- Iowa vs Illinois. 1/29/21. 8:00pm. FS1 -

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
I don't know if he slipped or something, but Nunge really did block his man out, he just kind of forgot to get the ball. Jordan saw Nunge with the block out and leaked down court. I'm sad.
He did block out and was pulled under the hoop by the guy he was blocking out so he couldn’t reach the ball.

CleteyColgate

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
They changed it before last year I think after a crazy situation in an LSU game. It's reviewable inside of 2 minutes. Obviously the shitty part of this is that the putback happened with no impact from the whistle.
Like Trump, I am just to say Iowa won and no one can convince me otherwise.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Doug. Let's be buds. Let's also completely ignore tonight's game. Convince me Iowa plays good defense and Fran is a good coach. Call me a Wal Mart fan or whatever, but convince me. Thanks
They don’t play good defense.

Iowa basketball is a top 10 team. Do you think it’s because of all of the top 50 players on the roster?

Reaction score
Doug. Let's be buds. Let's also completely ignore tonight's game. Convince me Iowa plays good defense and Fran is a good coach. Call me a Wal Mart fan or whatever, but convince me. Thanks
Inherits one of the worst high-major programs in the country. 6 tournaments in the last 8 years with a current top 10 team. Not a good coach.

Reaction score
This can't be right. I think you're thinking of the 10 second call. If this were the case alot of long inbound passes would turn into 5 second calls. FTR I still think it was the correct call.
They changed this a few years ago. I liked the 5 seconds until it touched an inbounds player. Now its when the inbounder releases the ball.
on the ten second call, the ball must be possessed in the front court before ten seconds.

Natty Bumppo

Chiropractor for Eyes
Reaction score
This can't be right. I think you're thinking of the 10 second call. If this were the case alot of long inbound passes would turn into 5 second calls. FTR I still think it was the correct call.
You’re right on both counts.

Reaction score
They don’t play good defense.

Iowa basketball is a top 10 team. Do you think it’s because of all of the top 50 players on the roster?
Ok. Athletically no way and that's where you needs good coaching. I want Iowa to win the whole fucking thing but I am also a realist

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Just an awful turn of events on the goaltending. I don’t care if that’s a technically correct application of the rules - think about it rationally. During the course of play, Iowa scored. The thing that took the points away wasn’t the replay, it was the ref incorrectly calling goaltending in the first place!

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Oh shit I just looked at some Facebook comments. This board is still cool

Reaction score
Ok. Athletically no way and that's where you needs good coaching. I want Iowa to win the whole fucking thing but I am also a realist
So they're athletically nowhere near a top 10 team. And you need good coaching to compensate for lack of athleticism. But they are a top 10 team. But they also don't have good coaching.

What is wrong with you son?

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
It was after the under 8 timeout. Up 2, Joe T. gets in the lane, nice move. Looks good, spins out, Pat crashes weakside with no one near him for the putback. Another half revolution and hang on the rim, Pat's already under the rim and they get it. Perkins loses Frazier for a second and he drills a 3.

Then Tony hits a bucket that could've been a 3 point play. We come back zone, Joe T. is pointing and yelling at Wieskamp to get to the corner, he's late and Ayo hits a wide open 3. Stop each, way, Perkins misses in the lane on a tough one. Another stop, busted possession, Luka forces a tough shot end of clock and didn't see JBO with no one within 15 feet, then they call Luka for his 4th. That stretch was tough.

Then down 2 with 3:18, we get Keegan a great look underneath that he left a foot short. Had to have been hit on his elbow but tough to see it. Stop, Wieskamp drills a 3 and we're up 1 with 2:35. Keegan gets caught all the way on the strong side of the paint and they drill a wide open 3. Then Connor gets stripped which never happens, they drill 2. Luka misses a 3, we get a stop, then the goaltending shit.

Not sure why I typed all that out, coping I guess.
This is the stretch where they missed CJ the most. Keegan showed his youth there. Should have shot it on the catch. Instead collected, then hesitated expecting help defense and left the shot way short. Followed it up by being way out of position on defense.

I honestly thought Iowa was going to win after the Wieskamp 3 to put them up 1.

Reaction score
Just an awful turn of events on the goaltending. I don’t care if that’s a technically correct application of the rules - think about it rationally. During the course of play, Iowa scored. The thing that took the points away wasn’t the replay, it was the ref incorrectly calling goaltending in the first place!
Exactly. That's where if you have a common sense application of the rules, you realize that if you need 3 minutes to overturn it and you see the immediate putback, you just let the play call as stands.

Reaction score
So they're athletically nowhere near a top 10 team. And you need good coaching to compensate for lack of athleticism. But they are a top 10 team. But they also don't have good coaching.

What is wrong with you son?
Good shooters?

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
The fun, free flowing game that took place in the first half was not replicated in the second half, and that’s a shame. Iowa is much better built for the NCAA tournament than the bullshit we see throughout the Big Ten.

It’s unfortunate but it reminds me a little bit of Michigan under Beilein and the success they had in the big dance.
Iowa will outperform their seed there and underperform it in the BTT.

Reaction score
Exactly. That's where if you have a common sense application of the rules, you realize that if you need 3 minutes to overturn it and you see the immediate putback, you just let the play call as stands.
It’s the problem with having replay for only certain calls at certain times of the games. Like an out of bounds where the guy is clearly fouled but the ref can’t change it and call the foul. Two points there was no different than a borderline goaltend with 15 minutes left. It basketball, there are so many calls that are close. Just make the call and move on.

Reaction score
It was close enough that any logical person would say replay was "inconclusive" knowing that it was not goaltending by the book. Just use common sense like NBA refs. Why would you want to impact the game like that if you're a ref.

Natty Bumppo

Chiropractor for Eyes
Reaction score
It was the mother of all anticipation calls. You could see it coming before the pass. Only problem was there was nothing there. If you can’t do that on defense it’s impossible to play defense.

On the other hand, you can do this on offense.
I forgot that one - that would be called a pick play in football.

Reaction score
It was the mother of all anticipation calls. You could see it coming before the pass. Only problem was there was nothing there. If you can’t do that on defense it’s impossible to play defense.

On the other hand, you can do this on offense.

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I apologize for my WalMart comment earlier. If anything, Iowa shouldve got their first I am a giant douche loss tonight which is why I am still pissed.

Iowa needs a legit 3rd scorer to step up in the absence of CJ and haven't had one in these last two games.