**Iowa vs. Maryland Basketball - 1/30/20 - 7:30pm - BTN**

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Which is why I’m not convinced he shouldn’t play over Cordell.
Let’s not get carried away here. Neither are ideal, but I’d still rather toss Pemsl out there than Till.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Does it really matter if Kreiner fouls out? That 2 foul rule of his is just dumb.
I hate the two foul rule or any foul rule.

There are 40 minutes in the game. You want your best players to play the maximum number of minutes possible.

Which is better ... Garza playing 24 minutes and not fouling out or perhaps playing 30 minutes but fouling out with 5 minutes left to play?

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score

There are 40 minutes in the game. You want your best players to play the maximum number of minutes possible.

Which is better ... Garza playing 24 minutes and not fouling out or perhaps playing 30 minutes but fouling out with 5 minutes left to play?
That’s on Garza for picking up that boneheaded second foul before the under 16 timeout. Fran tried to weather the storm as long as he could while protecting Garza and put him back in when we needed him. All things consider, I thought he handled Garza’s foul trouble pretty well last night. I think that is how he should always handle it. Deal with it situationally instead of just automatically.

Reaction score
They fought like hell last night. No complaints on the effort. Tough sonsofbitches. Thought when they got it to 64-57 from 13 they might pull it off again. Just ran out of gas.

Reaction score

Garza playing 24 minutes and having a chance to play at the end of a close game is far and away the better option. It’s easy now to say he should have played because it wasn’t close but in a tight game down the stretch you MUST have you best player on the floor to have the best chance to win.

Reaction score
Better they lay an egg against a ranked team on the road than do it against someone like Nebrantska again.

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
That’s on Garza for picking up that boneheaded second foul before the under 16 timeout. Fran tried to weather the storm as long as he could while protecting Garza and put him back in when we needed him. All things consider, I thought he handled Garza’s foul trouble pretty well last night. I think that is how he should always handle it. Deal with it situationally instead of just automatically.
Well if Joe makes the fucking layup he’s not put in that position.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Watching some old Pemsl highlights, his back must be pretty bad compounded by coming off knee surgery. He just has no lift anymore. He used to be a pretty solid low block player. He doesn't even attempt any moves anymore.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding
Reaction score
Garza playing 24 minutes and having a chance to play at the end of a close game is far and away the better option. It’s easy now to say he should have played because it wasn’t close but in a tight game down the stretch you MUST have you best player on the floor to have the best chance to win.
No one is going win this argument. Some people might want him on the floor for the maximum amount of minutes and hope he contributes to building a lead and then trying to hold on at the end if he fouls out. Others hope the game stays close and he comes in late to help win the game.

Either way, the 2 foul rule in the FIRST HALF is retarded. Sub him in and out like crazy if you have to. Fran did pretty well last night with it. Other opponents he might have sat him the rest of that half.

6deuce

6douche
Reaction score
Watching some old Pemsl highlights, his back must be pretty bad compounded by coming off knee surgery. He just has no lift anymore. He used to be a pretty solid low block player. He doesn't even attempt any moves anymore.

Look at that fucking lineup.

Pemsl, Baer, Ellingson, Williams, and Uhl. LOFL.

Reaction score
Better they lay an egg against a ranked team on the road than do it against someone like Nebrantska again.
They hardly laid an egg. Had some tough breaks and shots weren’t falling but the effort was there and still had somewhat of a chance late on the road against a top 15 team.

Reaction score
No one is going win this argument. Some people might want him on the floor for the maximum amount of minutes and hope he contributes to building a lead and then trying to hold on at the end if he fouls out. Others hope the game stays close and he comes in late to help win the game.

Either way, the 2 foul rule in the FIRST HALF is retarded. Sub him in and out like crazy if you have to. Fran did pretty well last night with it. Other opponents he might have sat him the rest of that half.
I agree. There probably isn’t a right answer. The 2 foul rule is dumb to be so stringent that it’s a rule. However he didn’t follow the rule with Garza last night so I agree with you. I think Fran handles it well. I also think Kreiner was benched for the T which is whatever. It was dumb so I get benching him for a few minutes.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Can we all agree that in a yet to be decided game Till and Pemsl should never be on the floor together unless both Garza and Kreiner have fouled out?

AZmess

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Can we all agree that in a yet to be decided game Till and Pemsl should never be on the floor together unless both Garza and Kreiner have fouled out?
It wasn’t ideal no but It didn’t kill us. Till was fine and Pemsl wasn’t terrible.

coff

Strip Mall Attorney & Scholar
Reaction score
Obviously would have liked to steal a win last night, but this is not a bad loss. Many factors contributed:
  • Garza picking up two early fouls (although refs sucked, these 1st 2 were clearly fouls)
  • MD on fire, especially from 3 - many shots were contested and they still hit them
  • Hawks had 5-6 defensive breakdowns very late in the shot clock - played good D for 27 seconds and then gave up an open look at the buzzer
  • Joe W and CJ really need to be more aggressive in certain situations, when we need to score
  • Joe T still makes some poor judgments on drives
With respect to the refs, here are my complaints:
  • The BS T on Kriener - FFS, that happens in every game - give him a warning
  • The 4th foul on Garza was crap
  • They let MD pound on Garza the entire 2nd half
  • They let MD slow the pace after made baskets - initially, MD kept tossing or kicking the ball aside - when they finally warned them,they stopped, and instead started getting in the way of the Hawk trying to take the ball out - should have been a T

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Till and Pemsl were not really the problem. It was the fact that he had them on the floor with Evelyn and Connor. Frederick was really the only one that could score.

They went from up 5 to up 1 by the time they were subbed out. And that 4 minute stretch in the first half is always where Fran has a goofy lineup on the floor.

Reaction score
Obviously would have liked to steal a win last night, but this is not a bad loss. Many factors contributed:
  • Garza picking up two early fouls (although refs sucked, these 1st 2 were clearly fouls)
  • MD on fire, especially from 3 - many shots were contested and they still hit them
  • Hawks had 5-6 defensive breakdowns very late in the shot clock - played good D for 27 seconds and then gave up an open look at the buzzer
  • Joe W and CJ really need to be more aggressive in certain situations, when we need to score
  • Joe T still makes some poor judgments on drives
With respect to the refs, here are my complaints:
  • The BS T on Kriener - FFS, that happens in every game - give him a warning
  • The 4th foul on Garza was crap
  • They let MD pound on Garza the entire 2nd half
  • They let MD slow the pace after made baskets - initially, MD kept tossing or kicking the ball aside - when they finally warned them,they stopped, and instead started getting in the way of the Hawk trying to take the ball out - should have been a T
After the warning it became even more obvious. I couldn’t be they were given a warning but never a T.

Reaction score
Till was actually pretty solid on D for his short stint in the game. Pemsl was far from good but he was way better than he has been this year. Had some good boards and a few put backs. He was far more productive and had fewer face palm moments than every other game this year.

-edit. I said fewer face palm moments. Not zero. He still needs to ride the pine.

CurdMan

TurdMan
Reaction score
For all the good Toussaint brings, someone needs to tell him that anything is better than a crossover into a long two at the end of the shot clock. Take it to the rack, chuck up a 3, or pass it but stop shooting that shit

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
Teams have adjusted to Iowa. Now Iowa needs to find a counter. Also need to get Connor back up to 7-8 points a game.
Agree. I know he's contributed in other ways but he's been pretty tough to watch as of late. I forget the exact sequence, but there was one where he basically dribbled the clock down going one on one and then got his shot blocked. It was gross.

Garza will get his but if C.J. and Joe are contained, it gets ugly quick. Those 7-8 from Connor make a big difference.

Reaction score
Till and Pemsl were not really the problem. It was the fact that he had them on the floor with Evelyn and Connor. Frederick was really the only one that could score.

They went from up 5 to up 1 by the time they were subbed out. And that 4 minute stretch in the first half is always where Fran has a goofy lineup on the floor.
I get your point but a 4 point swing over a multiple minute stretch isn't even worth mentioning.

Reaction score
Most common complaints from last night are the late defensive breakdowns and shots not falling on offense. Both of those can be traced back to fatigue with our heavy hitters playing mucho minutes. Not sure how that gets resolved at this point in the season, there's no breaks in the schedule coming. Be nice to see more driving to the basket when shots aren't falling. Hold court at home, steal a road win or two.

douglasbader

Thinks Joe W Has Access To The YMCA
Reaction score
Most common complaints from last night are the late defensive breakdowns and shots not falling on offense. Both of those can be traced back to fatigue with our heavy hitters playing mucho minutes. Not sure how that gets resolved at this point in the season, there's no breaks in the schedule coming. Be nice to see more driving to the basket when shots aren't falling. Hold court at home, steal a road win or two.
I don't think last night had anything to do with heavy minutes. Iowa is coming off a 3 game home stretch that included 10 days of rest and 3 days of rest for the game last night.

Jim

Reaction score
I don't think last night had anything to do with heavy minutes. Iowa is coming off a 3 game home stretch that included 10 days of rest and 3 days of rest for the game last night.
Which makes Sunday a little concerning. Thank goodness it’s at home in front of sold out crowd.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Connor had a couple steals several rebounds and several nice assists. He’s an important part of this teams success even if he’s not scoring. His scores should come primarily from the free throw line with a three here and there when there’s no other option.

Reaction score
It's not much of a problem when he is with scorers, but occasionally he'll be in there without Joe W or Garza.

Connor is an important player for the Hawks, but if he was a better and more willing shooter, Iowa would be that much tougher.

Reaction score
If they all were better shooters, we'd never lose! It's tough to win in the I am a giant douche on the road, and our 2 bigs got in early foul trouble. They still fought, can't be too down about that loss.