Misc basketball recruiting notes

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
The thing that will really, really fucking suck is if Iowa State stars landing all of the elite in-state talent over Iowa.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
the only reason i didnt want Niang was because that would have meant that we dont get Woodbury

not coincidentally, ISU is not even recruiting Woodbury hard because they feel he is going to Iowa (or a blue blood)

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
He's a soft, slow big man. I'm sure we'll be able to find a better recruit.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
The thing that will really, really fucking suck is if Iowa State stars landing all of the elite in-state talent over Iowa.
The next couple years will be big. Hopefully Horner can help Fran land Jok.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
The next couple years will be big. Hopefully Horner can help Fran land Jok.
Too bad we couldn't land Indiana recruit Peter Jurkin to potentially go with Peter Jok.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I wonder if this will influence Percy Gibson in the least bit, I really don't know ISU's scholarship situation.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
the only reason i didnt want Niang was because that would have meant that we dont get Woodbury

not coincidentally, ISU is not even recruiting Woodbury hard because they feel he is going to Iowa (or a blue blood)
Iowa would have taken Woodbury, Niang and Meyer. Niang had nothing to do with Woodbury.

Reaction score
The scouting reports on that kid were all over the map, it was tough to get a feel on what kind of player he was. Video was pretty limited also.

If we get Woodbury it's not really a loss in my opinion. Athletically he didn't seem better than Meyer but he was thicker and had some post moves. If we miss on Woodbury, then you're talking about being back down to plan C/D again for a big guy. Woodbury and Gesell are what really matters for this class. Ideally now I think we go with Woodbury, Meyer, JUCO big inside for '12.

Last edited:

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
"Niang's ceiling is limited by his lack of physical tools but he couldn't be much more skilled than he already is at his position and projects as a very effective college basketball player at the proper level." - ESPN.com

Because he committed to ISU, I am going to assume ESPN is never wrong. They make him sound like a guy who will struggle rebounding and playing D, can score some points, but will always be a bench guy at a high major.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

Iowa would have taken Woodbury, Niang and Meyer. Niang had nothing to do with Woodbury.
perhaps, but we NEED a PG and likely an athletic wing in that class. that means we wont save a ride for 2013 like many have speculated.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
He was mentioned as a potential iowa prospect on a couple different boards. I thought it was this thread...maybe not.

Me, newsy, ali, and bcarolan all care:)

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I don't think Stokes is an option. What I was told tonight is Fran was very excited to watch Stokes, he flew out to NY and when he returned he was asked what he thought and he wasn't very impressed. Thinks he's way to small to be a good I am a giant douche point guard.
Old bump, but I just came across a video of Stokes online and remembered this post:

Start at around 1:38. Kid looks like an Oompa Loompa.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Midget City, boyz. He is lucky if he is 5'7''.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Kamari Murphy (#21 on his team) looks pretty good, though.

Legend12

Aaron White Fan Club President
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that all Fran has to do it get them to campus and then Hubbard can thug 'em up as needed.

He seems like the kinda guy that will have nicknames for every one.

Matt "Machine Gun" Gatens
Eric May "Day Malone"

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that all Fran has to do it get them to campus and then Hubbard can thug 'em up as needed.

He seems like the kinda guy that will have nicknames for every one.

Matt "Machine Gun" Gatens
Eric May "Day Malone"
Hubs.