**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I must have missed it but I assume Heflin is gone?

Reaction score
Happy four years since Greg Davis retired!
I don't know, I rather miss the 3rd, 5th and 8th rated total offenses of the Ferentz era in a period of rather meh offensive talent.

Not to mention the quarterback developer.
Two NFL guys
Shimonek- 4000 yds at TT, in NFL camps
Sokol- 3400+ yds for La Tech
Ryan Boyle did very well at Indiana State

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
I don't know, I rather miss the 3rd, 5th and 8th rated total offenses of the Ferentz era in a period of rather meh offensive talent.

Not to mention the quarterback developer.
Two NFL guys
Shimonek- 4000 yds at TT, in NFL camps
Sokol- 3400+ yds for La Tech
Ryan Boyle did very well at Indiana State
This post is the worst thing to happen in America in the last 24 hours

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There are some names that are burned into my memory because hearing Mark Abbott slowly, dispassionately say them over and over was torture to me. Matt Replogle. Desmond Tardy. Scott Concannon. Demarlo Belcher.

I fully expect this one to be added to the list.

FatNTired

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
There are some names that are burned into my memory because hearing Mark Abbott slowly, dispassionately say them over and over was torture to me. Matt Replogle. Desmond Tardy. Scott Concannon. Demarlo Belcher.

I fully expect this one to be added to the list.

I spoke to Mark on the phone a few weeks ago. Like the voice of God, and he suggested the next time we are all at Kinnick to assume each down and distance is directed at me, and no one else. He's a rascal.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
There are going to be a lot of these the next few days. I feel like the Hawks have a lot of question marks heading into next season, but I won't object to a Top 15 ranking.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Feels like Iowa has a lot to replace going into next season

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Unless Petras improves I’m concerned about the offense, losing two of our best WR’s we’ve had in a long time will be a challenge.
Didn't really use them much this year, due to a QB who is fucking terrible. The guys still with iowa can watch the ball skid 5 yards in front of their feet just fine.

I'm most concerned with the defensive line and then depth in the secondary, should we see some injuries. Also depth at RB and TE positions, they need another guy or two to step up behind LaPorta with Beyer gone.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Didn't really use them much this year, due to a QB who is fucking terrible. The guys still with iowa can watch the ball skid 5 yards in front of their feet just fine.

I'm most concerned with the defensive line and then depth in the secondary, should we see some injuries. Also depth at RB and TE positions, they need another guy or two to step up behind LaPorta with Beyer gone.
Iowa always has good TEs. DL is the big concern for next yr

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
Unless Petras improves I’m concerned about the offense, losing two of our best WR’s we’ve had in a long time will be a challenge.
Luckily there are still some really good receivers coming back (hopefully). Tracy, Jones, Ragaini are all above average.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score

Phil Parker

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
DT is really the only question mark on defense. There are so many options at DE I refuse to believe it's even possible they won't be decent there absent a rash of injuries. The back seven is going to be excellent and deep.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
This is the first time I looked at the 2021 schedule. It looks....weird. The home schedule absolutely blows. We need to get off of this rotation where WI/ISU/NE are all in the same year.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
DT is really the only question mark on defense. There are so many options at DE I refuse to believe it's even possible they won't be decent there absent a rash of injuries. The back seven is going to be excellent and deep.
I think you’re being a little over-optimistic with this take.

Iowa lost its two leading pass rushers from last year. While Evans is effective in obvious pass downs, I worry about his effectiveness trying to be a full time player because of his size. Nixon was a one man wrecking crew last year, and his ability to collapse the pocket and create pressure allowed Phil do do all sorts of things with the back 7

Finding those 1-2 guys that create that pressure is going to be really important. There are options beyond Evans; the other grad transfer from N Ill, Craig, Waggoner, etc...but none are proven commodities there yet

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Won't happen but Iowa has the personnel to run a 3-4 next year

Evans - Benson - Jacobs - Campbell at linebacker

VanValkenburg and Waggoner at end

Shannon at NT

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Iowa lost its two leading pass rushers from last year. While Evans is effective in obvious pass downs, I worry about his effectiveness trying to be a full time player because of his size. Nixon was a one man wrecking crew last year, and his ability to collapse the pocket and create pressure allowed Phil do do all sorts of things with the back 7

Finding those 1-2 guys that create that pressure is going to be really important. There are options beyond Evans; the other grad transfer from N Ill, Craig, Waggoner, etc...but none are proven commodities there yet
With Phil's track record, I don't think there's reason to worry about proven commodities as long as the bodies are there. Aside from VanValkenburg, they have five guys who will either be in at least their third year in the program or have had extensive experience before joining the team. Then there's Black, who they apparently think is a future 1st round lock, and Craig, a recruit every school wanted. It's far more likely than not that they'll find three competent DEs out of that group to complement VanValkenburg.

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
If we start out winning games against two top-ten teams that could get attention.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

This is the same thing many were saying at this time last year. The DL was going to be a huge issue because they lost Epenesa and Lattimore and Rieff. VanValkenberg was mediocre at best and while Nixon was likely going to be really good, nobody really knew.

The reality is they ended up being even better than the year before. They went out and got a nice grad transfer DL, VanValkenberg developed into an All-Big Ten level player, Nixon went from "he might be really good" to an early entry 1st round lock.

I think the coaching staff is aware that they need to go grab a few grad transfers if possible, but there is a lot of returning talent on that line that can make the same sort of jump in development.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Won't happen but Iowa has the personnel to run a 3-4 next year

Evans - Benson - Jacobs - Campbell at linebacker

VanValkenburg and Waggoner at end

Shannon at NT
Lol, wut? Shannon is 288 lbs. that’s not a “nose tackle.”

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
With Phil's track record, I don't think there's reason to worry about proven commodities as long as the bodies are there. Aside from VanValkenburg, they have five guys who will either be in at least their third year in the program or have had extensive experience before joining the team. Then there's Black, who they apparently think is a future 1st round lock, and Craig, a recruit every school wanted. It's far more likely than not that they'll find three competent DEs out of that group to complement VanValkenburg.
I think Black would be a decent bet to be the next “guy playing part time snaps next year, looking fantastic, while Iowa Fan screams about him getting more playing time, plays full-time the following year as an All-B10 level player and off early to the NFL guy.”

douglasbader

Reaction score
Maybe this will turn out to not be the case, but I think Iowa has a shitload of talent on that line, it just hasn't played yet. They also have the sort of solid role players you always need like Shannon and Waggoner.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Plumb wasn't great either. Was hoping cronk would come back
He at least had the excuse of being young. I think with a full Spring ball, summer and fall camp he will be much better.