***Iowa vs Wisconsin. 2/18/21. 6:00 PM. ESPN (The Ocho?)***

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
He had a smart foul tonight where he stopped D'Mitrik Trice around the foul line before Trice went up (he immediately put his hand up to say he fouled) which Trice likely would have had an easy lay-up (and possibly an and-one situation with most people who would have tried to contest the shot). Wisconsin then had the ball underneath and they missed a jumper on the ensuing possession.
It seems like he saves 2-4 points a game doing that.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Can a big ten team end the more than two decades drought of a natty?

Michigan best shot?

Reaction score
So I watched this game at a bar and I was probably into my third 32 oz serving....

Did Davison hit C. McCaffery in the nuts again? I thought for sure that I witnessed that, but I've seen no mention anywhere. I assume that I was drunk.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
So I watched this game at a bar and I was probably into my third 32 oz serving....

Did Davison hit C. McCaffery in the nuts again? I thought for sure that I witnessed that, but I've seen no mention anywhere. I assume that I was drunk.
Never saw it, but I assume it happened at some point.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Doesn't he?

I mean I loved Jok but Joe is a better shooter. He's not a future all star or anything but the areas he lacks aren't exactly Jok's strengths, either.

Jok was asked to do more than Joe his senior season for sure but I'm going to file this one under "unsurprising takes" and move on. I wouldn't bet money on Wieskamp having a career in the league but it doesn't have anything to do with his skill relative to Jok.
Wieskamp is a better shooter, rebounder, and overall a better athlete than Jok. In Jok's favor you could say that he was asked to take more shots on that team than Joe is on this team so he probably took some worse shots, but we're talking about a 10%+ difference in eFG%.

In terms of athleticism, Jok was hampered by the knee injuries, but while that's a justifiable reason it doesn't really change the fact that it's true.

In terms of what Jok did better...he was a better FT shooter and maybe a better passer?

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score

I think him and one of those Davis dudes just head butted each other. That’s the only time I remember Connor hurt.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Wieskamp is a better shooter, rebounder, and overall a better athlete than Jok. In Jok's favor you could say that he was asked to take more shots on that team than Joe is on this team so he probably took some worse shots, but we're talking about a 10%+ difference in eFG%.

In terms of athleticism, Jok was hampered by the knee injuries, but while that's a justifiable reason it doesn't really change the fact that it's true.

In terms of what Jok did better...he was a better FT shooter and maybe a better passer?
Jok took 2 more 3PA per game his senior season. If you added 2 per game for Joe this year and assumed he missed every single one of them they'd have nearly identical efficiency from behind the arc.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I was overserved last night but Joe absolutely has a place in the nba I see on tv. Shooting is the most valued skill in the league, and he does everything else well enough to contribute in other ways. His shooting is elite.
Right. And it's not like he's not a complete stiff. I don't think he's a perpetual all star or anything, but unless his shot gets broken in the NBA I think he can stick.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I was overserved last night but Joe absolutely has a place in the nba I see on tv. Shooting is the most valued skill in the league, and he does everything else well enough to contribute in other ways. His shooting is elite.
Agreed, but it would be surprising to see a team invest a first round pick and the contract that would entail. 2nd, sure, or FA contract.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I thought Connor took an inadvertent eye poke on the rebound attempt. Not from Davison.

As to Jok, I think I remember him being a better ballhandler. He wasn't great at taking it to the rim, but sometimes Joe gets a little sloppy on the perimeter.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
For the last two weeks every time he jacks one up I audibly say "fuck yeah." I don't remember the last Iowa player I was so confident in. Maybe Haluska.
Gatens had that stretch his senior year where he was like 14-16 or something absurd like that.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Gatens had that stretch his senior year where he was like 14-16 or something absurd like that.
It was against Wisconsin, too. Maybe because Iowa's good I care more.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Joe would have a good Duncan Robinson like role. That homo has stuck in the NBA and he will get a very solid second contract.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Duncan Robinson is going to get a $100 million contract. There is a spot in the NBA for Joe Wieskamp.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Doesn't he?

I mean I loved Jok but Joe is a better shooter. He's not a future all star or anything but the areas he lacks aren't exactly Jok's strengths, either.

Jok was asked to do more than Joe his senior season for sure but I'm going to file this one under "unsurprising takes" and move on. I wouldn't bet money on Wieskamp having a career in the league but it doesn't have anything to do with his skill relative to Jok.
Jok averaged 20 PPG as a senior and focal point of the offense. Joe benefits from open shots due to Garzas presence

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Joe is also shooting at a further distance on 3's than Jok, correct?

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Jok averaged 20 PPG as a senior and focal point of the offense. Joe benefits from open shots due to Garzas presence
I gave Jok credit for being the focus point when I talked about efficiency as a shooter in the quote you posted. But when you just mention PPG that actually takes away from your point.

Let me put it this way - do you think Wieskamp would average more or less than his 15.5 PPG if he were the focal point?

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
Duncan Robinson is going to get a $100 million contract. There is a spot in the NBA for Joe Wieskamp.
Robinson went undrafted and had to grind through the G League.

I think there's a spot for Joe in the NBA, but don't think he should leave early to seek it. He can benefit from another year at Iowa. His handle, drive-game and defense need improvement for the NBA.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Robinson went undrafted and had to grind through the G League.

I think there's a spot for Joe in the NBA, but don't think he should leave early to seek it. He can benefit from another year at Iowa. His handle, drive-game and defense need improvement for the NBA.
Helps to have a penus as well. He's got a little sprout poking through currently.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I'll wait for Brandee to tell me whether or not Joe has a spot in the WNBA before I worry about his NBA chances.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
I didn’t realize stats had Joe as a much better shooter than Jok. I don’t ever check stats so that’s part of it, but I would have characterized Joe’s recent tear as an early Gatens’ run and left Joe well behind Jok. Win one for stats.

I also had JBo far up the list of all-time Hawks I want taking an open three (before this season) and now I probably have him fourth on his own team.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I gave Jok credit for being the focus point when I talked about efficiency as a shooter in the quote you posted. But when you just mention PPG that actually takes away from your point.

Let me put it this way - do you think Wieskamp would average more or less than his 15.5 PPG if he were the focal point?
dunno. he wilted when he was the focal point in the past. hope he proves me wrong

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
If you had forced Joe to take 90 bad shots so far this year (about what it would take to make up the differential between he and Jok at the moment), Joe would only need to make slightly less than 25% of them to still have a higher shooting percentage than Jok's senior year.

Also, in terms of being a focal point, Jok's FG% only dropped like 2% from his Junior year playing with Uthoff, Woodbury, Gessell, & Clemmons to his senior year with just Tyler Cook.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
If you had forced Joe to take 90 bad shots so far this year (about what it would take to make up the differential between he and Jok at the moment), Joe would only need to make slightly less than 25% of them to still have a higher shooting percentage than Jok's senior year.

Also, in terms of being a focal point, Jok's FG% only dropped like 2% from his Junior year playing with Uthoff, Woodbury, Gessell, & Clemmons to his senior year with just Tyler Cook.
Whatever, nerd.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score

plz factor in that Pete is a black kid from Des Moines and Joe is a honky from his internet rivals hometown.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Literally zero chance he gets drafted this year & maybe 1% next. The FA route is his best bet.
Not a knock on him, those guys are just freaks.

In no other sport is the jump from college to pro as big as it is in basketball. It’s not even close to the same game.

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Literally zero chance he gets drafted this year & maybe 1% next. The FA route is his best bet.
Not a knock on him, those guys are just freaks.

In no other sport is the jump from college to pro as big as it is in basketball. It’s not even close to the same game.
NO CHANCE!!!!!

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Neither Marble ever led the douche in scoring.

I thought Jok did one year but the only recent Hawk to do it was Uthoff

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Baseball is a huge jump.
That is the correct answer. The number of college or high school baseball players that could jump immediately to MLB? There haven't been many in the last 50 years. There probably could have been a few more, but not many.

thrawn

Reaction score
The NBA college gap isn’t so much the jump, it’s the lack of roster spots due to a smaller league, (especially relative to the number of basketball schools), a global talent pool eating up some of those jobs, and longer careers meaning less roster churn.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The NBA college gap isn’t so much the jump, it’s the lack of roster spots due to a smaller league, (especially relative to the number of basketball schools), a global talent pool eating up some of those jobs, and longer careers meaning less roster churn.
A quick search didn’t yield a good data comparison, but I’d be surprised if there was a material difference between the percentage of D1 players that make it to the highest level in the two sports.