Hawkeye football video archives

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Mr. Fossil:

Make some ins with the U of I video department. They have game tape for everything back to the early 50's. It's really easy for them to burn these to DVD copies if you talk to the right people.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 1981 MSU game was broadcast/videotaped?

Been looking for that for years - it's more or less my Hawkeye football video Holy Grail.
I found a few precious minutes of it mixed into this, with Jim Zabel and Forest Evashevski commentating.

Reaction score
2008 Iowa @ Pitt if you want to piss yourself off with the Jake/Ricky deal

Last edited:

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Stanzi was 5-17 with 2 interceptions the week before against Iowa St and got pulled. Ferentz didn't have a great choice that year both Quarterbacks were iffy.

Reaction score
Stanzi was 5-17 with 2 interceptions the week before against Iowa St and got pulled. Ferentz didn't have a great choice that year both Quarterbacks were iffy.
It was painfully obvious in the Pitt game that Stanzi was the petter option I think he was 7/10 in the first half. The issue was he didn't play at all in the second half and Iowa had an impossible number of chances (like 8 drives) where Christensen could not capitalize. Agonizing game to watch.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
2008 Iowa @ Pitt if you want to piss yourself off with the Jake/Ricky deal

Watched the whole thing. Thanks lime. Gfy.

Once the decision was made to play Jake in the 3rd quarter, Jake was good enough to stay in.

Special teams were atrocious. Besides a missed chip shot fg,we punted from our 37 with 3 minutes left, they went 3 and out, and we gt the ball at our own 1yl...

Reaction score
I agree in general but Stanzi was a lot better than Christensen that game. It was sort of like Rudock/Beathard, if you're going to open it up you have judge the fieor results at some point. Kirk just waited a quarter too long in this case

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
He played on a field that had just taken on a monsoon in that ISU game.

Watch Jakes throw at 1:06:55. Then finish out that drive. You can't win with that qb. For every good throw Jake made he had 7 throws that were not even close. I think he had the talent, but for whatever reason he couldn't pull it off mentally. The only time he looked like a Big Ten qb was the Northwestern game in 2007. I thought for sure the light had gone on for him that week but I was wrong.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score

Watch Jakes throw at 1:06:55. Then finish out that drive. You can't win with that qb. For every good throw Jake made he had 7 throws that were not even close. I think he had the talent, but for whatever reason he couldn't pull it off mentally. The only time he looked like a Big Ten qb was the Northwestern game in 2007. I thought for sure the light had gone on for him that week but I was wrong.
Not sure what jon Miller would say, but I swear jc was only 5 11...he seemed to be serviceable on the move, but was insurmountably awful from the pocket.

In the first 2 drives in the Pitt game he opted for long downfield throws into coverage with guys open to move the chains underneath...

Reaction score

Did you watch that game? His numbers were good due to terrible defense, his actual QB play was not good. That game was the game I realized that he would never be good.

Edit: Hahahahaha, the sack to end that drive was so bad. What a turd.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Reaction score

Did you watch that game? His numbers were good due to terrible defense, his actual QB play was not good. That game was the game I realized that he would never be good.

Edit: Hahahahaha, the sack to end that drive was so bad. What a turd.
I just remember the second half after he struggled in the first half. He was actually hitting guys in stride etc. but again it was 2 quarters.

Reaction score
I saw an article today about how much amazing talent there was in the 2011 Alabama-LSU game, as demonstrated by the 28 and 26 future NFL players on the respective rosters.

I looked up how many future NFL players Iowa had on the 2010 team that went 4-4 in the Big Ten.

:(

HoundedHawk

STILL LURKS BUT DELETED ALL OF HIS CONTENT
Reaction score

Last edited:

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
I saw an article today about how much amazing talent there was in the 2011 Alabama-LSU game, as demonstrated by the 28 and 26 future NFL players on the respective rosters.

I looked up how many future NFL players Iowa had on the 2010 team that went 4-4 in the Big Ten.

Beat by Wisconsin in an ending which included the fake punt and went from a 1-loss, undefeated in conference top 10 team to a team that lost three straight to end the season and, with the exception of last year's run, things haven't really been the same since.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

Beat by Wisconsin in an ending which included the fake punt and went from a 1-loss, undefeated in conference top 10 team to a team that lost three straight to end the season and, with the exception of last year's run, things haven't really been the same since.
Lol. You can't say "with the exception of last years run" when that was an undefeated regular season and Top 10 ranking.

Reaction score

Lol. You can't say "with the exception of last years run" when that was an undefeated regular season and Top 10 ranking.
you could have said the same thing about 2009 after the 2010 season. the reality is that Iowa is really only going to put everything together every 5-7 years

1981 (sort of, 8-3 but made Rose Bowl)
1990 (I'll count this since they were top 5 in November)
1991 (didn't actually win anything)

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score

That's why it's the exception. Am I missing something? That was my point.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Because you can't say things haven't really been the same since with that season in there even if trying to call it an exception. It is too big to be intellectually honest.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
you could have said the same thing about 2009 after the 2010 season. the reality is that Iowa is really only going to put everything together every 5-7 years

So your point was that Iowa was probably headed downward for a while after the 2010 season anyway? So the 2010 season was the only real underachieving one? I can see that.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Because you can't say things haven't really been the same since with that season in there even if trying to call it an exception. It is too big to be intellectually honest.
Certainly not trying to be intellectually dishonest. Just seemed like the run we got off that 2009 team, with 26 NFL players the following year, didn't last long. And if I can point to an event/game which really set that team spiraling, it was the Wisconsin game. That's all. There's really a small difference between good and bad with Iowa football.

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score

Reaction score
Certainly not trying to be intellectually dishonest. Just seemed like the run we got off that 2009 team, with 26 NFL players the following year, didn't last long. And if I can point to an event/game which really set that team spiraling, it was the Wisconsin game. That's all. There's really a small difference between good and bad with Iowa football.
it seems like it within the context of that season, but they came back the next week and blitzed a top 5 Michigan State team. the real edge was lost in the Northwestern game where they were up 10 with the ball in Northwestern territory in the 4th quarter and then Stanzi threw a stupid interception.

I don't think there's anything mystical about that Wisconsin game, it's always a small margin with Iowa and there's a certain amount of inevitability with it all, nothing mystical about the Wisconsin game.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I agree with you and more pointing out what Lime is saying that Iowa continues to follow a pattern. The post 2010 era hasn't been great, but it isn't as awful as people think. It seems that way because 2012 was such a disaster due to new staff and Greg Davis putting in something that didn't fit.

2011 - 7 wins in the regular season and decent bowl game. Was sort of expected after how much they lost from 2010. They won a game they shouldn't have (Pitt) and lost 2 games they shouldn't have (Iowa State and Minnesota).

2012 - 4 wins. Terrible season, but they hilariously blew games against Iowa State, Central Michigan, Indiana and Purdue. Awful year.

2013 - 8 wins and competitive bowl game against a much better LSU team.

2014 - 7 wins and fucked away too many games to count. Forced changes and lit a fire under Ferentz.

2015 - 12 wins and a Rose Bowl. Great year.

2016 - Could end up with anything from 6 wins to 8 or 9 wins. They gave away 2 wins early in the season.

I don't see anything going on that isn't textbook Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. The only difference is instead of having a backslide in 2003 or 2004 they sustained it to have a rare 3 year run. That is the problem, I think 2002/2003/2004 is the real outlier in the equation, not anything that has happened post 2010.

Reaction score
I agree with you and more pointing out what Lime is saying that Iowa continues to follow a pattern. The post 2010 era hasn't been great, but it isn't as awful as people think. It seems that way because 2012 was such a disaster due to new staff and Greg Davis putting in something that didn't fit.

2011 - 7 wins in the regular season and decent bowl game. Was sort of expected after how much they lost from 2010. They won a game they shouldn't have (Pitt) and lost 2 games they shouldn't have (Iowa State and Minnesota).

2012 - 4 wins. Terrible season, but they hilariously blew games against Iowa State, Central Michigan, Indiana and Purdue. Awful year.

2013 - 8 wins and competitive bowl game against a much better LSU team.

2014 - 7 wins and fucked away too many games to count. Forced changes and lit a fire under Ferentz.

2015 - 12 wins and a Rose Bowl. Great year.

2016 - Could end up with anything from 6 wins to 8 or 9 wins. They gave away 2 wins early in the season.

I don't see anything going on that isn't textbook Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. The only difference is instead of having a backslide in 2003 or 2004 they sustained it to have a rare 3 year run. That is the problem, I think 2002/2003/2004 is the real outlier in the equation, not anything that has happened post 2010.
2002-04 was definitely the outlier and I think it just sort of evened out the 90s that never had that peak they should have from 95-97 with Dwight/Shaw/Banks. plus the earlier Ferentz teams were ahead of the curve for pro-style S&C so Iowa's resources were ahead of where they would normally be.

the way Wisconsin keeps it consistently a little higher than Iowa is definitely maddening but it is a state 2x as big as Iowa with slightly more favorable demographics and doesn't have Iowa State leeching off the back end. Iowa's best chance to elevate would be in 2024 or so when Brian is HC continuing the stability and Iowa State is stuck in some G5 conference and much less lecherous.

douglasbader

Reaction score
If it makes anyone feel better, Iowa has more wins since 2010 than the following programs.....

Texas
Arkansas
Tennessee
Miami
Ol' Miss
UCLA

They are 2 wins behind Florida and Michigan.

douglasbader

Reaction score
2002-04 was definitely the outlier and I think it just sort of evened out the 90s that never had that peak they should have from 95-97 with Dwight/Shaw/Banks. plus the earlier Ferentz teams were ahead of the curve for pro-style S&C so Iowa's resources were ahead of where they would normally be.

the way Wisconsin keeps it consistently a little higher than Iowa is definitely maddening but it is a state 2x as big as Iowa with slightly more favorable demographics and doesn't have Iowa State leeching off the back end. Iowa's best chance to elevate would be in 2024 or so when Brian is HC continuing the stability and Iowa State is stuck in some G5 conference and much less lecherous.
I think they were right on pattern in the 90's but Hayden getting old took that 97 team down a notch.

Reaction score

I think they were right on pattern in the 90's but Hayden getting old took that 97 team down a notch.
they also missed like five FGs combined in 3-point and 1-point losses in November before sort of mailing in the bowl game that they had no interest in. sort of by design (ie. Bromert wasn't very good, so him missing a bunch of FGs isn't shocking) but again the margins are narrow and with a couple of breaks that team is 9-2 (6-2) going to the Citrus Bowl as a top 10 team and falling right in the 5-year cycle range.

CamelTones

Reaction score
it seems like it within the context of that season, but they came back the next week and blitzed a top 5 Michigan State team. the real edge was lost in the Northwestern game where they were up 10 with the ball in Northwestern territory in the 4th quarter and then Stanzi threw a stupid interception.

I don't think there's anything mystical about that Wisconsin game, it's always a small margin with Iowa and there's a certain amount of inevitability with it all, nothing mystical about the Wisconsin game.
People forget Iowa missed an extra point and botched a short field goal because of a bad snap in that game too. Special teams were a disaster that year because of how many freshman they had to play on them.

And I disagree that Northwestern is where the edge was lost. It was actually the Indiana game that they won the week before.

douglasbader

Reaction score

People forget Iowa missed an extra point and botched a short field goal because of a bad snap in that game too. Special teams were a disaster that year because of how many freshman they had to play on them.

And I disagree that Northwestern is where the edge was lost. It was actually the Indiana game that they won the week before.
I still say it was that weird 2nd half of the Michigan State game.

Reaction score

I would agree with what you're saying on Indiana but they seemed to be overcoming that the next week. until the pick at Northwestern they looked set for an unglamorous but acceptable 24-7 type road grindout to set up another top 15 showdown with Ohio State that would basically have been a play-in for a BCS game

CamelTones

Reaction score
2010 sucked but I actually thought 2011 was more disappointing. Iowa had a legit offense and some pretty good players on defense. They just couldn't 'contain' and lost some games they had no business losing. Minnesota in particular. They followed that up by beating the Sugar Bowl champion Michigan Wolverines. Also didn't really show up against Penn State or Nebrantska.

Reaction score
2010 sucked but I actually thought 2011 was more disappointing. Iowa had a legit offense and some pretty good players on defense. They just couldn't 'contain' and lost some games they had no business losing. Minnesota in particular. They followed that up by beating the Sugar Bowl champion Michigan Wolverines. Also didn't really show up against Penn State or Nebrantska.
Vandy outside Kinnick was so very bad

24 (regulation) at Iowa State
3 at Penn State
21 at Minnesota
31 at Purdue
7 at Nebrantska
14 vs. Oklahoma

douglasbader

Reaction score
Wadley is special and should touch the ball no less than 25 times every game.

Reaction score
the only way a 40-10 beatdown of a ranked team in the twilight of late November could have been better is if it was Wisconsin

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
Is there anything better than knowing that thousands of douchebag fans spent money and drove hours only to see their team get the shit kicked out of them?

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
Need some more time to figure out who these guys are.

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
And the classic Ron Hawley vs the goalpost at MSU!

Reaction score

#1) Al Michaels!

#2) LOL that you can tell the crowd is like 70% Iowa fans. ISU misses the FG and the crowd goes nuts

crazy that a then-shitty Iowa program hosted two top ten teams in the non-conference that year (famous win over Nebrantska in the opener)

1) if Iowa had lost this game it would have been a full Ferentz special. dominate the first half, then give up a long TD run when LSU is trying to run out the clock. get a nice lead and then blow it against a backup QB (granted he was future #1 overall pick). lolclock management.

2) IIRC the Simmons TD to put Iowa up 12 was their first rushing TD since early October or something. that team was co-champions of the B10. lol.

3) random but I miss the old ABC theme/presentation instead of the ESPN on ABC stuff

4) the last drive starts at 12:08

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
That Harmon run at 5:00 is amazing. First because of the way he dances through the hole and second because of the three Cyclones that tackle each other.

Reaction score

#1) Al Michaels!

#2) LOL that you can tell the crowd is like 70% Iowa fans. ISU misses the FG and the crowd goes nuts]QUOTE]

The star of the day may have been Al Trautwig, roaming the emptying stands in the second half, doing his best Chris Hassel impression.

[crazy that a then-shitty Iowa program hosted two top ten teams in the non-conference that year (famous win over Nebrantska in the opener)]
Thanks to Mr. Forest Evashevski, who made winning seasons by his successors virtually impossible.

The Hawks suffered most of their injuries for the year that day- a gruesome broken leg for starting wingback Lon Olejniczak and a leg injury for starting QB Pete Gales. bohannon did just fine, but Gales was just coming into his own after arriving in the fall of '77 as a highly touted, but pencil thin freshman with horrible fundamentals. Two years in the Wing T with suspect coaching had done him no favors, either.
(Nice quote function use....)