**Northwestern vs. Iowa - 2/10/19 - 5:30pm BTN**

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Was trying to think of Iowa buzzer beating wins....Recker’s in the btt. Gamble vs Oklahoma, although OU got an inbounds play after. Who else? Seems like Horner hit one, but I’m drawing blanks.
Jarryd Cole hit a layup to beat KSU in Vegas IIRC. Woodbury in the NCAA tourney. Marble hit one against TN in the play in game that wasn’t a buzzer beater but sent it to OT, right?
Cyrus Tate hit the shot in Vegas.
Shit.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
It wasn't a buzzer beater, but Uthoff at Minnesota. bohannon at Wisconsin.

Reaction score
It's been said multiple times but can't be repeated enough. That never fucking happens for us. Unreal. Perfect execution down the stretch in the comeback. Took the easy 2's when they were there. Hit some tough 3's. Press was great. bohannon has enough stones for 100 men.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I know this is an exaggeration, but it cracks me up every single time Iowa does something great late in the game and watching the coaches. Every single time the reaction is the exact same from every single one....

Fran - stands stoic trying to copy Larry Bird and show nearly no emotion
Dillard - jumps up excited with both fists and catches himself realizing he should waive his arms and tell the players to get back on defense
Speraw - celebrates for a half second, sort of tries to grab Fran to tell him something and screams at everyone to get back
Francis - is the most dramatic and angry screaming and waving frantically for players to get back on defense even if the ball is already dead
Siebert - is down in the last 3rd of the bench and celebrates like a player for a few seconds

Francis is by far the worst and makes me want to slap him every time. Shut up you fucking dork.
Siebert was great tonight. I loled.

Reaction score
Looked tired for almost the entire game. Outhustled to loose balls, outrebounded terribly. Reverted on defense. Stagnant on offense. Ball went to Cook and everyone stood and/or he didn't look for anyone. 3 guys had almost all of our scoring for 30+ minutes. Students completely no-showed because apparently there's a lot of cool shit to do on a Sunday at 5:00. Crowd was flat and every time they tried getting it going, the team fucked it up.

Then it was all erased with an incredible 2-3 minutes. Been to 200+ games at Carver and have never seen anything like that. Most games are largely forgettable, moments are what sports are all about. That was fucking incredible.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Looked tired for almost the entire game. Outhustled to loose balls, outrebounded terribly. Reverted on defense. Stagnant on offense. Ball went to Cook and everyone stood and/or he didn't look for anyone. 3 guys had almost all of our scoring for 30+ minutes. Students completely no-showed because apparently there's a lot of cool shit to do on a Sunday at 5:00. Crowd was flat and every time they tried getting it going, the team fucked it up.

Then it was all erased with an incredible 2-3 minutes. Been to 200+ games at Carver and have never seen anything like that. Most games are largely forgettable, moments are what sports are all about. That was fucking incredible.
I'm not saying that Iowa is a great team or is going to be a great team, but I can't think of a really really good or great team that doesn't have at least one and sometimes multiple games where they do something similar like tonight. Those teams get down big to inferior teams and somehow find a way to crush the other team at the end with a huge comeback.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Can’t think of a higher degree of difficulty walkoff shot for the hawks in my lifetime.
Was trying to think of Iowa buzzer beating wins....Recker’s in the btt. Gamble vs Oklahoma, although OU got an inbounds play after. Who else? Seems like Horner hit one, but I’m drawing blanks.
Wasn’t there one at opening night at value city? Deano?

Reaction score
The crowd that stayed was awesome down the stretch given that there were only like 6,000 people left. A group of 4 dudes in KK were fucking tanked and got ejected in the first half. All because one guy was smashed and taunting the old people around him or something. Kept standing to piss them off then was shaking his ass at everyone and air humping in the aisle before he got the boot.

Some douche near me was bitching about everything non-stop from the jump. "You think you can go to the NBA Cook?" "Way to go Fran, keep it up." "Nice try Garza, way to go" about 5 times. "Be nice to have an actual PG, way to go Fran". Non fucking stop. Was sitting and pouting during the comeback all the way until the end. At the end he was jumping around and hugging everyone.

/csb

Reaction score

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
The crowd that stayed was awesome down the stretch given that there were only like 6,000 people left. A group of 4 dudes in KK were fucking tanked and got ejected in the first half. All because one guy was smashed and taunting the old people around him or something. Kept standing to piss them off then was shaking his ass at everyone and air humping in the aisle before he got the boot.

Some douche near me was bitching about everything non-stop from the jump. "You think you can go to the NBA Cook?" "Way to go Fran, keep it up." "Nice try Garza, way to go" about 5 times. "Be nice to have an actual PG, way to go Fran". Non fucking stop. Was sitting and pouting during the comeback all the way until the end. At the end he was jumping around and hugging everyone.

/csb
Denied.

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score

/csb
This is exactly why Iowa cannot have nice things.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Iowa fans have to be the worst at jumping on stupid narratives and ignoring reality. I partly blame our beat writers but that was a great example. It’s like do you fucking idiots have any original thoughts? Just fucking negative all the time.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Iowa fans have to be the worst at jumping on stupid narratives and ignoring reality. I partly blame our beat writers but that was a great example. It’s like do you fucking idiots have any original thoughts? Just fucking negative all the time.
For the record I thought the 0.6 second defense was awful. Completely open look that would have ruined everything.

Reaction score
Vic Law's 5 games prior to tonight: 4-24 from 3, 5-30 from 2. Tonight he was 4-6 from 3, 5-8 from 2. A.J. Turner was 1-10 from 2, went 5-6 in the first half. Those two were almost their entire offense in the first half. That was frustrating. Especially Law's banked in 28 footer at the shot clock. This was entirely "one of those nights" until it wasn't.

Reaction score
For the record I thought the 0.6 second defense was awful. Completely open look that would have ruined everything.
Yeah that was bad. Just watched it back though and it wouldn't have counted. Ball still on his hands with the red lights and horn going off.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Hawks missed at least 10 layups and close shots which almost always go in. Fortunate we haves a bunch of dudes with enormous testicles to make up for the missed bunnies.

Reaction score
I don't even know who compares to bohannon in a big moment in my lifetime. Woolridge had a couple shots that stand out but not many. Recker is probably closest but he didn't have that many. No one in the '03-'06 crew. Dev and Uthoff each had a couple but not a lot late. Gatens had some big games but not a lot late. Same for Jok.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I don't even know who compares to bohannon in a big moment in my lifetime. Woolridge had a couple shots that stand out but not many. Recker is probably closest but he didn't have that many. No one in the '03-'06 crew. Dev and Uthoff each had a couple but not a lot late. Gatens had some big games but not a lot late. Same for Jok.
Andre was the closest thing to this in my lifetime, but bohannon is now etched in my mind as the best Hawk in my life with the game on the line.

Maybe if Andre could have developed a left handed dribble. :icon_biggrin:

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Any word on Baer?

It takes a hell of a blow to make your ear bleed.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Literally ever play Iowa made down the stretch was the right play. Didn’t force any 3’s unless you count bohannon at the end. Even Moss had a nice drive and floater. Forced NW to make free throws which they only missed 2.

Whatever NW did defensively on that last possession was hilariously bad. They left bohannon to double Cook allowing Jordan an easy catch and dribble. You’d think Cook or Moss is where they would want the ball to go.
One of the worst shooting games Iowa has played (less than 42%), yet we made our last 7 shots of the game. Pretty incredible.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Can’t think of a higher degree of difficulty walkoff shot for the hawks in my lifetime.
Ronnie Lester hit a long 3 to beat Illinois at the buzzer when he was a freshman.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
When talking about great Iowa comebacks, our win over Michigan State in East Lansing the first game after Chris Street's death comes to mind, but that win last night has to be among our top 5 of all time.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
They couldn't foul and they allowed a 6-8 guy who shoots about 10% from three for his career a turnaround 25 footer that may or may not have gotten off on time.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
Ronnie Lester hit a long 3 to beat Illinois at the buzzer when he was a freshman.
I thought that Murray Weir's last second hook shot from the free throw line to beat Minnesota in 1947 was better.

I'm sure that @Sambud will remember that one.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Uhhh
So, Iowa won 84-81 at Assembly Hall that year. Was he meaning a long 2 with a foul? Otherwise, it wasn't a game winner.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
There was no 3 point line in college when Ronnie Lester played.

douglasbader

Reaction score
He hit a long three years before there was a three point line?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Check out the long three Michael Jordan hit 5 years later to win the NCAA Tournament.....

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Seems like I remember during the Carfino-Hansen-Berkenpas time the Big Ten tried the 3 point line.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
It wasn't a buzzer beater, but Uthoff at Minnesota. bohannon at Wisconsin.
Whites senior year Uthoff hit that way off balance 3 to tie the game at NW and send it to overtime. Then Iowa lost. Then they won 6 straight to end the year.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I like how before the game they were talking about Iowa having too many options and maybe not knowing who to go to at the end of games.

Then bohannon scored 13 points in the last 90 seconds and they had to shut up.

douglasbader

Reaction score
19-5 and any year prior would have been 21-3.