Iowa Basketball - Offseason 2013

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Time to look ahead to next year, boyz.

Prime Time League hasn't been announced, but hopefully they do it. In August they head over to France and London for 2 weeks.

Will be interested to see if everyone comes back, is eligible or stays healthy going into next year. I think Uthoff, Jok and Meyer will be upgrades across the board.

I initially thought that it would be best for Uthoff to come off the bench, but now I would rather he start if he is at all good enough. Basabe is simply not anything more than a garbage man and performed so much better when he is brought in as an energy guy. He has looked lost and unmotivated as a starter.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
If Fran's tradition of seniors playing incredibly well continues we could be in for a great year.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
My number 1 goal for next year's team is that Zach McCabe gets significantly less crunch time minutes.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
next year i go with marble, gesell, uthoff, white, and woodbury despite the added cost of sunscreen.

my first subs are basabe, sapp, Gabe and to a lesser extent OglesJok and McCabe

my guard heavy lineup is sapp, gesell, marble, two of white/uthoff/mel

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
I would like to hear one report regarding Uthoff's play in practice. I have one from a buddy of mine who said that he has been the best player on the court in some of the practices, but he is 50-50 full of shit.

How has no one talked about how he looks?

douglasbader

Reaction score
I would like to hear one report regarding Uthoff's play in practice. I have one from a buddy of mine who said that he has been the best player on the court in some of the practices, but he is 50-50 full of shit.

People have talked all year about how he looked.

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
next year i go with marble, gesell, uthoff, white, and woodbury despite the added cost of sunscreen.

That is one ugly/goofy/honky lineup.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score

What did they say? I haven't read anything.

I'm picturing a fundamentally sound player who can dribble a little, is a good passer/shooter, but can barely dunk despite being 6-9 and is too weak to finish around the rim.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
right now its simply impossible for us to avoid an awkward honky lineup.

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to that ugly honkey lineup kicking ass while fans of the other team complain about losing despite having better athletes.

Perham1

Executive Level Costco Member
Reaction score
Todd The Criminal was decent man and a good coach who was soiled because of an awful fit at Iowa, or so it might have been believed until this week. Some of his fellow coaches at the time of his firing came to his side, in particular Tom Izzo, and argued that Iowa was essentially a basketball wasteland. The press suggested as much too after watching He Who Shall Remain Nameless win again in New Mexico.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I continue to be confused as why perham continuously trolls an iowa message board. Clearly he leads a sad and life.

My guess he plays alot of dungeons and dragons and warcraft

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
I hope White discovers steroids this offseason.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Reaction score
Will you guys please not engage him? All it is going to do is make this thread a trolling battle instead of the Offseason thread.

MrEd

n00b For Life
Reaction score
I think Uthoff will be the x factor next year because we definitely need another shooter besides Marble. I have no doubt Jok can shoot but not sure about the other parts of his game for next season. They will be good without Uthoff but he could make this team really good. Oges and McCabe will get less and less playing time and I can see maybe Ingram transferring.

Reaction score
I think Uthoff will be the x factor next year because we definitely need another shooter besides Marble. I have no doubt Jok can shoot but not sure about the other parts of his game for next season. They will be good without Uthoff but he could make this team really good. Oges and McCabe will get less and less playing time and I can see maybe Ingram transferring.
I think Gesell is a better shooter than Marble..or will be

Shpadoinkle

Reaction score
Gesell's become money from the elbows. He and Woody could develop a hell of a pick and roll game if Woody can learn to catch the ball in traffic and (gasp!) dunk.

MrEd

n00b For Life
Reaction score
So do I but I think we would all agree that we need another one. As much as we all want it to be JO it ain't happening. White can't hit it consistently enough and doubt he ever will.

Reaction score
So do I but I think we would all agree that we need another one. As much as we all want it to be JO it ain't happening. White can't hit it consistently enough and doubt he ever will.
Neither will Marble..IMO unless he's on a streak

I think McCabe can get hot from time to time, but it would be nice to have a couple guards that we can depend on that will hit the 3pt shot maybe 40% of the time.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score

What did they say? I haven't read anything.

I'm picturing a fundamentally sound player who can dribble a little, is a good passer/shooter, but can barely dunk despite being 6-9 and is too weak to finish around the rim.
He seems to be able to dunk easy enough. Like Mike, he plays like someone that spent his entire childhood playing ball. With JU my main concern is disappearing. It could be a function of fitting in with teammates, but he doesn't seem to force his offense at all. With his stroke, I'll want him taking a lot of shots plus he didnt strike me as weak in traffic.

I hope Meyer can be a decent garbage man to help cancel out him shooting too many threes. Basically, McCabe this year with a better chance of getting a contested layup near the rim.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I would like to see Woody wearing these everyday until October.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I would like to see Woody wearing these everyday until October.

Jimmy likes this idea. Jimmy agrees.

Lots to be proud of from our boys. The only thing to be upset about is that there are no more games to watch. Very proud of the things that we accomplished in this run to the NIT finals.

Beating Virginia on the road was GIGANTIC. Finally beating a quality team on the road will be vital going forward in my eyes. The victory over Maryland was huge, too.

This team is going to do special things next season.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else thing of Woodbury during the Maryland game when they were showing Len's body change and weight gain from his Freshman to Soph year? If Woodbury could increase his strength/weight even half that much and while maintaining/improving his athleticism, he's going to be a beast.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
McCabe is actually a pretty decent shooter when he gets set and keeps his feet under him. Last night every shot he took his body was way out in front of his feet. When he slows down and jumps straight up he has a really nice shot.

I would be surprised if he can even touch the rim though. Dude has no ups whatsoever. His feet are incredibly slow too. As long as he guards on the outside in a zone he tends to be just below average instead of horrid like he is down low and man to man

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
McCabe can shoot. But Deuce is right, his feet are incredibly slow and I think he's closer to 6'5 than 6'7.

I dont know how much Fran pushes the strength program. White doesnt look any bigger or stronger than last year.

MrEd

n00b For Life
Reaction score
McCabe is actually a pretty decent shooter when he gets set and keeps his feet under him. Last night every shot he took his body was way out in front of his feet. When he slows down and jumps straight up he has a really nice shot.

I would be surprised if he can even touch the rim though. Dude has no ups whatsoever. His feet are incredibly slow too. As long as he guards on the outside in a zone he tends to be just below average instead of horrid like he is down low and man to man
McCabe is someone I thought would turn into a good shooter because like you say he has a pretty good looking stroke. He just hasn't.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
ive read comments from fran that he wants guys to add strength without additional bulk. i can see that with a Basabe or Oglesby. however, i think white is a guy that needs some bulk on him. strength doesnt really help you in midair collision. mass does.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to that ugly honkey lineup kicking ass while fans of the other team complain about losing despite having better athletes.
Has Iowa always been a haven for honky ballers? I wondered if that would change at all under Fran.

It's too bad we can't seem to break into Illinois for recruiting. The 2014 prep class is especially good. Obviously, we aren't getting Okafor, but one of the less-heralded players would be nice.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Has Iowa always been a haven for honky ballers? I wondered if that would change at all under Fran.

It's too bad we can't seem to break into Illinois for recruiting. The 2014 prep class is especially good. Obviously, we aren't getting Okafor, but one of the less-heralded players would be nice.
i would say that theres a good chance we end up with 3 illinois kids in 2014

Match34

Is Not Funny
Reaction score

Looking back on it, I don't think Iowa's had a recruit out of Illinois that worked out since the '90's. Payne bailed, Freeman bailed, Sommerville bailed, Pierce raped. Bawinkel only got to Iowa by way of WV and Juco, and he wasn't any good, anyway.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score

i would say that theres a good chance we end up with 3 illinois kids in 2014
Which 3? There's the little PG Tyler Ulis from Marian Catholic. Who else?

Miles Reynolds from Whitney Young is someone to keep an eye on. He's a bit overshadowed by his teammates but I think he'll break out this Summer. Hell, I'd almost take any of Whitney Young's starting five. They look like a mid major.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Just looking at the 2014 offers, there's no doubt Fran is trying to break into some large midwest urban areas- Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis.

As to Stinky's questions- and I've only watched Uthoff in PTL- but he was impressive. He was efficient, and like White, had surprising bounce (yes, surprising because he is pale).

Outside of the build and surprising athleticism, White and Uthoff aren't all that similar. Uthoff is an efficient jump shooter, receive a pass, take two bounces and hit the pull-up. He is obviously very thin, but he played like a Bo Ryan coached kid, always in control without a lot of wasted movement. Like him or not, Ryan knows what he is doing.

Ben Kenobi

Definitely Needs to GFH
Reaction score
ive read comments from fran that he wants guys to add strength without additional bulk. i can see that with a Basabe or Oglesby. however, i think white is a guy that needs some bulk on him. strength doesnt really help you in midair collision. mass does.
White needs to learn to rebound with two hands.

howler

Totally Not a Spartan Fan
Reaction score

That is one ugly/goofy/honky lineup.
Always been that way.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Gesell's become money from the elbows. He and Woody could develop a hell of a pick and roll game if Woody can learn to catch the ball in traffic and (gasp!) dunk.
Or at least fan and make a 15 footer

PipeDaddy

Nanny State Leach Enabler
Reaction score
Gessell definitely loves that shot, from either side. And for the life of me, I can't recall a 7 footer with fewer dunks per minute played. (Okay, I just made that stat up, but you get the idea). Fewer bunnies and more dunks next year, please!

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
When Woody starts to dunk I hope he does the Seth Gorney X Factor thing after each one. Other fans will hate him.