. I remember Iowa beating them pretty bad in the second half but holy hell did they own Michigan. Jermelle Lewis was awesome that game.
I was at this game. My buddy got put in Wolverine jail for rushing the field, by himself.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
I just watched the 2002 Michigan game. I remember Iowa beating them pretty bad in the second half but holy hell did they own Michigan. Jermelle Lewis was awesome that game.
I was at this game. My buddy got put in Wolverine jail for rushing the field, by himself.
Some Americans are greater than others.

Reaction score

The fumble recovery call at the start of that game would be known as one of the worst calls in Iowa history if Shonn Greene hadn't finished the sequence off with a TD anyway. There is not one solitary shred of evidence that anyone had the ball at the ½ yard line, least of all Penn State.
Clark has it outside the end zone at 8:14

Reaction score

Clark has it outside the end zone at 8:14
I have a hard time calling that possession, maybe if he had stickum on his arm and hand.

Reaction score
Last edited: