**Northern Illinois vs. Iowa Basketball - 12/13/20 - 1:00pm - FS1**

Reaction score
I mean, let’s say for the sake of this example every tourney outcome is chalk based on pomeroys year-end model. We are currently #4 overall with an upper-70’s defense. I don’t think we don’t need to get 40 on AdjD to be #1 overall. But maybe we do.

Yes, history says you need a certain level of D to win it all, but that’s probably because no champ’s offense has been as good as ours relative to the field that year, but I am not going to look it up.
Your mom needs a certain level of D.

Reaction score
The teeth-gnashing about the D is a bit overreactive, imo.

The Hawks are doing what they should against inferior competition, winning handily - and hardly trying, for stretches during games.

After six games, Iowa is scoring an average of 100.5 ppg. And in that same span, they are allowing an avg of 68.5. They are winning games by an avg margin of 32 points.

Despite the "bad defense", they are still averaging NBA numbers on the offensive end and winning blowouts by twice as much more than what would be a healthy margin.

Don't care how good the opposing defense might be, Iowa's offense is too multi-faceted and elite to ever be truly "shut down".

Reaction score
I feel like only giving up 68.5 is good. Especially with all the extra possessions since Iowa gets out and scores fast.

L. Wade Childress

Has no idea what you are asking
Reaction score
I feel like only giving up 68.5 is good. Especially with all the extra possessions since Iowa gets out and scores fast.
weve played some bad, bad teams, although central hung with UNC.

that said we also have a bunch of freshman playing way more minutes than they will during conference season

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
It will be far more difficult for a team to hold Iowa in the 70's and actually win the game than it will be for Iowa to lose a game they allow a team to score in the 80's

Reaction score
It will be far more difficult for a team to hold Iowa in the 70's and actually win the game than it will be for Iowa to lose a game they allow a team to score in the 80's
So what you’re saying is Iowa will win more than they lose this year? I agree.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
It is. The problem is just that their schedule has been ass outside of NC so far. Their raw defensive efficiency to this point would make them a top 20 defense if it held up all year - but that's the point of adjusted efficiency.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
It is. The problem is just that their schedule has been ass outside of NC so far. Their raw defensive efficiency to this point would make them a top 20 defense if it held up all year - but that's the point of adjusted efficiency.
The plus side is that the Iowa defense *may* be better than 78th. I don't believe it is true based on how bad they are in ball screen defense, but there is a significant amount of gray area in those metrics right now.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
The plus side is that the Iowa defense *may* be better than 78th. I don't believe it is true based on how bad they are in ball screen defense, but there is a significant amount of gray area in those metrics right now.
Sure. Not a ton of game data and still blending out the pre-season rankings.