**Iowa at Rutgers - 2/16/19 - 5 pm - FS1**

Bob

Reaction score
Yeah. I also saw him pass up at least two decent outside looks. It really hurts the post guys when he does that.
Well he's open outside for a reason. Everyone is going to sag way off and dare him to shoot because he hasn't shown that he can on anything except free throws. He does good things but unless he's getting a friendly whistle he can't score.

I wish they'd start staggering he and Dailey a little more. Let Moss play with the second unit more earlier in the game if you don't want him to close because you need the extra ball handling. All the minutes with Connor and Dailey together are death.
This isn’t a “well...” this is exactly what I’m saying. Because he keeps passing up shots teams can sag off him and collapse on the post guys.
I don't think the issue is that he's unwilling to shoot, it's that he can't shoot

Bob

Reaction score
Nicholas Baer’s return to form this year is probably under appreciated. He’s not going to win 6th man of the year again, but he’s finishing his career out strong like a bunch of other seniors under Fran. He’s just a guy who knows and executes his role so well.
He's awesome and would start for most of the conference. Hits threes, stuffs the stat sheet, can hold his own at both forward spots, and is the closest thing on the team to a decent defender.
I’m going to take you to outrageous claims court. Baer hustles his ass off which helps but he’s a terrible defender.
I don't think he's a great one but he's absolutely not terrible, and I'm talking relative to the rest of the team anyway. There is a reason they're the worst defense in the conference, they don't have any good defensive players

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Cook has had three straight games that he has played 37 minutes and only committed 2 turnovers. That's four straight since the Minnesota debacle that he has only turned it over twice. He was really under control last night which was huge because the Rutgers defense would have had a field day with Minnesota Cook.
I agree, but I felt like he could’ve been more aggressive last night. There were quite a few times where I thought he should’ve gone up instead of passing back out. But I also thought iowa ran too much through him and forgot about its guards in the NW game. Healthy balance somewhere in between, I guess.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
He's awesome and would start for most of the conference. Hits threes, stuffs the stat sheet, can hold his own at both forward spots, and is the closest thing on the team to a decent defender.
I’m going to take you to outrageous claims court. Baer hustles his ass off which helps but he’s a terrible defender.
I don't think he's a great one but he's absolutely not terrible, and I'm talking relative to the rest of the team anyway. There is a reason they're the worst defense in the conference, they don't have any good defensive players
lol fair.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Cook has had three straight games that he has played 37 minutes and only committed 2 turnovers. That's four straight since the Minnesota debacle that he has only turned it over twice. He was really under control last night which was huge because the Rutgers defense would have had a field day with Minnesota Cook.
Agreed. Some combination of them telling him that bringing the ball up the court and forcing on the drive was no longer viable or he realized it himself, but you can see him consciously looking for a guard when he rebounds instead of taking it up the floor himself.

OlePeep

The Conductor
Reaction score
I can’t kill the Rutgers coach for doubling JBo instead of harassing Connor. That is a bitch of a pass to execute under any circumstances (and I didn’t like the play call, which is why I’m on the couch), but Connor put that fucker on the money.

Everything is a risk and I probably would’ve focused on bohannon too. Take my chances w/ Connor, who delivered and beat me. Not a bad percentage play. I mean the shot Iowa got was extremely low percentage

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Mainly becuase someone apparently told him he doesn't need to be dribbling the ball on the other side of the court.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I can’t kill the Rutgers coach for doubling JBo instead of harassing Connor. That is a bitch of a pass to execute under any circumstances (and I didn’t like the play call, which is why I’m on the couch), but Connor put that fucker on the money.

Everything is a risk and I probably would’ve focused on bohannon too. Take my chances w/ Connor, who delivered and beat me. Not a bad percentage play. I mean the shot Iowa got was extremely low percentage
This is correct. The 65 foot baseball pass has to have sub-5% success rate. Especially to the spot Baer was. I had given up as soon as it was clear that’s what they were going with.

That said, I wonder if Fran had a hunch or had seen on film that Rutgers would double the biggest threat (Jordan). Putting him on the right side with two guys on him gave Connor a throwing lane down the left side. I’m still not sure why Moss and Joe ended up like 3 feet apart though. One of them must’ve been in the wrong spot.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I’m guessing Connor will make a leap forward in contributing next year. He’s had a rough start to the college level
He’s like 24-5 with one of the best A/T ratios in the Big Ten playing around 15mpg as the 5th offensive option.

Rough start.

douglasbader

Reaction score

This is correct. The 65 foot baseball pass has to have sub-5% success rate. Especially to the spot Baer was. I had given up as soon as it was clear that’s what they were going with.

That said, I wonder if Fran had a hunch or had seen on film that Rutgers would double the biggest threat (Jordan). Putting him on the right side with two guys on him gave Connor a throwing lane down the left side. I’m still not sure why Moss and Joe ended up like 3 feet apart though. One of them must’ve been in the wrong spot.
Guys, this wasn't some new play. It is the same Bryce Drew play that has been run for 20+ years. Throw it long to a guy, hope they are dumb enough to collapse on him as he quickly passes it to the trailing player for an open three. There is also a corner option on it for a tip and why Joe was there.

Same play.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score

No it wasn't.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I actually think Connor is still going to end up being pretty good. He is in the midst of a sophomore slump, like a few of our guys went through last year, causing us to suck.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This Connor hate is stupid.
Really, any hate for any of them at this point is stupid. It is a complete turnaround of a year and everyone should be really fucking happy. They are all positively contributing and playing their ass off.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
I actually think Connor is still going to end up being pretty good. He is in the midst of a freshman slump, like a few of our guys went through last year, causing us to suck.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Free throws being a strength of this team has me very excited for their prospects of making a run. We are a pretty damn good team that can beat you in a lot of ways. There were three guys on the court I was comfortable with having the ball on that final play (bohannon, Wieskamp and Moss). Any road win is a good win and now with the favorable schedule going forward, it is hard not to feel great about where this seems to be headed.

I predicted 17 wins before the season and voted for Alford in the Alford/McCaffery poll. Both of these actions seem to indicate that I’m a faggot.

I love watching this team more than any team we have had in a long time.

If you’re bitching about any player at this point, you are doing it wrong.

20 wins in mid-February.

CCMF.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score

Guys, this wasn't some new play. It is the same Bryce Drew play that has been run for 20+ years. Throw it long to a guy, hope they are dumb enough to collapse on him as he quickly passes it to the trailing player for an open three. There is also a corner option on it for a tip and why Joe was there.

Same play.

Who is saying it’s a new play? Maybe it’s because I’m an Iowa fan, but I’ve seen that play fail hundreds of times, which was my point.

The Valpo play also illustrates my point. The huge difference between those two plays is where Bryce Drew is vs bohannon. Had it been the same, there would’ve been five guys all in the area of the pass and the play likely would have failed for Iowa since Rutgers was doubling bohannon.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I will continue to say the other huge thing is compared to last year is Iowa has no dead spots offensively for the most part. Connor and Dailey are the closest thing but both of them can and have scored when needed.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I'm just glad I recorded that game. I was able to watch the last shot over and over for about two hours.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Let’s not kid ourselves. Dailey is absolutely a dead spot on offense

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I get wanting to rest guys in the first half and I really don’t have any idea how to do it but the lineup Fran tosses out there from the under 12 minute timeout to the under 8 isn’t really fair to any of those players. Cook is usually the only starter left out there.

Maybe go to quarters and that would solve the issue.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Lol at you fucktards debating what you'd have done different in a game we won in incredible fashion.

Bob

Reaction score
I get wanting to rest guys in the first half and I really don’t have any idea how to do it but the lineup Fran tosses out there from the under 12 minute timeout to the under 8 isn’t really fair to any of those players. Cook is usually the only starter left out there.

Maybe go to quarters and that would solve the issue.
I feel like there has to be a better way to stagger it so you don't have so many long stretches with Connor and Dailey on the floor at the same time. It feels like Dailey almost always plays with Connor, and having the only two guys with a below average ORTG in conference play sharing a backcourt seems less than ideal. Maybe try to get Connor in with the starters earlier in the first half and let Moss play more with the second unit? I dunno.

Last edited:

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Another fun little fact about that Valpo play - the guy throwing the pass wound up playing pro baseball

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Absolutely perfect cam placement on that shot.

As much as I love the whole thing, my favorite part has to be the very end. Forget (for a moment) the grab, turn & shoot all in the same motion, but the splashdown result of the kiss off the impossible angle. That ball was the perfect splash, not even a hint of rim. That net splash nearly had me splashing all over the inside of my underwear.