Official Goodbye Forever to 7th Year Senior Connor McCaffery

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Connor was a his best vs Illinois, mostly last year and the year before. Those are my fondest - and really only fond - memories of him. I thought his defense noticeably regressed this year. It sucked as much as it more than anyone’s except for his narrow hipped brother.

Reaction score
Box Score Doug over here doing the hard hitting analysis.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Connor played 100 min in the NCAA tournament, the equivalent to 2 1/2 games. He scored 12 points with a 30% fg%, 12 rebounds, 12 assists, and 6 turnovers. Irreplaceable.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Connor played 100 min in the NCAA tournament, the equivalent to 2 1/2 games. He scored 12 points with a 30% fg%, 12 rebounds, 12 assists, and 6 turnovers. Irreplaceable.
What he provided doesn't show up in the box score. He's the glue. An extra coach on the floor if you will.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I love Connor. Got the most out of his lack of talent

Reaction score
In addition to not showing up on the box score it didnt show up in the actual score either.

Reaction score
I dont think we will ever see someone lead free throw line huddles more authoritatively. Also very good at doing the inbounds play pass to someone else out of bounds thing once or twice a season. I will miss those things.

He also regularly led the ncaa in free throw lane violations induced.

The good news is now he can pass those skills on as next head coach.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I think guys like Connor are perfect examples of why it's dumb when people say Fran's players are soft or not tough enough.

Connor is "tough" I guess in that he's reasonably strong, doesn't back down, and occasionally got in fights. He just wasn't that great at basketball.

Fran doesn't need guys who are tougher. He needs some guards who are better at playing basketball.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Fran doesn't need guys who are tougher. He needs some guards who are better at playing basketball.

Especially in the NCAA tournament. You only go as far as your guards can take you.

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
Now that Fran has seen how Kirk set Brian up, don't be surprised if Connor ends up on the staff.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Fran needs some DAWGS who are athletic. I also don’t get the Sandfort poor defense takes. He plays as hard as his athletic ability allows and that’s fine.

J1973s

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
What he provided doesn't show up in the box score. He's the glue. An extra coach on the floor if you will.
Kind of a somewhat larger “pepper pot”.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
But he is the coaches son, and that can’t be replaced, even with a better player which is why we weren’t interested in a better player. Until the coaches next son gets to play

Reaction score
He had the 2nd highest career assist/turnover ratio in NCAA history. We can debate how that can be overblown but if you do that, you’re obviously a high-major player.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Get fucked
Oh fuck off and quit being dramatic. Name one of the assistant coaches we have that you would notice any difference if they were replaced by Connor? It isn’t like any of them are known for being fantastic recruiters or anything like that. I wasn’t saying hire him tomorrow, but he’s passionate, he knows the game and I’m sure he would be a fine assistant coach.

My point was that we shouldn’t have to rely on so much from someone with his limitations as a player.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think Connor would be allowed to work for his dad after all the Brian stuff.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Lol, one big family affair.

Was her daughter hired before Brian became the OC?
I’m pretty sure it was well after. Kids working for parents in college sports has become super common. I guess I think it’s a “become” thing, maybe it’s always been like this but the Brian debacle makes me more sensitive to it.

thrawn

Reaction score
Looks like the director of basketball ops, so not exactly a coach. But still, Iowa needs to move away from this stuff.
DBO and video coordinator are usually gigs you give to up and comers and maybe promote when an established assistant leaves. So not a full coach, but also a wasted opportunity for someone with better qualifications than blood.

Reaction score
He’s already said he’s going elsewhere and confirmed that after the game.

Uli Kunkel

Fireworks Enthusiast
Reaction score
That makes Connor smarter than Brian. That's assuming Fran even would've gone for it in the first place.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Looks like the director of basketball ops, so not exactly a coach. But still, Iowa needs to move away from this stuff.
lol, it happens everywhere

god forbid that coaches get to see their kids while holding a job that is otherwise brutal on family life

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
So in football we have Brian as the offensive coordinator and Kirks SIL Tyler Barnes as recruiting coordinator.

In men’s basketball the team had an 8 man rotation and 1/4 of that rotation was the coaches sons.

In womens basketball the director of ops is the coaches daughter

In wrestling the coaches brother is the top assistant, his nephew is a starter and his SIL was a 4 year starter before graduating last year.

It’s really not a big deal if these things work out. No one cares that Bluders daughter is on the staff because they’re winning. If it doesn’t work out it’s the first thing anyone is going to point towards and, well you have the other 3.

Uli Kunkel

Fireworks Enthusiast
Reaction score
And it becomes difficult to credibly tell Kirk he can't hire Brian if all of the other programs are doing the same thing.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Gymnastics also has a daughter of the coach on the team. Our wrestling Ops person is married to a wrestler.

I am sure there are plenty others I don’t know about.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I assume that the old volleyball coach was providing some outside instruction as well