**Iowa vs. Minnesota Basketball - 2/16/20 - 12pm - FS1**

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Pitino got an extension through 2024 less than a year ago. He isn't going anywhere.
This is why some of the Barta stuff is ridiculous, like Deace calling him "the worst P5 athletic director in the country". Tons of programs give extensions that end up looking shitty - Minnesota with Pitino, ISU with Prohm, just as immediately relevant examples. I'm not saying Barta is great, but there's definitely a familiarity breeds contempt thing there.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
This is why some of the Barta stuff is ridiculous, like Deace calling him "the worst P5 athletic director in the country". Tons of programs give extensions that end up looking shitty - Minnesota with Pitino, ISU with Prohm, just as immediately relevant examples. I'm not saying Barta is great, but there's definitely a familiarity breeds contempt thing there.
Deace is also dumb.

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
The Barta thing still blows me away. What could that possibly be based on? $5 million in the black last year multiple top 25 teams, not eliminating any programs, etc. I’m stumped.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
The Barta thing still blows me away. What could that possibly be based on? $5 million in the black last year multiple top 25 teams, not eliminating any programs, etc. I’m stumped.
He handled the Meyer stuff poorly. But that’s about it.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
She yelled at her boss because he fired her girlfriend coach that had a losing record and told a player to go kill herself then she missed a due date on a major project by a wide margin. This would've gotten any man or heterosexual woman fired without incident
Yep. But he kept saying she was a good employee when she had a long history of being a pain in the ass.

Reaction score
She yelled at her boss because he fired her girlfriend coach that had a losing record and told a player to go kill herself then she missed a due date on a major project by a wide margin. This would've gotten any man or heterosexual woman fired without incident
Which led many to believe the suit would be a slam dunk against the lesbos. Somehow it wasn't and a good part of that falls on Barta's shoulders. They should have canned her years before.

Reaction score
Which led many to believe the suit would be a slam dunk against the lesbos. Somehow it wasn't and a good part of that falls on Barta's shoulders. They should have canned her years before.
It was failure to leave a paper trail of evidence against her. Right or wrong, the blame falls on Barta, but I’d guess the majority of employers do a shitty job of documenting poor employee performance/behavior.
I know it should've been done. Barta attempted to be a reasonable nice guy for them and find somewhere for her to succeed and they took advantage of it

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
Barta and Iowa lost the lawsuit because a culture of looking the other way towards (wait, is that even possible?) a certain protected class over the course of 40 years came back to bite them.

Last edited:

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
based on AD results alone, he’s great. Handling AD issues that come up in many administrations and public perception of him, he’s less than average.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
based on AD results alone, he’s great. Handling AD issues that come up in many administrations and public perception of him, he’s less than average.
Barta gives fewer shits about what people think of him than Kirk does, which is really saying something.

Reaction score
The beauty of ISU fans hating Barta so much is that he was their number one choice when they ended up hiring Pollard. He was choice 1a, b and c. He turned down even the interview because he had knowledge Iowa would be open and that was his desired job.

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
The beauty of ISU fans hating Barta so much is that he was their number one choice when they ended up hiring Pollard. He was choice 1a, b and c. He turned down even the interview because he had knowledge Iowa would be open and that was his desired job.
wait what

I had never heard anything about this. I just know that bob personally recommended Gary and he wanted it despite the shitshow of the UI presidency.

Reaction score
wait what

I had never heard anything about this. I just know that bob personally recommended Gary and he wanted it despite the shitshow of the UI presidency.
This was my post from 2009 on it in some Pollard vs. Barta discussion. After that I learned it wasn’t just “one of the top targets,” but “the” top target:

While it means nothing in real-terms, of course, I can state with absolute certainty that Barta was high on ISU's list when hiring an AD. He was one of the initial top targets. He turned down even an interview.