**Northwestern vs. Iowa - 2/10/19 - 5:30pm BTN**

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
I love that he is hitting shots late and everything, but he needs to start playing before the last couple minutes of the game. Start having that confidence throughout the game instead of passing on nearly every shot.
It's almost like he can be in scorer mode or distributor mode, but not able to balance both at once. Hopefully he reaches that level of maturity next season -- however, that's probably the toughest jump for a scoring pg to make.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I love that he is hitting shots late and everything, but he needs to start playing before the last couple minutes of the game. Start having that confidence throughout the game instead of passing on nearly every shot.
It's almost like he can be in scorer mode or distributor mode, but not able to balance both at once. Hopefully he reaches that level of maturity next season -- however, that's probably the toughest jump for a scoring pg to make.
Start hitting some threes earlier in the game and it is going to take that much more pressure off the post players and everyone else.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Could it be that it's easier for a not real tall, not real quick point guard to get shots off once defenses are a little worn down?

He hasn't really been taking any bad shots, so that's good.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
He was getting absolutely mugged by NW.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Yep. They were physical all night and slowed it way down on offense

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
doug means that in any previous year there would have been two more cakewalk non-con games, rather than msu and wisky in november.
Well, I guess that's an irrelevant way of looking at it.
Last year Iowa played two Big Ten games in December and by February 10th, had played 14 Big Ten games.
The Big Ten went to 20 games this year. They were at 18 last year. The only reason there were games in December last year is because the schedule was moved up due to the BTT at MSG and the season ending a week early.

It isn't irrelevant. Iowa instead of playing Wisconsin and Michigan State would have played a couple of cupcake teams at home and won.

That is why I am pointing out that 19-5 this year means 21-3 with the previous schedules. Playing 2 more conference games led to games against Top 10 teams instead of Top 300 teams.

Hope this helps.
You keep saying this, but why are you assuming that the two “extra” league games that were added were the two difficult ones against MSU and Wisconsin that Iowa lost?

Was the 2019-20 schedule of conference teams known before the 2 additional were added?

Or could it have just as easily been games versus teams like Rutgers and Illinois that Iowa won anyway. So they actually benefited by playing 2 more conference cupcakes instead of non-con cupcakes.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Last year Iowa played two Big Ten games in December and by February 10th, had played 14 Big Ten games.
The Big Ten went to 20 games this year. They were at 18 last year. The only reason there were games in December last year is because the schedule was moved up due to the BTT at MSG and the season ending a week early.

It isn't irrelevant. Iowa instead of playing Wisconsin and Michigan State would have played a couple of cupcake teams at home and won.

That is why I am pointing out that 19-5 this year means 21-3 with the previous schedules. Playing 2 more conference games led to games against Top 10 teams instead of Top 300 teams.

Hope this helps.
You keep saying this, but why are you assuming that the two “extra” league games that were added were the two difficult ones against MSU and Wisconsin that Iowa lost?

Was the 2019-20 schedule of conference teams known before the 2 additional were added?

Or could it have just as easily been games versus teams like Rutgers and Illinois that Iowa won anyway. So they actually benefited by playing 2 more conference cupcakes instead of non-con cupcakes.
Don't do this

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Was trying to think of Iowa buzzer beating wins....Recker’s in the btt. Gamble vs Oklahoma, although OU got an inbounds play after. Who else? Seems like Horner hit one, but I’m drawing blanks.
Ronnie Lester hit a long 3 to beat Illinois at the buzzer when he was a freshman.
He hit a long three years before there was a three point line?
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
I really did not get to watch the first half, but holy cow was that first attempt by Connor completely awful. It looked way short and left. Then he somehow follows it up with a super confident looking deep three that goes in. I have no idea what is going on in his head.
Connor is a turd on offense. He should be thanking the good lord that the NW defender kicked that pass because it was unlikely Joe would have been able to catch that cleanly
Defenses have figured him out. Until he quits being a pussy and stops turning down open looks he'll struggle. He doesn't have to be lights out, but he actually has to be a threat to shoot a little bit. He is jacked though.
Connor has the most awkward looking shot I've seen in a long time.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I really did not get to watch the first half, but holy cow was that first attempt by Connor completely awful. It looked way short and left. Then he somehow follows it up with a super confident looking deep three that goes in. I have no idea what is going on in his head.
Connor is a turd on offense. He should be thanking the good lord that the NW defender kicked that pass because it was unlikely Joe would have been able to catch that cleanly
I’m pretty sure that was a game tying layup. It was a nice tight curl and joe had him beat.
I couldn't find a clip online but I seem to remember thinking that pass had no shot of being completed when they showed the replay. It was really low and I looked like it would have been behind Joe if it hadn't been kicked. I could be wrong.

Perhaps someone has a clip of it

douglasbader

Reaction score

Hope this helps.

Somewhat correct, but you can realistically only take away 2 games total from the teams they play twice.

That leaves Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Indiana, Nebrantska, Northwestern and Rutgers.

The conference games would have never happened in December. Given the schedule to this point, they have only played Michigan State and Northwestern twice, so in your scenario remove those two games and add in 2 non-conference cupcakes.

I am simply saying that on February 11th as it stands Iowa would have 2 more wins and 2 less losses.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score

Hope this helps.

Somewhat correct, but you can realistically only take away 2 games total from the teams they play twice.

That leaves Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Indiana, Nebrantska, Northwestern and Rutgers.

The conference games would have never happened in December. Given the schedule to this point, they have only played Michigan State and Northwestern twice, so in your scenario remove those two games and add in 2 non-conference cupcakes.

I am simply saying that on February 11th as it stands Iowa would have 2 more wins and 2 less losses.
Still the same number of blowout victories over Iowa State, though. Just to be clear.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Also, there isn't exactly a single cupcake in the Big Ten, especially from the teams Iowa has to play twice this year.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
@eclone makes a fair point - you can't count two losses as the "extra" two games for sure. But @doug is right, the lowest ranked Big Ten team Iowa will play twice are Rutgers at 92 and Northwestern at 61. No way are even those games easier than what Iowa would have scheduled in its place.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Defenses have figured him out. Until he quits being a pussy and stops turning down open looks he'll struggle. He doesn't have to be lights out, but he actually has to be a threat to shoot a little bit. He is jacked though.
I thought his three looked pretty damn good. Good lift and higher release than we had been seeing from him.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
So what @douglasbader meant at the beginning of this entire thing is ....

If the Big Ten only played 18 conference games this year, Iowa would have two less losses at the end of the season.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
@eclone makes a fair point - you can't count two losses as the "extra" two games for sure. But @doug is right, the lowest ranked Big Ten team Iowa will play twice are Rutgers at 92 and Northwestern at 61. No way are even those games easier than what Iowa would have scheduled in its place.
Wait, so they're both...right...at..this...time?

Bob

Reaction score
I thought his three looked pretty damn good. Good lift and higher release than we had been seeing from him.
The ball was still pretty much at his ear i thought, and he still turned sideways and faded away for absolutely no reason like he does with all his jump shots. It is all sorts of fucked up, I have no idea how the son of a coach and two very good basketball players came away shooting like that.

You do not have to defend literally every single thing associated with an Iowa authority figure, it's okay.

Reaction score
It seems like Iowa hasn't had a guy that wants that shot at the end of games since Recker in the Douche Tournament.

Off the top of my head these are the clutch shots he's hit:
@Wisconsin his freshman year
@Nebrantska his freshman year (Iowa choked that one away)
@Penn State this year
@Indiana this year
@NW he made a 2 to put them up 7 with about 1:30 left
NW last night (he hit 3 3's and a 2)

It's been the one thing Iowa has missed for a long time. It seems Wisconsin has had that guy every year since Ryan took over, that hits the big shot in a tight game. 1.5 more years of bohannon doing it then he can pass it on to Joe.
No kidding. Joe is the same to a lesser extent at times. He was just out of rhythm for a while yesterday. He had a play in the 2nd half where he pulled a Moss and passed up an open 3 only to dribble into a wild, tough 2. He does that very rarely but he can create his own shot more than he realizes.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
It seems like Iowa hasn't had a guy that wants that shot at the end of games since Recker in the Douche Tournament.

Off the top of my head these are the clutch shots he's hit:
@Wisconsin his freshman year
@Nebrantska his freshman year (Iowa choked that one away)
@Penn State this year
@Indiana this year
@NW he made a 2 to put them up 7 with about 1:30 left
NW last night (he hit 3 3's and a 2)

It's been the one thing Iowa has missed for a long time. It seems Wisconsin has had that guy every year since Ryan took over, that hits the big shot in a tight game. 1.5 more years of bohannon doing it then he can pass it on to Joe.
No kidding. Joe is the same to a lesser extent at times. He was just out of rhythm for a while yesterday. He had a play in the 2nd half where he pulled a Moss and passed up an open 3 only to dribble into a wild, tough 2. He does that very rarely but he can create his own shot more than he realizes.
The baseline drive during the late run was a thing of beauty

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
You have to score every possession in the situation Iowa was in and they were smart enough not to just launch 3s.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The ball was still pretty much at his ear i thought, and he still turned sideways and faded away for absolutely no reason like he does with all his jump shots. It is all sorts of fucked up, I have no idea how the son of a coach and two very good basketball players came away shooting like that.

You do not have to defend literally every single thing associated with an Iowa authority figure, it's okay.
You are retarded

douglasbader

Reaction score
You have to score every possession in the situation Iowa was in and they were smart enough not to just launch 3s.
The crazy thing is they could have scored more as well. bohannon was fouled twice on a three and Moss was fouled on a drive.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
It's pretty crazy that the Carver crowd has been old as fuck for so long.
I am 56 and will be contributing to the higher age average next year, but I will not be leaving early, nor sitting on my hands. I am soooo looking forward to living within 25 minutes of Carver/Kinnick for the rest of my life.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
It's pretty crazy that the Carver crowd has been old as fuck for so long.
I am 56 and will be contributing to the higher age average next year, but I will not be leaving early, nor sitting on my hands. I am soooo looking forward to living within 25 minutes of Carver/Kinnick for the rest of my life.
enjoy the winters

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
Could it be that it's easier for a not real tall, not real quick point guard to get shots off once defenses are a little worn down?

He hasn't really been taking any bad shots, so that's good.
100%

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
I directed exactly one newscast one time. With a fucking script, it’s still really damn hard. The amount of focus necessary to direct a live ballgame is unreal.

I’d sleep for a week after.
I was an AP for NBC Sports where I had to sit in the truck during live games/events. Most of my work was post-production so I basically just tried to stay out of the way. The tension was ridiculous. If you made the mistake of entering the truck at the wrong time or just made a noise, the director would lose his shit. That was enough for me to change careers.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
I would suck miserably at that job.
I directed exactly one newscast one time. With a fucking script, it’s still really damn hard. The amount of focus necessary to direct a live ballgame is unreal.

I was an AP for NBC Sports where I had to sit in the truck during live games/events. Most of my work was post-production so I basically just tried to stay out of the way. The tension was ridiculous. If you made the mistake of entering the truck at the wrong time or just made a noise, the director would lose his shit. That was enough for me to change careers.
The Fox NFL A crew truck (Buck/Aikman crew) is crazy. You would think everyone hated each other but that is how they get their work done.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

The Fox NFL A crew truck (Buck/Aikman crew) is crazy. You would think everyone hated each other but that is how they get their work done.
Hey everybody!

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Hey everybody!
Already on the spreadsheet